MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
March 6, 2001
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, MARCH 6, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MIKE RIPPEY, SUPERVISORS MARK LUCE, MEL VARRELMAN, BILL DODD AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR JAY HULL LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment
ADAM DECKER ADDRESSED THE BOARD CONCERNING PAYMENT FOR WORK DONE ON BEHALF OF THE HOMELESS SHELTER.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR TOM TRICE REPORTED ON PROPOSAL TO PROCEED WITH THE AMERICAN CANYON BRANCH LIBRARY.
CHAIRMAN RIPPEY INDICATED THAT IT IS VERY EXCITING AND POSITIVE TO ACTUALLY BE GETTING A LIBRARY IN PLACE IN AMERICAN CANYON.
PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR KEN JOHANSON REPORTED ON TWO SUCCESSFUL GRANT APPLICATIONS, ONE FOR A WATERSHED COORDINATOR POSITION AND THE OTHER FOR STEELHEAD PRESERVATION.
MR. JOHANSON ALSO REPORTED ON PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH A LANDSLIDE AT PUTAH CREEK THAT HAVE NOW BEEN STABILIZED.
5. Director of Corrections requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 64 increasing appropriations by $30,000 with offsetting revenue in the Detention Medical Services budget for inmate medical expenses. (4/5 vote required)
6. District Attorney requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 63 in the amount of $4,800 transferring funds within the same budget unit and establishing a Fixed Asset to purchase a VHS duplicator. (4/5 vote required)
7. Sheriff requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Deputy Jay Jones to attend the Masters Conference for Advanced Death Investigation in St. Louis, Missouri, from
July 23 through 26, 2001, for an estimated cost of $1,800.
8. Superior Court requests the following actions effective March 17, 2001:
A. Amendment of the Departmental Allocation List to add one (1) (M) Court Accounting Manager and delete one (1) (S) Supervising Accountant-Auditor;
B. Amendment of the Table and Index to add Court Accounting Manager;
C. Designate the following positions as Confidential: Court General Counsel and Court Administrative Assistant;
D. Amendment of appropriate policies to add Court Accounting Manager, Court General Counsel, and Court Administrative Assistant; and
E. Approval of new class specification for Court Accounting Manager.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
9. Director of Environmental Management requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3578 with Dr. Michael Bethard, DVM, at a cost of $175 per month for the term July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2001, with an option for automatic annual renewal, for certain veterinary services needed at the Animal Shelter.
10. Housing Director requests adoption of a resolution approving an increase of $21,195 in Napa County Affordable Housing Trust funds to the Napa Valley Community Housing to complete landscaping at the Oran Court Affordable Housing Development and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Loan Agreement No. 4087 and any related documents including subordination agreements.
PULLED FROM THE AGENDA – NO ACTION TAKEN
11. Personnel Director requests the following actions effective March 17, 2001:
A. Amendment of the Departmental Allocation List to add one (1) (M) Benefits Administrator and delete one (1) Personnel Analyst III;
B. Amendment of the Table and Index to add Benefits Administrator; and
C. Approval of new class specification for Benefits Administrator.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
12. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests authorization for Chairman to sign the Grant Recipient Listing forms for Department of Labor funds designating the Napa County Administrator's Office as the grant recipient, the Napa County Auditor's Office as the fiscal agent and the Regional Training Employment Office as the Local Area Administrator.
13. County Administrator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Juvenile Justice Network in the amount of $103,000 for the term
July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2001 which provides $100,000 for the Loyd Wolfe Center, which will specifically provide substance abuse treatment to teenagers and their families and $3,000 for the Taboo Tattoo Removal Program for youth-at-risk.
14. County Administrator requests appointment of Linda Courtney Henderson to the Napa County Child Care Planning Council representing the category of Public Agency effective immediately with the term to expire April 1, 2003.
15. County Administrator requests appointment of the following persons to serve on the Law Library Board of Trustees with the terms of office to expire January 1, 2002:
Judge W. Scott Snowden Superior Court
Michael Williams, Attorney (To serve as Trustee for Judge Richard Bennett, Superior Court)
Norbert U. Frost, Attorney (To serve as Trustee for the Bar Association)
James V. Jones, Attorney (To serve as Trustee for Judge Ronald Young, Superior Court)
Lou Biggo, Attorney (To serve as Trustee for Chairman of the Board of Supervisors)
Brad Jameson, Attorney (To serve as Trustee for Judge Raymond Guadagni, Superior
Paul Loomis, Attorney (To serve as Trustee for Judge Francisca Tisher, Superior Court)
16. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of February 6, 2001.
17. Discussion of Items Removed from the Consent Calendar.
(SEE ITEM NUMBER 10)
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 5 THROUGH 9 AND 10 THROUGH 16.
18. 9:15 a.m.- Public Hearing - Director of Public Works requests the following actions:
A. Adoption of a resolution abandoning a portion of Lynch Road from State Route 12 to the intersection of Kirkland Ranch Road;
ADOPTED RESOLUTION V-D-BW-L-R R-01-24
B. Acceptance of Kirkland Ranch Road between Lynch Road and State
Route 12 as a County road; and
C. Authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Easement Deed from Kirkland Cattle Company.
(Noticed Public Hearing by the Clerk of the Board)
19. 9:20 a.m.- Agricultural Commissioner to:
A. Report on Washington, D.C., meetings on the Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter;
B. Request approval of Budget Transfer No. 67 in the amount of $60,000, increasing the Department's appropriations for Extra Help and supplies, with offsetting revenues from Industry (4/5 vote required); and
APPROVED REQUEST D-V-BW-L-R BT-67
C. Request authorization to hire up to six (6) Extra Help Agricultural and Standard Service Workers for the implementation of the County's Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter Workplan.
APPROVED REQUEST D-V-BW-L-R
20. 9:30 a.m. - Update on Tobacco Settlement Revenues by David Leifer, Napa County financial consultant.
COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR TO REPORT BACK WITH PROPOSED POLICY STATEMENTS REGARDING USE OF TOBACCO SETTLEMENT REVENUE TENTATIVELY AT THE MARCH 13, 2001 MEETING.
21. 11:00 a.m. - Presentation by Dale Wagerman and Don Peterson, Napa County legislative advocates, regarding the 2001 Legislative Session.
22. 1:30 p.m. - Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District meeting.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES)
23. County Administrator to discuss County’s mid-year financial status.
DISCUSSED – NO ACTION TAKEN
24. Board to consider and take possible action to prioritize the County's list of projects for inclusion in the 2002 Federal Appropriations bill for funding.
(List on file with the Clerk of the Board)
THE BOARD REVIEWED THE LIST INCLUDED IN THE STAFF REPORT
DATED MARCH 6, 2001 AND CONFIRMED THE PRIORITY OF PROJECT FUNDING RECOGNIZING THAT ONLY A FEW, IF ANY OF THE PROJECTS, WILL ACTUALLY BE FUNDED. V-L-D-BW-R
25. County Administrator requests appointment of two (2) persons to serve on the Area IV Developmental Disabilities Board with the term of office to commence immediately and expire on January 1, 2004:
LeRoy Kramer Developmentally Disabled Person or Parent or Guardian
Kenneth Rosario* (incumbent) Developmentally Disabled Person or Parent or Guardian
Michelle Marin* (incumbent) General Public
*As recommended by the Area IV Developmental Disabilities Board.
26. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
RIPPEY REPORTED THAT THE SENATE IS NOT
RECOMMENDING SEVERAL ITEMS THAT THE GOVERNOR
RECOMMENDED IN THE STATE BUDGET INITIALLY, SUCH AS FLOOD CONTROL SUBVENTIONS AND ESTATE REIMBURSEMENT OF COUNTIES.
27. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
REPORTED ON HIS FIRST MEETING AS A METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION COMMISSIONER
REGARDING LITIGATION FILED BY A NUMBER OF ORGANIZATIONS RELATIVE TO THE OZONE
LEVEL BEING EXCEEDED SEVERAL TIMES IN A ONE YEAR PERIOD. HE COMMENTED THAT THIS IS A RESULT OF NOT
ENOUGH PEOPLE USING PUBLIC
TRANSPORTATION AND THAT LITIGATION WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT AFFECT ON THE BUDGETS
OF THOSE ORGANIZATIONS INVOLVED IN THE LITIGATION.
28. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
29. Closed Session regarding:
A. Conference with Labor Negotiator (Government Code Section 54957.6)
Agency Negotiator: Bruce Heid
Employee Organization: Napa County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
B. Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code
Section 54956.9(b): (Two cases)
C. Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation (Government Code Section 54956.9(a))
Name of Case: Kuhn v. County of Napa, et al. (Napa County Superior Court Case No. 26-11571)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, MARCH 13, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained