MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
October 8, 2002
1. Call to Order.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN BILL DODD, SUPERVISORS MARK LUCE, MEL VARRELMAN, MIKEY RIPPEY AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
PAM KINDIG, AUDITOR-CONTROLLER, LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
DONNA DEWEERD, REGIONAL COORDINATOR, REPORTED ON THE NORTH BAY EMPLOYMENT CONNECTION NURSES WORKFORCE INITIATIVE.
5. Auditor-Controller requests the Board accept and instruct the Clerk of the Board to file the following Audit Report for the County Executive Office - Information Technology Services Division for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2001. (Report on file with Clerk of the Board)
6. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 2976 with Napa Emergency Women's Services, Inc. (NEWS) for a maximum of $15,000 for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003 to operate the domestic violence women's shelter and provide training.
7. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4373 with Progress Foundation, Inc., for a maximum of $179,027 for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003 to provide housing for mental health clients.
8. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4674 with Michael Shifflett, M.D., for a maximum of $12,000 for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003 to provide medical consultation.
9. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign renewals of the following agreements for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003 regarding the Mental Health Outpatient Managed Care Program:
A. Agreement No. 4586 with Fred Stoddard, M.D., for a maximum of $2,500;
B. Agreement No. 4587 with Vinita Wadhwani, M.D., for a maximum of $2,000;
C. Agreement No. 4615 with Bruce Anderson, M.D., for a maximum of $1,000; and
D. Agreement No. 4628 with C. Richard Hudson, M.D., for a maximum of $2,500.
10. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 2 to Agreement No. 4710 with Robert Zemanek, MFT, increasing the amount by $20,000 for a new maximum of $45,000 to provide counseling services in the Children’s Behavioral Health and Child Welfare Services Programs.
11. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a Declaration Not to Apply for Rural Health Services Program Funding for Fiscal Year 2002-2003.
12. Director of Health and Human Services and Compliance Officer request acceptance of the Compliance Program Quarterly Report for the period ending September 30, 2002.
13. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a lease agreement with Napa Valley Vintners Community Health Center for leased space, for the term October 1, 2002 through June 30, 2004 at a monthly rental amount of $500.
14. Director of Public Works/Aviation requests the following:
A. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 29 appropriating $1,298,418 with offsetting revenue from a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grant for four Airport Improvement Projects (AIP No. 16) (4/5 vote required); and
B. Approval of plans and specifications for the “Napa County Airport Spall and Corner Break Repairs on Runway 18R-36L Project,” PW 02-19, a portion of AIP No. 3-06-0162-16, authorization to advertise for bids and setting 3:30 P.M. on October 24, 2002 for opening of sealed bids.
15. Human Resources Director requests adoption of resolution approving the revised class specification with regards to the position of Assistant County Probation Officer, effective October 8, 2002.
16. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution amending the Departmental Allocation List, Table and Index and Class Specification with regards to several positions in the County Executive Office and its Divisions, effective October 5, 2002. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
17. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4198 with Napa Valley Economic Development Corporation for an amount not-to-exceed $79,650 and extending the term to June 30, 2003.
18. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign renewals of the following agreements for the term October 8, 2002 through September 30, 2003 for capital improvement projects:
A. Agreement No. 4301 with the Napa Valley Vintners Community Health Center for a maximum amount of $100,000;
B. Agreement No. 4441 with the Juvenile Justice Network for a maximum amount of $125,000; and
C. Agreement No. 4653 with the Boys & Girls Club of American Canyon for a maximum amount of $32,300.
19. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4716 with Terry Longoria increasing the amount by $50,000 for a new maximum of $100,000 and extending the term to October 31, 2003 for community partnership services.
20. County Executive Officer/Purchasing Agent requests authorization to declare certain items as surplus, no longer required for public use, and dispose of them at public auction. (Complete list on file with the Clerk of the Board)
21. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of September 17, 2002.
22. Discussion of items removed from the consent calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 6 THROUGH 21.
23. 10:00 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Thomas Pollock, et al., to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on August 7, 2002 to approve Stoney Springs Vineyards Winery/Glenn Cook and Gayle Shurtz - Use Permit No. 01148-UP to modify Use Permit Exemption #SW-198889 to: (1) increase the production capacity from 6,500 to 20,000 gallons per year; (2) construct a 1,400 square foot winery addition for a total winery floor area of 2,789 square feet; (3) increase the number of custom producers from one to six who will utilize 30% (6,000 gallons per year) of the proposed production capacity; (4) modify custom production activities to include retail wine sales, one administrative office, distribution and shipping, tours and tasting by appointment only;
(5) allow a maximum of two of the four employees for custom production activities; and,
(6) add a marketing plan to recognize one private marketing event and add two custom producer marketing events for a total of 3 annual private promotional events with a maximum of 150 person per event, located on a 18.84 acre parcel at the terminus of North Fork Crystal Springs Road approximately 3,000 feet east of Silverado Trail within an AW (Agricultural Watershed) zoning district. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 021-030-032) 264 Crystal Springs Road, St. Helena. Environmental determination: Mitigated Negative Declaration prepared. (Staff requests continuance to November 5, 2002 at 11:00 a.m.)
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO NOVEMBER 5, 2002 AT 11:00 A.M.
24. Director of Public Works requests the following actions:
A. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 27 appropriating $50,000 from the Contingency Fund to Public Works Engineering (4/5 Vote Required); and
APPROVED REQUEST BW-V-L-R-D BT-27
B. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Philip Williams and Associates, Ltd. for a maximum of $50,000 for hydrological services regarding the review and analysis of data relating to various water basins in Napa County.
APPROVED REQUEST V-BW-L-R-D A-4853
25. Discussion and possible action including, but not limited to, the following legislation:
School Facilities Bonds (Measure M). (Continued from October 1, 2002)
THE BOARD WENT ON RECORD IN SUPPORT OF THE SCHOOL FACILITIES BONDS (MEASURE M).
26. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
27. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
CHAIRMAN DODD REQUESTED STAFF COORDINATE WITH THE NAPA COUNTY RESOURCE CONSERVATION DISTRICT TO SCHEDULE A PRESENTATION REGARDING GREEN CERTIFICATION PROGRAM.
28. Closed Session.
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd; BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstain