MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
September 3, 2002
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN SPECIAL SESSION, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN BILL DODD, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MARK LUCE, MEL VARRELMAN AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT. THE MEETING WAS CALLED TO ORDER BY CHAIR DODD AT 9:00 A.M.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
STEVE LEDERER, DEPUTY DIRECTOR, CONSERVATION, DEVELOPMENT & PLANNING DEPARTMENT, LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment.
TERRENCE KEENAN SUBMITTED A PHOTO FROM AN ARTICLE IN THE NAPA VALLEY REGISTER DATED DECEMBER 22, 1960 REGARDING SLOUGHING OF THE LEVEE LOCATED IN THE NAPA RIVER RECLAMATION DISTRICT AND EXPRESSED CONCERN ABOUT THE POTENTIAL OF FUTURE SLOUGHING OF THE LEVEE.
4. 9:00 A.M. Public Hearing Appeal filed by Michael Zatkin, Attorney on behalf of Anthony Truchard, Eve Kahn, Ginny Simms and Get A Grip On Growth to an August 1, 2001 decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission to approve Carneros Partners, Inc. – Use Permit Request No. 98511-UP to establish a 100-unit resort, including the construction of lodge structures and guest cottages, a 100-seat restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, banquet and meeting rooms, a maximum 10,000 square -foot retail facility including food and post office, administrative offices, recreational improvements, water treatment and sewage treatment facilities, a 10,000 square-foot public square and parking for 191 vehicles, located on three parcels totaling 10.48 acres adjacent to and northeast of the intersection of State Highway 12/121 (Carneros Highway) and Old Sonoma Highway within a Commercial Limited (CL) Zoning District (Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 047-110-025 and 047-110-026), and "access parcel" (Assessor’s Parcel No. 047-110-019) within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. The proposed project is adjacent to, and integrated with, the Carneros Inn Recreational Vehicle Park/Mobile Home Park Facility under construction (pursuant to Use Permit No. 98290-MOD), and is more fully described and evaluated in the Draft Environmental Impact Report for Carneros Lodge, the written public comment period for which was advertised and held between April 19 and June 4, 2001.
Environmental Determination: Environmental Impact Report Prepared.
(CONTINUED FROM NOVEMBER 6, 2001, JANUARY 22, MARCH 5, MARCH 12, MARCH 26, JUNE 4, JULY 9, JULY 16 AND AUGUST 20, 2002)
THE BOARD DIRECTED STAFF MAKE CHANGES TO THE CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL BASED ON TODAY’S DISCUSSION IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
· NUMBER 11: ADDRESS THE $250,000 CONTRIBUTION.
· ADDRESS EXCESSIVE WATER USAGE.
· NUMBER 17: LOT LINE ADJUSTMENT TO BE LIMITED TO THE PORTION NEEDED FOR THE DRIVEWAY.
· A DEED RESTRICTION REQUIRING ALL PARCELS BE SOLD TOGETHER.
A MOTION BY SUPERVISOR VARRELMAN TO REDUCE THE PROJECT TO 25 UNITS DIED FOR LACK OF A SECOND.
THE BOARD APPROVED TRAFFIC RECOMMENDATIONS, AS PROPOSED BY WHITLOCK AND WEINBERGER.
THE BOARD MADE A TENTATIVE MOTION OF APPROVAL TO PREPARE FINDINGS OF FACT AND REVISED CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL REGARDING COMMERCIAL SPACE OF 2,500 SQUARE FEET INCLUDING THE POST OFFICE AND CONFERENCE CENTER AND TIED TO THE OPERATIONS OF THE COMMERCIAL CENTER AND RESTAURANT, ADDITION OF THE APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE FOR COMBINING PARCELS THROUGH EITHER A MERGER OR DEED RESTRICTION, AND TO CONTINUE THE PUBLIC HEARING TO OCTOBER 1, 2002 AT 10:00 A.M. THE CONTINUANCE IS FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF SUBMITTING THE CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL AS REVISED AND TO ALLOW BOTH SIDES TO ARGUE WHETHER OR NOT THE REVISED CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL ACCURATELY REFLECT THE BOARD’S DECISION.
5. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
6. Closed Session.
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
i) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b):
ii) Initiation of litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c):
CLOSED SESSIONS HELD – NO REPORTABLE ACTION.
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M.
BILL DODD, Chairperson
TERI SISSON, Supervising Clerk of the Board
L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd; BW = Brad Wagenknecht
The maker of the motion and second are reflected respectively in the order of the recorded vote.
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstain