MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
July 31, 2001
1. Call to Order.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, JULY 31, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MIKE RIPPEY, SUPERVISORS MARK LUCE, MEL VARRELMAN, BILL DODD AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
FORMER SUPERVISOR VINCE FERRIOLE LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Presentation of a proclamation declaring August, 2001 as Hunger Awareness Month in Napa County.
THE CHAIRMAN PRESENTED PROCLAMATION TO VINCE FERRIOLE.
MR. FERRIOLE INTRODUCED FELLOW BOARD OF DIRECTORS.
ACCOLADES WERE EXPRESSED FOR MEMBER DAN CORSELLO WHO HAS NOT LOST SIGHT OF THE MOST VULNERABLE PEOPLE IN NAPA COUNTY.
AN INVITATION WAS EXTENDED TO THE “HANDS ACROSS THE VALLEY” FUND RAISING EVENT TO BE HOSTED BY
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA AT HIS ESTATE ON SATURDAY, AUGUST 4, 2001.
4. Public Comment.
AL CARDWELL PROTESTED HIS PROPERTY TAXES.
5. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
6. Auditor-Controller requests concurrence to establish the threshold for Minor Projects, Betterments and Alteration at $150,000 for Capital Improvement Projects in accordance with the California State Controllers Manual.
7. Treasurer/Tax Collector requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Tamie Frasier, Treasury Manager and Judy Ellis, Collections Supervisor, to attend the High Mobility Solutions, Inc. Billing System Conference in Colorado Springs, Colorado, from September 27-28, 2001, at an estimated cost of $2,500.
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4439 with ECHO Management Group revising the training schedule.
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements with Maxwell & Hallis for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002:
A. Agreement for a maximum of $22,000 to provide consultation with the
State Department of Mental Health Cost Report for Fiscal Year 2000/2001; and
B. Renewal of Agreement No. 4436 for a maximum of $12,000 to provide consultation with the State Department of Alcohol and Drug Cost Report for Fiscal Year 2000/2001.
10. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests the following actions with the Napa County Transportation Planning Agency (NCTPA) for the Vanpool/Carpool and the Guaranteed Ride Home Programs:
A. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement for a maximum of $62,500 for the term July 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002 for the Job Access Reverse Commute Program;
B. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement for a maximum of $81,524 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2003 for the provision of transit services under the Low Income Flexible Transit Program (LIFT); and
C. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 6 increasing appropriations by $41,000, with offsetting revenue in Social Services. (4/5 vote required)
11. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 to provide services in the Mental Health Outpatient Managed Care Program:
A. Renewal Agreement No. 4060 with Kevin Kappler, Ph.D., for a maximum of $26,000; A-4060
B. Renewal Agreement No. 4037 with Ron Haimowitz, Ph.D., for a maximum of $10,000; A-4037
C. Renewal Agreement No. 4170 with Lena Kibble, MFCC, for a maximum of $15,000; A-4170
D. Renewal Agreement No. 4282 with Loretta C. Silvagni, LCSW, for a maximum of $13,000; A-4282
E. Agreement with Sandra Dawood, Ph.D., for a maximum of $4,000;
F. Agreement with Kyle F. Freeman, LCSW, for a maximum of $4,000;
G. Agreement with Robert Heying, Ph.D., for a maximum of $3,000;
H. Agreement with Fred Hollander, MFCC, for a maximum of $8,000;
I. Agreement with Gregory Matsumoto, Psy.D., for a maximum of $11,000;
J. Agreement with Maureen O’Shea, Ph.D., for a maximum of $9,000;
K. Agreement with Carol Nagle, LCSW, for a maximum of $3,000;
L. Agreement with Dana Talbot, MFT, for a maximum of $8,000;
M. Agreement with Mimi Wolfe, MFCC, for a maximum of $7,000;
N. Agreement with Joni Yacoe, MFCC, for a maximum of $2,500; and
O. Agreement with Susan Schmall, Ph.D., for a maximum of $5,000.
12. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Karl Porter, Staff Services Analyst II, to attend the Council on Accreditation’s Second Annual National Conference on Best Practice in New York, New York, from August 4 through 7, 2001, at an estimated cost of $1,200.
13. Director of Environmental Management requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 3 to Agreement No. 3353 with the Upper Valley Waste Management Agency to provide for the inclusion of support services by the Local Enforcement Agency.
14. Director of Public Works requests authorization for Chairman to sign a letter to Commissioners of the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) in support of an Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) Power's Petition for Modification of a PUC decision imposing a procurement surcharge on electric rates for a period when ABAG Power members were not purchasing power from Pacific Gas and Electric Company.
15. Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 5 transferring a total of $2,863,532 in various budget units from fixed asset accounts to service and supply accounts, to comply with provisions of GASB 34, with no financial impact to any fund. (4/5 vote required)
APPROVED AS AMENDED TO INDICATE A TOTAL OF $1,272,162 (RATHER THAN $2,863,532). BT-5
16. Information Technology Services Director requests approval of and authorization to extend to June 30, 2002 the Purchasing Agent authority to issue CMAS purchase orders for the following:
A. Agreement with Hewlett-Packard Company under CMAS Contract No. 3-
94-70-0011 in the amount of $39,610 for hardware and software maintenance and materials for the two "K-Class" servers; and
B. Agreement with NEC Business Network Solutions under CMAS Contract No. 3-98-00-0226A in the amount of $21,442 to provide hardware, firmware and software technical support upgrades and extended warranty services, for routers, switches and associated peripherals.
17. Personnel Director requests the following actions, effective September 1, 2001:
A. Approve monthly rates for retirees over age 65 for Kaiser Medicare Plan, Kaiser Senior Advantage Plans and PacifiCare Secure Horizons Plan;
B. Approve implementation and monthly rates for PacifiCare Senior Supplement Plan; and
C. Authorize Personnel Director to sign respective service agreements.
(Details on file with Clerk of the Board)
18. Personnel Director requests the following actions, effective September 1, 2001:
A. Approve new monthly rates for Pacific Union Dental Plan; and
B. Authorize Personnel Director to sign service agreement.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
19. Personnel Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 for occupational health services:
A. Agreement with Job Care Medical Services at St. Helena Hospital; and
B. Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4346 with WorkHealth at Queen of the Valley Hospital.
20. Personnel Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 for fitness club participation in the County Wellness Program:
A. Agreement with Exertec Health Systems, Inc. dba Exertec Fitness Center; A-4528
B. Agreement with Back Street Fitness, Inc. dba Healthquest Fitness and Aerobic Center; A-4529
C. Agreement with Napa Valley Athletic Club, Inc.;
D. Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4408 with Basics Gym; and
E. Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4409 with St. Helena Fitness & Health Center. A-4409
21. Regional Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the two-year plan modification to the Workforce Investment Act Strategic Five-Year Local Plan.
22. Regional Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an application for California Rapid Response Assistance funding from the State of California Employment Development Department for a maximum of $145,000 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002.
23. Regional Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Napa Valley Workforce Investment Board (WIB) for a maximum of $1,000,000 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2003 to provide One Stop employment services to employers, employees and job seekers.
24. County Administrator and Personnel Director request approval of the Memoranda of Understanding with Public Services Employee Unit and Public Services Employee-Supervisory Unit of the Napa Association of Public Employees, SEIU Local 614, effective July 21, 2001. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
25. County Administrator and Personnel Director request approval of equity and benefit adjustments for Management Non-Classified, Management and Confidential Employees consistent with adjustments negotiated with the Napa Association of Public Employees. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
26. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of June 19, 2001.
CONTINUED TO AUGUST 7, 2001.
27. Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
(SEE ITEM NUMBER 26)
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 6 THROUGH 25, AS AMENDED. BW-V-L-D-R
28. 9:30 a.m. - Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization.
(SEE BOARD OF EQUALIZATION MINUTES)
29. 9:30 a.m. - Public Hearings- Board to consider:
Napa Sanitation District – General Plan Amendment Request No. GPA 95-06. Board to consider adoption of resolution to approve General Plan Amendment on 306 acres of property owned by the Napa Sanitation District, to change the land use map in the County General Plan from Public Institutional to Agriculture Watershed and Open Space. The land use map change will allow a golf course as a use with an approved use permit for same. The golf course is not an allowable use in the current Public Institutional land use designation. The site is located west of Devlin Road, south of Soscol Ferry Road, north of Sheehy Creek, and east of the California Northern railroad tracks within the Agricultural Watershed:Airport Compatibility Combination (AW:AC)
Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 046-400-015; 046-400-016; 057-010-036 and 057-010-037). Environmental Determination: Environmental Impact Report Certified.
Three (3) appeals filed as to the decision of the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on April 18, 2001 to approve HCV Napa Associates LLC - Use Permit Request No. 98177-UP - Development plan to construct a resort, golf course, and convention center on a 405-acre site located within and adjacent to the Napa Airport Industrial Area Specific Plan business park. The resort consists of 458 guest rooms and 36 guest villas, for a total of 494 guest rooms and suites; two restaurants, a bar, a wine shop, and a deli, for a combined seating capacity of 450; a total of 120,580 square feet of conference space with 52,380 square feet in Phase One and 68,200 square feet in Phase Two (including a freestanding 45,500 square foot conference building) a 9,528 square foot spa facility; and two pools. Total building area would be approximately 564,513 square feet. The proposed golf course is an 18-hole championship course, with pro shop, driving range, parking, and access roads, located on land owned by the Napa Sanitation District, and would utilize treated effluent from the District for irrigation purposes. The project also includes bicycle/pedestrian paths, 40 acres of landscaping, 61 acres of vineyards, and a total of 771 parking spaces in Phases One and Two. The use permit also includes a request to allow various architectural features to exceed the 35-foot height limit set forth in Section 18.80.050.E of the Airport Compatibility Zoning District. The project site is located west of Devlin Road, south of Soscol Ferry Road, north of Sheehy Creek, and east of the California Northern railroad tracks within the Industrial Park: Airport Compatibility Combination (IP:AC) and Agricultural Watershed: Airport Compatibility Combination (AW:AC) Zoning Districts. (Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 046-400-015, 046-400-016, 057-010-036 and 057-010-037; 057-020-006, 057-020-017, 057-020-018, 057-020-020 and 057-020-025; 057-170-001 and 057-170-010; 057-210-002). Environmental Determination: Environmental Impact Report Certified.
The appeals were filed by:
A. Napa Sierra Club
B. Napa County Farm Bureau
C. HCV Napa Associates LLC
(Public Hearings Continued From June 26, 2001)
THE BOARD DETERMINED THAT IT WOULD CONSIDER THE FACTS AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE THE FINDINGS ONCE ALL PARTIES ARE IN AGREEMENT. V-D-L-BW-R
IT WAS STATED THAT THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS WOULD BE SITTING AS THE CONSERVATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING COMMISSION.
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 AT 9:30 A.M.
30. Clerk of the Board requests the Board of Supervisors appoint one (1) member and one (1) alternate to serve on the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) sponsored Regional Aviation Work Group.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT NOMINATED AND THE BOARD APPOINTED MIKE RIPPEY, AS THE MEMBER.
SUPERVISOR BRAD WAGENKNECHT WAS APPOINTED AS THE ALTERNATE MEMBER. BW-D-L-V-R
31. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
32. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
33. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
NON-SPECIFIC DATE - REPORT ON THE AFFECTS OF THE STATE BUDGET ON NAPA COUNTY. (SUPERVISOR RIPPEY)
34. Closed Session regarding:
Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation (Government Code
Section 54956.9 (a))
Name of Case: County of Napa/Deputy Sheriff's Association (CSMCS Case
No. ARB-00-0423, NB 2000)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstain