MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
February 22, 2000
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MEL VARRELMAN, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MARK LUCE, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
MAYOR MARY LOU HOLT, TOWN OF YOUNTVILLE, LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Presentation of a proclamation from the California State Association of Counties (CSAC) honoring Napa County as it celebrates 150 years as one of the original 27 counties created February 18, 1850.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT PRESENTED PROCLAMATION.
- Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
- Public Comment.
- District Attorney and Family Support Division Chief request approval to authorize an employee up to 300 hours of voluntary Leave Without Pay.
- Sheriff requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 45 appropriating $1,000 in the Sheriff’s Office budget (Budget Unit 23500), with offsetting revenue from the California National Guard for the Sheriff’s Activity League program benefiting youth in Napa County. (4/5 vote required)
8. Sheriff requests approval to apply for and authorization to sign a grant for $65,000 for Fiscal Year 2000/2001 from the Office of Criminal Justice Planning for the purchase of technology/equipment relating to crime suppression and crime prevention.
- Auditor-Controller requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Bartig, Basler and Ray in the amount of $19,500 for the term February 22, 2000 through June 30, 2000 to conduct the annual audits of the Congress Valley Water District, the Napa River Reclamation District and the Napa County Resource Conservation District for the fiscal years ended June 30, 1998 and June 30, 1999.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 4 to Agreement No. 3668 with the City of Napa which extends the term through June 30, 2000 to continue the loan of a Staff Services Analyst II to the City Housing Authority Self-Sufficiency Program and to compensate the County a maximum of $52,805 for these services.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Telecare Corporation, a psychiatric hospital, to provide Managed Care inpatient mental health services and mental health services for clients with no insurance, for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity, Inc. for a maximum of $910 for the term January 1, 2000 through June 30, 2000 to provide counseling services to a client referred by the Children’s Behavioral Program.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements with Child Or Parent Emergency (COPE) and related action to approve the 1999-2001 Napa County Family Preservation and Support Plan:
- Renewal of Agreement No. 3724 for a maximum of $142,708 for the term October 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide services under the Family Preservation and Support Project;
- Renewal of Agreement No. 4177 for a maximum of $25,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide counseling to families at-risk of gang involvement and emergency housing assistance; and
- Approval of the 1999-2001 Napa County Family Preservation and Support Plan.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List with a net increase of 2.0 Full Time Employees (FTE), effective March 4, 2000 as follows:
Health Services (Budget Unit 40000)
Add: One (1.0) Secretary
One (1.0) Senior Account Clerk
One (1.0) Office Assistant II (bilingual)
Delete: One (1.0) Office Assistant II
One (.5) Account Clerk II
One (.5) Office Assistant II (bilingual)
Behavioral Health (Budget Unit 42000)
Add: One (1.0) Office Assistant II (bilingual)
One (1.0) Supervising Mental Health Counselor I (licensed)
Delete: One (1.0) Social Worker III
- Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4194 with Moore, Iacofano, and Goltsman (MIG) Inc. increasing the amount by $50,000 for a new maximum of $135,000 to complete Phase II of the Napa River Watershed Planning Program.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Edd Clark & Associates, Inc. for a maximum of $35,000 for the term February 22, 2000 through June 30, 2001 for environmental assessment of two County sites.
- Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution temporarily closing a portion of Oak Knoll Avenue, Big Ranch Road and El Centro Avenue on March 5, 2000 from 7:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. for the running of the Napa Valley Marathon.
- Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution temporarily closing a portion of Henry Road on April 8, 2000 from 8:00 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. for the running of the Carneros Vineyard Run.
- Director of Public Works requests adoption of the following resolutions authorizing applications for funding from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission under the Surface Transportation Program and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program:
- Cuttings Wharf Bike Lane for a total of $240,000; and
- Howell Mountain Overlay for a total of $503,000.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 48 appropriating $3,500 as a fixed asset in Public Works’ Budget Unit 17500, with offsetting revenue coming from the Department’s other budget units and authorization to purchase an In Focus projector.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 49 reallocating $567,057 among various appropriations in Capital Improvement Program, Budget Units 16000, 16100 and 16200 to fund construction projects.
- Communications Manager requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Roy Barush, Senior Communications Technician to attend the Association of Public Safety Communications Officers (APCO) Western Regional Conference in Portland, Oregon from March 6-8, 2000 at an estimated cost of $700.
- Library Director requests authorization to accept a California Library Services Act grant in the amount of $29,670 for Families for Literacy component to the Library’s Adult Literacy Program.
24. Personnel Director requests the following actions effective February 22, 2000:
- Amend the Departmental Allocation List for Sheriff (Budget Unit 23500) to add one (1) Evidence Specialist;
- Amend the Table and Index to add Evidence Specialist;
- Approve new class specification for Evidence Specialist; and
- Delete the Identification Technician position from the Sheriff’s Allocation List and the Table and Index upon retirement of the incumbent in this position.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
25. Personnel Director requests the following actions effective February 22, 2000:
- Amend the Departmental Allocation List for District Attorney–Family Support Division (Budget Unit 22500) to add one (1) (S) Family Support Accounting Specialist and authorization to delete subsequent vacancy;
- Amend the Table and Index to add Family Support Accounting Specialist;
- Approve new class specification for Family Support Accounting Specialist; and
- Amend appropriate policies adding Family Support Accounting Specialist.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
- Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4256 with School Web Services increasing the amount by $18,900 for a new maximum of $37,500 to develop and design an employment development web site.
- Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests authorization for out-of-state travel to attend the National Association of Workforce Boards Forum 2000 in Washington, D.C., from February 26 through 29, 2000 at no cost to the County.
- Superior Court requests the Departmental Allocation List be amended as follows, effective March 4, 2000:
Napa Superior Court (Budget Unit 21000)
Delete: One (1) Judicial Assistant I
Three (3) Judicial Assistant I (LT)
One (1) (C) Legal Secretary II
Add: Three (3) Judicial Assistant I
Two (2) Judicial Assistant II
Jury (Budget Unit 20200)
Delete: One (1) Judicial Assistant II
Dispute Resolution (Budget Unit 20600)
Delete: One (1) Judicial Assistant II
Add: One (1) Judicial Assistant I
- County Administrator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 4 to Agreement No. 3733 with Leifer Capital for $42,500 and extending the term through June 30, 2003 for municipal financial consulting services.
- County Administrator requests adoption of a resolution recognizing Dennis Bowker for his role as Resource Conservationist with the Napa County Resource Conservation District over the past eleven years.
- County Administrator/Purchasing Agent requests authorization to declare five (5) AST Bravo computers, three (3) Gateway 2000 monitors, one (1) AST monitor and one (1) NEC monitor surplus, remove them from inventory and donate to the Napa County Council on Economic Opportunity to train young people within our community.
(Complete list on file with the Clerk of the Board)
32. Appointment of Karen Wyeth to serve on the Wildlife Conservation Commission as the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission representative with the term to expire February 1, 2003.
33. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of February 1, 2000.
- Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR NUMBERS 6 THROUGH 34.
- 9:05 a.m. - Presentation and adoption of a resolution declaring February 22, 2000 as ALDEA Children’s Art Therapy Day in Napa County.
THE CHAIRMAN PRESENTED RESOLUTION R-00-14
36. 9:15 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider Application for Temporary Event License Request No. 99241-E filed by Gale Force Sports Marketing to hold the Napa Valley World Cup Bicycle Race on March 24-26, 2000 from 8:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. at Domaine Chandon, on California Drive, west of State Highway 29, in Yountville.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
APPROVED REQUEST WITH AN ADDITIONAL CONDITION THAT THERE BE PLANNING CHECKS BEFORE AND AFTER THE EVENT AND THE ZONING ADMINISTRATOR WAS INSTRUCTED TO ISSUE THE
CATEGORY 4, TEMPORARY EVENT LICENSE UPON PROOF OF COMPLIANCE WITH SECTION 5.36.080 (INSURANCE) OF THE COUNTY CODE. BW-R-L-W-V
- 9:30 a.m. - Housing Director to discuss proposed staff changes recommended by the Director of the Napa Valley Housing Authority (NVHA)/Housing Authority of the City of Napa and request Board direction to Board members sitting on the NVHA.
THE BOARD DIRECTED THAT THE CURRENTLY VACANT NAPA VALLEY HOUSING AUTHORITY COUNTY HOUSING SPECIALIST POSITION BE DELETED AND REPLACED WITH A CITY OF NAPA ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT POSITION (1 FULLTIME POSITION) 100% NAPA VALLEY HOUSING AUTHORITY. NEW POSITION REPLACING DELETED COUNTY POSITION. KW-BW-R-L-V
10:00 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Thomas Carey, Attorney for Applicants Rust Ridge Ranch/Susan Meyer, to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on November 17, 1999 to deny Use Permit Request No. 98505-UP to establish an equestrian commercial recreation facility using existing structures and trails on a 441.67 acre parcel located at 2910 Lower Chiles Valley Road on the east side of Lower Chiles Valley Road approximately one mile southeast of the intersection with Chiles-Pope Valley Road within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 025-260-001) Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration prepared.
(Clerk of the Board requests continuance to March 14, 2000 at 10:00 a.m.)
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED – TESTIMONY PRESENTED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO MARCH 14, 2000 AT 10:00 A.M.
39. 10:00 a.m. - Closed session regarding:
Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation:
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code
Section 54956.9(b): (One case)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
- 10:30 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider two (2) appeals filed as to the approval of Vesting Tentative Parcel Map Request No. 98219-PM of Richard and David Ehrenberger to divide a 723.32 acre parcel into ten (10) parcels of 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 60, 60, 160 and 200 acres located east and west of Soda Canyon Road north of its intersection with Loma Vista Drive within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 039-020-023 sfap and 039-080-051 sfap) The appeals were filed by:
- Joseph Reynolds and Residents of Soda Canyon, Appellants, to the decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on October 20, 1999 to adopt a Negative Declaration and approve Vesting Tentative Parcel Map Request No. 98219-PM of Richard and David Ehrenberger; and
- Richard Ehrenberger to Conditions of Approval.
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration adopted. (Continued from
November 30, 1999 and January 25, 2000)
THE BOARD ACCEPTED WITHDRAWAL OF THE APPEAL FILED BY RICHARD EHRENBERGER TO CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL.
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO APRIL 11, 2000 AT 10:00 A.M. TO ALLOW STAFF TO RECEIVE FURTHER INPUT ON ISSUES AND STAFF WAS INSTRUCTED TO REDRAFT THE MITIGATION MEASURES AS DIRECTED AT THIS MEETING. BW-R-L-W-V
- 1:30 p.m. - Recess to a Special Meeting of the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES)
- Discussion regarding rent stabilization for mobile home parks in the unincorporated areas of Napa County. (Supervisor Rippey)
THE BOARD INSTRUCTED STAFF AND/OR THE NAPA VALLEY HOUSING AUTHORITY, NCRIMS AND MOBILE HOME PARK OWNERS TO REPORT BACK TO THE BOARD TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM AS DEFINED AT THIS MEETING.
43. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
44. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WINTER ADVISED THAT THE METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION IS LOBBYING TO RETAIN FUNDING FOR A PARK AND RIDE AT REDWOOD ROAD AND SOLANO AVENUE.
45. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
NON-SPECIFIC DATE – U.C. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION DIRECTOR TO REPORT ON THREAT TO NATIVE OAK TREES BY BARK BEETLES. (SUPERVISOR RIPPEY)
NON-SPECIFIC DATE – CONSERVATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING DIRECTOR TO REPORT ON WAYS TO PRESERVE HISTORIC STRUCTURES. (SUPERVISOR RIPPEY)
46. Closed session regarding:
Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation
(Government Code Section 54956.9(a)):
Names of Cases:
i) Napa Citizens for Honest Government and North Bay Citizens for
Responsible Transportation v. County of Napa. (Napa County Superior Court Case No. 26-04014)
- Sierra Club v. County of Napa, et al. (Napa County Superior Court Case Nos. 26-07212, 26-07213 and 26-08229)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M.
MARY JEAN MCLAUGHLIN
Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained