MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
August 14, 2001
1. Call to Order.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, AUGUST 14, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MIKE RIPPEY, SUPERVISORS MARK LUCE, BILL DODD AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT. SUPERVISOR MEL VARRELMAN WAS EXCUSED.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
DISTRICT ATTORNEY GARY LIEBERSTEIN LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment
AL CARDWELL SPOKE CONCERNING HIS APPLICATION FOR CHANGED ASSESSMENT OF HIS PROPERTY TAXES.
KENNETH R. DALY ADVISED THE BOARD OF AN ALLEDGED PARCEL OF LAND THAT IS LANDLOCKED WITHIN A VINEYARD OWNED BY
DONALD HARMS, WHO RESIDES AT 3185 DRY CREEK ROAD. MR. DALY INDICATED THE APPROXIMATE 1 ACRE
PARCEL WAS SOLD IN 1860 BY HIS
ANCESTORS TO NAPA COUNTY FOR $1 TO HOLD THE PROPERTY IN TRUST AS A
CEMETERY. MR. DALY REQUESTED THE COUNTY
RE-ESTABLISH RIGHT-OF-WAY, THE ORIGINAL BOUNDARIES OF THE PARCEL AND PROVIDE
SECURITY FENCING. MR. DALY SUGGESTED
EITHER A MAINTENANCE BUDGET BE ESTABLISHED FOR THE CEMETERY OR THAT IT BE GIVEN
BACK TO THE ORIGINAL
OWNERS OR THEIR DECENDENTS.
THE MATTER WAS REFERRED TO PUBLIC WORKS STAFF AND SUPERVISOR MARK
LUCE, AS THE DISTRICT SUPERVISOR.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
CHIEF PROBATION OFFICER JIM ROLAND ADVISED THAT NAPA COUNTY’S PROPOSAL FOR THE USE OF CPA 2000 FUNDS WERE APPROVED BY THE STATE BOARD OF CORRECTIONS AND A PROGRESS REPORT IS DUE TO THE STATE ON AUGUST 15, 2001 THAT REQUIRES BOARD APPROVAL.
THE BOARD ACCEPTED THE ABOVE INFORMATION AND REFERRED TO STAFF ACCORDINGLY.
5. Chief Probation Officer requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Amy Stout, Deputy Probation Officer, and Lisa DeLaca, Juvenile Hall Counselor, to attend the Rocky Mountain Conference on Restorative Community Justice in Keystone, Colorado, from September 3-6, 2001 at an estimated cost not to exceed $2,200.
6. District Attorney requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List adding one (1) Limited Term District Attorney Investigator and one (1) Limited Term Senior Account Clerk to be funded by the Gang Suppression Grant, effective August 18, 2001.
7. Auditor-Controller requests the following:
A. Adoption of a resolution adopting the tax rates for Fiscal Year 2001-2002
Secured Tax Roll; R-01-95
B. Adoption of a resolution establishing Fiscal Year 2001-2002 appropriation
limit and estimated revenue subject to the limit for the County of Napa, as required by Article XIII-B of the California Constitution; and
C. Authorization to prepare the necessary accounting entries to close the
financial books for Fiscal Year ended June 30, 2001.
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval to submit continuation of funding grant applications to the Napa County Child and Families Commission for the term March 1, 2002 through February 28, 2003 in an amount totaling $229,723 for the Therapeutic Child Care Center and the Touchpoints Training Project.
APPROVED, AS AMENDED TO INDICATED NAPA COUNTY CHILDREN AND FAMILIES COMMISSION (RATHER THAN NAPA COUNTY CHILD AND FAMILIES COMMISSION).
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign renewal of Agreement No. 946 with the California Department of Veteran's Affairs for release of FY 2001/2002 State funding for the County Veterans Service Office.
10. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4204 with Alternatives for Better Living, for a maximum of $115,850, for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002, for provision of services to the Napa County Drug Court.
11. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution restricting the parking, stopping, and standing of vehicles on portions of Coombsville Road along Mt. George School.
12. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Franks Janitorial Service for a maximum of $4,020 for the term August 14, 2001 through June 30, 2002, with an option for automatic annual renewal, for office cleaning at the County's Records Center located at 994 Kaiser Road.
13. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to execute Subordination Agreements relating to County Lease Agreements Nos. 3399 and 4506, with the Norman and Else Madsen 1992 Revocable Trust, for office space located at 1710 Soscol Avenue.
14. Director of Public Works requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List adding one (1) full-time Account Clerk II position and deleting one (1) half-time Account Clerk II position, effective September 1, 2001.
15. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Michael Ross ♦ Charles Drulis Architects & Planners, Inc., of Sonoma, CA, for a maximum of $920,918 for the term August 20, 2001 through August 31, 2005, to prepare plans, specifications and engineering, assistance with construction bidding and administration, and coordination activities with the Board of Corrections for the expansion and modernization of the Napa County Juvenile Justice Center.
16. Acting Library Director requests approval to apply for a grant in the amount of $3,547 from the California State Library for Fiscal Year 2001-02 for the Public Library Staff Education Program.
APPROVED, AS AMENDED TO INDICATED A GRANT IN THE AMOUNT OF $7,095 (RATHER THAN $3,547).
17. Job Training Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 for client job skills training:
A. Agreement with Boston Reed Company for a maximum of $8,000; and
B. Agreement with Palkar, Inc. for a maximum of $40,000.
18. Job Training Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Napa Valley College at a cost not to exceed $94,961 for the term May 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002 for activities related to Caregiving Training Initiative grant program.
19. Local Enforcement Agency Manager requests:
A. Adoption of a resolution authorizing the submittal of an application to the
California Integrated Waste Management Board for the 2001/02 Waste
Tire Enforcement Grant in the amount of $32,894 for the term September, 2001 through April, 2004; and
B. Authorization for the Assistant County Administrator to execute the
20. Regional Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an application for a $750,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy to build capacity in local One-Stop Centers to provide customized employment services.
21. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meetings of July 10, 2001.
22. Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 5 THROUGH 21, AS AMENDED. D-L-V-BW-R
23. 9:00 a.m. - Auditor-Controller requests approval of the final appropriation and revenue levels, and adoption of a resolution establishing the total financing requirements for Fiscal Year 2001/02 Final Budget for County Service Area No. 3 governed by the Board of Supervisors. (Public Hearing Closed)
ADOPTED RESOLUTION BW-L-V-D-R R-01-93
24. 9:00 a.m. - Board of Supervisors sitting as the Board of Directors of the Silverado Community Services District.
(SEE SILVERADO COMMUNITY SERVICES DISTRICT MINUTES)
25. 9:00 a.m. - Board of Supervisors sitting as the Board of Directors of the Lake Berryessa Resort Improvement District.
(SEE LAKE BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
26. 9:00 a.m. - Board of Supervisors sitting as the Board of Directors of the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District:
(SEE NAPA-BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
27. 9:00 a.m. - Board of Supervisors sitting as the Board of Trustees of the Monticello Public Cemetery District.
(SEE MONTICELLO PUBLIC CEMETERY DISTRICT MINUTES)
28. 9:30 a.m. - Captain Jim McLaughlin, California Highway Patrol, to report on success of 'Saturation Patrols' to reduce injuries and accidents.
THE BOARD REQUESTED CHP, NAPA AREA ENFORCEMENT DATA/CITATION COUNTS FOR CARNEROS HIGHWAY.
29. 2:00 p.m. - Recess to the Napa County Flood Protection and Watershed Improvement Authority meeting.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD PROTECTION AND WATERSHED IMPROVEMENT AUTHORITY MINUTES)
30. Clerk of the Board request appointment of the following three (3) persons to serve on the Napa County Commission on Self Esteem. Appointees to be nominated by the Supervisors as listed below with the specified terms of office:
Dee M. Cage
Douglas T. Draeger
Robert Lee Carr
Category of Appointment Term of Office
Supervisor Mark Luce 1-1-02
Supervisor Mel Varrelman 1-1-04
Supervisor Bill Dodd 1-1-03
SUPERVISOR DODD NOMINATED AND THE BOARD APPOINTED ROBERT LEE CARR WITH THE TERM OF OFFICE TO EXPIRE JANUARY 1, 2003. BW-L-V-D-R
CONTINUED THE APPOINTMENTS TO BE MADE BY SUPERVISOR
MARK LUCE AND SUPERVISOR MEL VARRELMAN TO AUGUST 21, 2001.
31. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
COUNTY COUNSEL ROBERT WESTMEYER ADVISED REGARDING THE SENATE PASSAGE OF AB 1550, A BILL THAT WOULD ALLOW THE COUNTY TO ESTABLISH A FARMWORKER HOUSING SERVICE AREA TO FUND FARMWORKER HOUSING.
32. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR BILL DODD REPORTED ON HIGHWAY 12/JAMISON CANYON STEERING COMMITTEE AND THE SPIRIT OF COOPERATION BETWEEN LOCAL AND SOLANO COUNTY OFFICIALS AND CAL TRANS. SUPERVISOR DODD ADVISED THAT STEERING COMMITTEE MEETINGS WOULD BE HELD QUARTERLY.
33. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
34. Closed Session regarding:
A. Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation (Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
i) Name of Case: Napa Citizens for Honest Government et al.,
Plaintiffs and Appellants, v. Napa County Board of Supervisors, Defendant and Appellant.A089095 (Napa County Superior Court No. 26-04014)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ii) Name of Case: County of Napa/Deputy Sheriff's Association
(CSMCS Case No. ARB-00-0423, NB 2000)
THE BOARD AUTHORIZED COUNSEL TO FILE A REQUEST FOR REHEARING. L-BW-V-D-R
B. Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation
Initiation of litigation pursuant to Government Code
Section 54956.9(c): Bonanno v. Central Contra Costa Transit Authority (participating as amici)
THE BOARD AUTHORIZED COUNSEL TO FILE AN AMICUS BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF THE CENTRAL CONTRA COSTA TRANSIT AUTHORITY.
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstain