MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
April 11, 2000
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, APRIL 11, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MEL VARRELMAN, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MARK LUCE AND KATHRYN WINTER. SUPERVISOR BRAD WAGENKNECHT WAS EXCUSED.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
SUPERVISOR LUCE LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
CANDACE ELIZA APPEALED TO THE BOARD TO PROVIDE ASSISTANCE FOR THE HOMELESS THAT ARE CURRENTLY SLEEPING OUT IN THE COLD.
4. Department Headsí Reports and Announcements.
5. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3260 with Crestwood Behavioral Health, Inc. for the term July 1, 1999 through March 27, 2000 for residential mental health services.
6. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following with ALDEA, Inc. for the term July 1, 1999 through March 27, 2000:
8. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an amendment to an agreement (AUD No. 5273) with LSA-Brady Associates, Inc. increasing the amount by $25,000 for a new maximum of $34,990 to complete preparation of Initial Studies and Negative Declarations.
9. Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. RDS 98-13R, "Guard Rail and Bridge Rail Replacement and Installation at Various Locations."
10. Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. 99-05, "Hall of Justice Corrections Booking Area and Work Furlough Modifications."
11. Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. PW 00-01, "Four Jury Courtroom."
12. Appointment of the following applicants to serve on the Napa County Child Care Planning Council as recommended by the Council:
Applicant Membership Category Expiration of Term
Patricia Jennings* Child Care Provider April 1, 2003
Terry Hollybee* Consumer April 1, 2003
Debora J. Ferrero-Waite Public Agency April 1, 2003
Olivia Lugo Public Agency, Alternate April 1, 2003
Walter Hampe * Community Representative April 1, 2003
Dee Cuney* At Large April 1, 2003
Tina Persaud* At Large, Alternate April 1, 2003
Elaine Guidry Consumer April 1, 2001
13. County Administrator requests authorization for the Auditor-Controller to move tobacco settlement revenue received to date and any future tobacco settlement revenue paid to the County into an interest-bearing trust account.
14. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisorsí meeting of March 28, 2000.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 5 THROUGH 14.
16. 9:05 a.m. - Presentation of a resolution commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the United States Submarine Force.
THE CHAIRMAN PRESENTED RESOLUTION R-00-42
17. 9:10 a.m. - Presentation of the Community Plan of the Napa County Children and Families Commission.
ADOPTED RESOLUTION W-L-R-BW-V R-00-43
19. 9:15 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Steve and Vicki Nethercott to a decision by the Director of Conservation, Development and Planning on November 30, 1999 to cancel building permit application No. B99-1032 for the conversion of a single family residence into a bed and breakfast lodging facility located at 129 Devlin Road within an Industrial Park (IP) Zoning District. (Assessorís Parcel No. 057-170-007)
Environmental Determination: Exempt from California Environmental Quality Act CEQA). (Continued from February 8, 2000; applicant requests continuance to May 9, 2000 at 9:15 a.m.)
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO MAY 9, 2000 AT 9:15 A.M.
20. 10:00 a.m. - Public Hearing - Introduction and adoption of an ordinance pertaining to Government Code Section 21023.5 providing Public Service Credit for Peace Corps or AmeriCorps: VISTA Service to local miscellaneous and safety members at no cost to the County. Environmental Determination: Not subject to the California Environmental Quality Act General Rule.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
THE BOARD WAIVED READING BALANCE OF ORDINANCE
ADOPTED ORDINANCE L-W-R-BW-V O-1169
21. 10:00 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider and adopt a resolution of Decision on Appeal and Findings of Fact denying appeal filed by Thomas Carey, Attorney for Applicants Rust Ridge Ranch/Susan Meyer, to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on November 17, 1999 to deny Use Permit Request No. 98505-UP to establish an equestrian commercial recreation facility using existing structures and trails on a 441.67 acre parcel located at 2910 Lower Chiles Valley Road on the east side of Lower Chiles Valley Road approximately one mile southeast of the intersection with Chiles-Pope Valley Road within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessorís Parcel No. 025-260-001) Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration prepared. (Staff Requests continuance to April 25, 2000 at 10:00 a.m.)
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO APRIL 25, 2000 AT 10:00 A.M.
22. 10:00 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider two (2) appeals filed as to the approval of Vesting Tentative Parcel Map Request No. 98219-PM of Richard and David Ehrenberger to divide a 723.32 acre parcel into ten (10) parcels of 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 60, 60, 160 and 200 acres located east and west of Soda Canyon Road north of its intersection with Loma Vista Drive within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessorís Parcel Nos. 039-020-023 SFAP and 039-080-051 SFAP) The appeals were filed by:
B. Richard Ehrenberger to Conditions of Approval.
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration Adopted. (Continued from
November 30, 1999, January 25, 2000 and February 22, 2000)
PUBLIC HEARING CLOSED
PUBLIC HEARING REOPENED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO MAY 16, 2000 AT 10:00 A.M.
APPROVED REQUEST L-W-R-BW-V
THE BOARD WENT ON RECORD OPPOSED TO THE NORTH GREEN ISLAND ROAD SPHERE OF INFLUENCE AMENDMENT TO THE CITY OF AMERICAN CANYON AND THE AMERICAN CANYON FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT DUE TO INADEQUATE ANALYSIS ON THE IMPACTS OF THE PROPOSAL TO THE NAPA COUNTY AIRPORT INDUSTRIAL AREA SPECIFIC PLAN AND FAILURE TO CONDUCT PROPER ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT OF THE PROJECT AS REQUIRED BY THE CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY ACT.
25. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
26. Board of Supervisorsí Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WINTER REPORTED ON NAPA VALLEY HOUSING AUTHORITY MEETING REGARDING FINALIZING THE SALE OF SURPLUS PROPERTY TO NAPA VALLEY COMMUNITY HOUSING THAT WAS OCCUPIED BY THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY HOUSING, ADDITION OF PARTNER FOR THE HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT GRANT FOR SENIOR HOUSING AND CLEAN UP OF THE PROPERTY.
27. Board of Supervisorsí Future Agenda Items.
Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation:
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code
Section 54954.5(c): (One case)
CLOSED SESSION HELD Ė NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORSí REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY,
APRIL 18, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained