MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
February 6, 2001
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MIKE RIPPEY, SUPERVISORS MARK LUCE, MEL VARRELMAN, BILL DODD AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP MANAGER DAVE DICKSON LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Presentation and adoption of Retirement Resolution No. 01-14 honoring Dave Dickson for his 21 years of service to Napa County.
THE CHAIRMAN PRESENTED RESOLUTION R-01-14
4. Public Comment
5. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
AGRICULTURAL COMMISSIONER DAVE WHITMER UPDATED THE BOARD REGARDING THE GLASSY-WINGED SHARPSHOOTER.
CHAIRMAN RIPPEY REQUESTED REGULAR UPDATES ON THE
6. District Attorney requests approval of and authorization to sign a grant application in the amount of $91,182 for the term March 1, 2001 through February 28, 2002 with the Office of Criminal Justice Planning for the Violence Against Women Act Vertical Prosecution Program.
7. Sheriff requests the following actions related to a demographic data collection grant:
A. Approval of and authorization to sign a grant application in the amount of $10,000 for the term May 1, 2001 through April 30, 2003 from the California Highway Patrol; and
B. Adoption of a resolution authorizing the Sheriff to sign grant documents and insuring adherence to State grant requirements.
8. Superior Court requests amendment of the Table and Index to increase the Superior Court Commissioner's salary by 8.5% retroactive to January 1, 2001 in order to maintain the current salary alignment between Superior Court Commissioners and Superior Court Judges.
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Solano County for a maximum of $2,341 for the term July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2001 for the collection and disbursement of funds for Medi-Cal Administrative Activities and Targeted Case Management.
10. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4072 with Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity, Inc. for a maximum of $188,803 for the term July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2001 to provide tobacco control services.
11. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests the following actions related to the Echo billing and tracking system automation:
12. Director of Public Works requests approval of plans and specifications for the "Napa County Animal Shelter Site Preparation Project," PW 00-16, authorization to advertise for bids and setting 3:30 P.M. on February 16, 2001 for the opening of sealed bids.
13. Director of Public Works requests approval of plans and specifications for the "Napa City/County Library Landscaping Modifications Project," PW 01-04, authorization to advertise for bids and setting 3:30 P.M. on March 1, 2001 for the opening of sealed bids.
14. Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. PW 00-08, "Napa City/County Library Loading & Elevation Dock."
15. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution of intent to abandon a portion of Lynch Road from State Route 12 to the intersection of Kirkland Ranch Road.
16. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution temporarily closing a portion of Silverado Trail, Oak Knoll Avenue, Big Ranch Road and El Centro Avenue from 7:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. on Sunday, March 4, 2001 for the running of the Napa Valley Marathon.
18. County Administrator requests adoption of a resolution designating certain emergency interim successors for each member of the Board of Supervisors pursuant to Napa County Code Section 2.04.080.
19. County Administrator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Napa County Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) for support services to be provided by the County for the remainder of Fiscal Year 2000/01.
20. County Administrator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Boys & Girls Club of Napa Valley in the amount of $100,000 for the term July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2001 to provide construction funds for a new youth center building.
21. County Administrator requests appointment of Supervisor Bill Dodd to serve on the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) to fill the unexpired term of office of former Supervisor Kathryn Winter, commencing February 9, 2001 through February 9, 2003.
22. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of January 23, 2001.
23. Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 6 THROUGH 22.
24. 9:10 a.m.- County Administrator and Chief Probation Officer to discuss and request possible action regarding the status of the Juvenile Facility planning process.
DISCUSSED – NO ACTION TAKEN
25. 10:00 a.m. - The Board is requested to consider the following pertaining to the location of publicly owned and operated farmworker housing camps in Napa County:
THE BOARD REFERRED THE PROPOSAL TO THE CONSERVATION,
DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING DEPARTMENT FOR ANALYSIS AND RECOMMENDATION BY THE PLANNING COMMISSION AND REQUESTED THE DEPARTMENT EXPEDITE THE REVIEW AND ANALYSIS.
26. 1:30 p.m. - Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District meeting.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION
27. Discussion and possible action including, but not limited to, the following legislation:
Sudden Oak Death:
Senate Bill 31 (Chesbro)
Assembly Bill 53 (Wiggins)
Assembly Bill 62 (Migden)
THE BOARD WENT ON RECORD IN SUPPORT OF SB31, AB53 AND AB62 AND INSTRUCTED STAFF TO ENCOURAGE THE BILLS’ AUTHORS TO COLLABORATE TOWARD THE CONSOLIDATION OF THE BILLS FOR APPROVAL BY THE LEGISLATURE AND THE GOVERNOR.
28. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR VARRELMAN REPORTED ON VIEWSHED WORKING GROUP MEETING AND GENERAL SUPPORT FOR THE PROPOSED ORDINANCE THAT IS WORKABLE AND UNDERSTANDABLE.
SUPERVISOR DODD REPORTED ON USGS AND FEMA PRESENTATION REGARDING EARTHQUAKE HAZARDS IN NAPA COUNTY AND MITIGATION MEASURES FOR FUTURE EARTHQUAKES.
CHAIRMAN RIPPEY REPORTED THAT HE AND SUPERVISOR DODD ATTENDED TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT PLAN MEETING TO ASSIST THE NAPA COMMUNITY IN SURVIVING TRAFFIC PROBLEMS. HE INDICATED THAT THE PUBLIC HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO TALK WITH STAFF FROM VARIOUS AGENCIES ASSOCIATED WITH CONSTRUCTION OF THE HIGHWAY 29/TRANCAS STREET INTERCHANGE PROJECT AND THE REPLACEMENT OF BRIDGES THAT ARE A RESULT OF THE NAPA RIVER FLOOD CONTROL PROJECT.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT REPORTED ON NAPA COUNTY CHILDREN AND FAMILIES COMMISSION RETREAT TO ESTABLISH A WORKPLAN FOR THE YEAR INCLUDING CHILDREN’S SUMMIT.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT ALSO REPORTED ON MEETING HE AND DIRECTOR OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES TERRY LONGORIA HAD WITH SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION STAFF ON THE REASONING BEHIND THE NEED TO KEEP THE LOCAL OFFICE OPEN.
29. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
NON-SPECIFIC DATE – STATUS REPORT REGARDING PUBLIC ACCESS TO BOARD OF SUPERIVISORS’ MEETINGS ON MATTERS OF BROAD INTEREST AND/OR BROADCASTING MEETINGS ON PUBLIC TELEVISION. (SUPERVISOR LUCE)
30. Closed Session regarding:
Agency Negotiator: Bruce Heid
Employee Organization: Napa County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
B. Public Employee Performance Evaluation
(Government Code Section 54957)
Title: Public Defender
C. Public Employee Discipline/Dismissal/Release (Government Code
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; D= Bill Dodd
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained