MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
January 18, 2000
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, JANUARY 18, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MEL VARRELMAN, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MARK LUCE, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR KEN JOHANSON LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES DIRECTOR TERRY LONGORIA INVITED THE BOARD TO ATTEND GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY FOR THE NEW THERAPEUTIC CHILDCARE DEVELOPMENT CENTER.
5. Sheriff requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 40 appropriating $4,000 in the Sheriff’s budget (Budget Unit 23500), with offsetting revenue from a Kaiser Permanente donation for the purchase of bicycle helmets for County youth. (4/5 vote required)
6. Director of Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA), Chief Probation Officer and Court Executive Officer request authorization for out-of-state travel for the following people to attend the GAINS Center Juvenile Regional Forum in Tampa, Florida from February 9-11, 2000 at no cost to the County:
Name Title Department
Mary Butler Behavioral Health Care Manager HHSA
Doug Calkin Staff Services Analyst I-Children’s Services HHSA
Nancy Schulz Juvenile Division Director Probation
Ed Estin Assistant Juvenile Hall Superintendent Probation
Ray Guadagni Commissioner Superior Court
7. Assessor/Recorder-County Clerk (Registrar of Voters) requests approval of the Certified Statement of Results of the special election held January 4, 2000 (Official Canvass of Returns) and declare results of the election pursuant to Elections Code Sections 15300-15400. (Certified Statement on file with the Clerk of the Board)
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4214 with ALDEA, Inc. increasing the amount by $210 for a new maximum of $930 to provide direct counseling services to a minor referred by the Childrens’ Behavioral Health Program.
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Napa County Office of Education for a maximum of $66,500 for the term September 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide mentoring services for at risk youth.
10. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3353 with Napa Valley College for a maximum of $80,506 for the term October 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 for the Independent Living Skills Program.
11. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests authorization to pay a claim over one year old in the amount of $74.88 to San Jose Care & Guidance, an Institution for Mental Disease.
12. Director of Public Works requests authorization to amend the Public Works Departmental Allocation List (Budget Unit 17500) to add one (1) Supervising Office Assistant to staff the Flood Control District Office effective January 22, 2000, pending approval by the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District Board at their January 18, 2000 meeting.
13. Director of Public Works requests award of the construction contract for the “Napa County Administration Building Modernization of Two (2) Passenger Elevators,” PW 99-18 with two alternatives, to Empire Elevator Company, Inc. of Petaluma, California for their low bid of $204,000 and authorization for Chairman to sign the construction contract.
14. Director of Public Works requests authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Easement Deed from Sandra Wiesenmaier, Trustee of the Sandra Gould Trust, for additional right-of-way on a portion of Meadowood Lane. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 025-110-026)
15. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution declaring the Board’s intent to sell County-owned property located at 1436 Polk Street and 1201 Franklin Street in Napa. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 003-153-009)
16. Director of Public Works/Aviation requests authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Avigation and Hazard Easement Deed from Syar Industries. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 046-370-002)
17. Communications Manager requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Richard Hodges, dba Convergence Consulting for a maximum of $20,000 for the term January 18, 2000 through June 30, 2000 for telecommunications consulting services.
18. Library Director requests approval of leave without pay for the period December 4, 1999 through June 30, 2000, for a Librarian II who is applying for disability retirement, and authorization to amend the Departmental Allocation List (Budget Unit 61200) adding one (1) Limited Term Librarian I/II, effective January 22, 2000 through June 30, 2000.
19. Local Enforcement Agency Coordinator requests appointment of the following individuals to serve on the Independent Hearing Panel for Solid Waste Issues with the term of office to expire August 1, 2001:
Applicant Category of Appointment
Cheryl L. Shields Technical Expert with Knowledge of Solid Waste
Management Methods and Technologies
Joan S. Childs (Incumbent) Public at Large
20. Personnel Director requests authorization to amend the Departmental Allocation List for Auditor-Controller (Budget Unit 11000) deleting one (1) .5 Office Assistant II and one (1) Accountant-Auditor I/II, effective January 18, 2000.
21. County Administrator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Bartig, Basler and Ray, Certified Public Accountants, Inc. for a maximum of $35,000 for the term January 1, 2000 through June 30, 2000 to conduct an audit of the Family Support Division of the District Attorney’s Office.
22. County Administrator requests authorization to amend the Board’s action of January 11, 2000 to reflect appointment of Arthur C. Hemphill, M.D. to the Public Member position on the Napa Sanitation District for a two (2) year term ending December 31, 2001.
23. County Administrator requests adoption of a resolution approving the State-Local Partnership Program application for Fiscal Year 2000-2001 and authorizing the Arts Council of the Napa Valley to execute the financial assistance contract with the California Arts Council.
24. Appoint the following person to serve on the Napa County Commission on the Status of Women with the term to expire October 1, 2000:
Applicant Category of Appointment
Jose M.C. Rossi General Public
25. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of January 4, 2000.
26. Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR ITEM NUMBERS 1 THROUGH 25.
27. 9:05 a.m. - Director of Health and Human Services Agency to present an update on the California Health Partnership.
28. 9:30 a.m. - Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization.
(SEE BOARD OF EQUALIZATION MINUTES)
29. 10:30 a.m. - Director of Conservation, Development and Planning to discuss and request approval of a process for local participation in the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) allocation study being developed by the State of California Regional Water Quality Control Board.
PROVIDED COMMENTS TO STAFF RELATIVE TO THE SCOPE AND CONTENT OF THE TOTAL MAXIMUM DAILY LOAD (TMDL) STUDY AS PRESENTED AT THE MEETING;
PROVIDED STAFF WITH DIRECTION AS TO WHO SHOULD SIT ON THE RECOMMENDED TMDL OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE AND DIRECTED STAFF TO SOLICIT VOLUNTEERS;
DIRECTED STAFF TO CONTACT STATE, FEDERAL AND LOCAL AGENCIES, INCLUDING CITIES, TOWN AND SPECIAL DISTRICTS TO INVITE THEM TO PARTICIPATE IN THE TMDL OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE;
CONFIRMED THE ROLE OF THE NAPA RIVER WATERSHED TASK FORCE AS OUTLINED IN THE STAFF REPORT DATED JANUARY 18, 2000 AND AS RECOMMENDED BY THE TASK FORCE ON
DECEMBER 13, 1999;
DIRECTED STAFF TO NOTIFY STAFF’S FROM THE REGIONAL WATER QUALITY CONTROL BOARD AND THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY OF THE BOARD’S DECISION TO APPOINT A LOCAL COALITION AND TO REQUEST THAT THE STUDY SCHEDULE BE ADJUSTED TO ACCOMMODATE THE FORMATION OF THE COALITION.
30. 11:30 a.m. - Presentation of Retirement Resolution No. 00-06 to Raymond Schaal, Attorney IV, District Attorney’s Office, in recognition of over 13 years of service.
THE CHAIRMAN PRESENTED RETIREMENT RESOLUTION R-00-06
31. 1:30 p.m. - Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District meeting.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES)
32. 2:00 p.m. - Director of Conservation, Development and Planning to discuss County Regulations protecting historic structures; County permits and approvals issued to the owners/developers of the Aetna Springs Resort; and future planning alternatives relative to the site.
DISCUSSED – NO ACTION TAKEN
33. County Administrator to discuss and request possible action authorizing the preparation of an ordinance that will eliminate the County’s share of the sales tax (Bradley-Burns Uniform Local Sales and Use Tax) credit to which the cities of Calistoga, St. Helena, Napa and the Town of Yountville are entitled effective July 1, 2000.
APPROVED REQUEST W-BW-R-L-V
34. Discussion and possible action related to a request by the Napa County Juvenile Justice Network for the "Taboo Tattoo Removal Program”. (Supervisor Winter)
STAFF WAS INSTRUCTED TO NOTIFY THE NAPA COUNTY JUVENILE JUSTICE NETWORK TO SUBMIT FUNDING COUNTY CONTRIBUTIONS REQUEST FOR CONSIDERATION AT 2000-2001 FINAL BUDGET HEARINGS.
35. Discussion and possible action including, but not limited to, the following legislation:
Board of Supervisors to identify March 7, 2000 statewide propositions for future consideration and possible action to support or oppose.
THE BOARD IDENTIFIED THE FOLLOWING:
36. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WINTER REPORTED THAT THE NAPA COUNTY YOUTH & GANG VIOLENCE PREVENTION TASK FORCE WILL BE MEETING THIS EVENING AT 6:00 P.M. AT THE NAPA VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD ROOM WITH THE FOCUS ON THE SCHOOLS.
SUPERVISOR LUCE REPORTED ON UPCOMING MEETING IN WHICH HE, SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT, CONSERVATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING DIRECTOR JEFFREY REDDING WILL BE ATTENDING TO DISCUSS DRY CREEK-LOKOYA EROSION AND HILLSIDE STEWARDSHIP PROGRAM.
37. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
38. Closed Session regarding:
Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation
(Government Code Section 54956.9(a)):
Name of case: Patricia Jackson v. City and County of Napa, et al. (United States District Court Case No. C98-4831 CRB)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M.
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained