MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
March 20, 2001
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MIKE RIPPEY, SUPERVISORS MARK LUCE, MEL VARRELMAN, BILL DODD AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
JACKIE DOLLAR LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment
MURIEL FAGIANI REQUESTED THAT ITEM NUMER 15 BE HELD FOR
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
5. District Attorney requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 70 increasing appropriations by $20,000 with offsetting revenue from Forfeitures & Penalties to replace and upgrade computers. (4/5 vote required)
6. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests authorization to submit a grant application to the California Department of Mental Health to provide mental health services to infants, preschool children and their families.
7. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 6 to Agreement No. 3527 with the City of American Canyon extending the term through June 30, 2001 to provide hourly back-up building inspection services to the City of American Canyon.
8. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests adoption of a resolution authorizing the Director to sign and file a grant application in the amount of $4,000 with the United States Geological Survey, to partially offset the cost of preparing a digital copy of the County’s landslide maps.
9. Director of Public Works requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List to add one (1) Engineering Aide III position, effective March 20, 2001.
10. Director of Public Works requests award of the contract for the "Napa City/County Library Landscaping Modifications Project," PW 01-04, to Live Oak Landscape Construction Company of Vacaville, California for their low bid of $27,481 and authorization for Chairman to sign the construction contract.
11. Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. PW 99-13, "Re-roof of Building 'B' at Health and Human Services Project."
12. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution of intent to abandon a portion of Rancho Drive between West Park Avenue and West Pueblo Avenue, and set April 10, 2001 at 9:05 A.M. as the date and time for the public hearing.
13. County Counsel requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4384 with Donna Oldford increasing the amount by $10,000 for a new maximum of $20,000 for the provision of supplemental planning services.
14. County Counsel requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 2 to Agreement No. 4232 with Susan McGuigan increasing the amount by $25,000 for a new annual maximum of $55,000 for the provision of supplemental legal services.
15. County Counsel requests adoption of a resolution authorizing the issuance of Napa Valley Unified School District (Napa County, California) Election of 1996 General Obligation Bonds, Series E, in the amount of $4,700,000.
HELD FOR DISCUSSION
APPROVED V-BW-L-D-R R-01-33
16. County Counsel requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Cheryl Huber, Paralegal, to attend the First Annual Privacy and Data Protection Summit in Arlington, Virginia from May 2-4, 2001, at an estimated cost of $2,225.
17. Information Technology Services (ITS) Director requests the following:
A. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 2 to Agreement No. 4419 with Acuent, Inc. amending the Scope of Services and increasing the amount by $75,000 for a new maximum of $324,200 for PeopleSoft consulting; and
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 71 in the amount of $75,000 from the Technology account in Central Services increasing appropriations in the ITS budget. (4/5 vote required)
18. Library Director requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Frances Houser, Literacy and Volunteer Services Coordinator, to attend a family literacy materials and services training in Washington, D.C. from April 26-29, 2001, at no cost to the County.
19. Library Director requests authorization to apply for the following grants from local library support groups:
A. Grant in the amount of $30,000 from the Library Foundation for public use databases;
B. Grant in the amount of $10,000 from the Library Foundation for the 2001-2002 speaker series; and
C. Grant in the amount of $20,000 from the Napa Friends of the Library for Phase II of the seismic shelving project.
20. Library Director requests adoption of a resolution supporting the California property tax revenue shift exemption for dependent and independent library special districts.
21. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List to add one (1) Staff Services Analyst I/II-Limited Term (LT) effective March 20, 2001 through December 27, 2002.
22. County Administrator/Director of Emergency Services requests adoption of a resolution extending the Proclamation of Local Emergency declared on February 20, 2001 relating to a major debris flow at the northern end of Lake Berryessa.
23. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of February 27, 2001.
24. Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
(SEE ITEM NUMER 15)
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 5 THROUGH 14 AND 16 THROUGH 23. BW-L-V-D-R
25. 9:05 a.m.- Chair of the Napa County Children and Families Commission to present update.
26. 9:15 a.m. - Public Hearing - Auditor-Controller requests consideration and possible adoption of a resolution establishing the property tax administration fee allocable to the public entities in Napa County for Fiscal Year 2000-2001 for services rendered in Fiscal Year 1999-2000. (Noticed Public Hearing by Clerk of the Board)
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
ADOPTED RESOLUTION V-D-BW-L-R R-01-29
27. 9:30 a.m. - Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization:
(SEE BOARD OF EQUALIZATION MINUTES)
28. 10:00 a.m. - Director of Public Works to present an overview of current energy bills proposed in the Legislature, and request the following actions relating to energy conservation on County occupied facilities:
A. Adoption of a resolution concerning energy conservation measures and direction to further reduce energy consumption by five to ten percent (5%-10%);
ADOPTED RESOLUTION V-BW-L-D-R R-01-32
B. Approval of a revised Energy Conservation Policy; and
APPROVED REQUEST V-BW-L-D-R
C. Direction to explore other alternatives for conservation and energy savings, such as alternate work days, solar retrofit, pursuit of grants, and to return to the Board with further recommendations.
APPROVED REQUEST V-BW-L-D-R
29. 10:15 a.m. - County Administrator to discuss and request possible action on the following:
A. Status update of Boardroom audio/visual technology and public channel access;
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 72 in the amount of $23,000 from Public Works Capital Improvement budget increasing appropriations in Information Technology Services by $23,000 to establish as a Fixed Asset Internet Protocol TV equipment (4/5 vote required); and
APPROVED REQUEST D-BW-L-V-R BT-72
C. Board of Supervisors' evening meetings.
DISCUSSED – NO ACTION
30. 1:30 p.m. - Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) meeting.
SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES.
31. Discussion and possible action including, but not limited to, the following legislation:
Support of AB 44 (Wiggins) Disaster Relief: Earthquake
THE BOARD WENT ON RECORD IN SUPPORT OF AB 44.
32. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
33. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
34. Closed Session regarding:
A. Conference With Labor Negotiator (Government Code
Agency Negotiator: Bruce Heid
Employee Organization: Napa County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
B. Conference With Real Property Negotiator (Government Code
Property: Assessor's Parcel No. 057-021-008
Negotiating Parties: Herbert Gunn, Jr., Trustee
Under Negotiation: Price for purchase of property and terms of payment.
C. Conference With Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b): (Two Cases)
D. Public Employee Discipline/Dismissal/Release (Government Code
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstain