MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
November 9, 1999
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
RICH MORENO LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR JAY HULL INTRODUCED NEIL O’HAIRE.
THE BOARD WELCOMED MR. O’HAIRE.
THE CHAIRMAN PRESENTED PROCLAMATION.
4. Public Comment.
5. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
6. District Attorney requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4196 with Software Automation, Inc. (SAI) increasing the contract by $24,000 for a new maximum of $79,000 and extending the term to June 30, 2000 for child support system software and database upgrades.
7. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4070 with Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity, Inc. (NCCEO) for a maximum of $40,695 for the term October 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide community services in the CalWORK’s program.
APPROVED BW-W-R-V-L A-4070
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following renewals of agreements to provide services funded by the Federal Transitional Residential Alliance and Integrated Network grant, for the term October 1, 1999 through September 30, 2000:
B. Agreement No. 3989 with Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity, Inc. (NCCEO) for a maximum of $83,135.
APPROVED BW-W-R-V-L A-3989
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with California State University - Stanislaus (CSUS) prescribing terms and conditions for the placement of students in the CSUS Master of Social Work program with HHSA for the term beginning July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 with provision for automatic renewal of four (4) additional one (1) year terms.
10. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3784 with ARC-Solano for a maximum of $45,313 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide day program services for clients referred by the Mental Health Program.
11. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Memorandum of Understanding No. 4109 with the Napa County Resource Conservation District to:
B. Extend the term to June 30, 2000.
13. Director of Public Works requests award of the construction contract for the "Administration & Hall of Justice Parking Overlay and Sheriff’s Parking Expansion Project," PW 99-15-R, to Carone & Sons, Inc. of Crockett, California for their low bid of $68,300 and authorization for Chairman to sign the construction contract.
14. Communications Manager requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 23 transferring $30,085 from Communications account (Budget Unit 14200) to Equipment to establish as Fixed Assets three (3) radio repeaters at a cost of $10,028.25 each to replace damaged equipment located on Atlas Peak.
15. Library Director requests authorization to accept a bequest of $5,000 and approval of Budget Transfer No. 22 to carry out the following actions in Budget Unit 61200:
A. Increasing Special Departmental Expense-Furnishings, and Special Departmental Expense-Computer Peripherals, by the amount of $2,500 each, with an offsetting $5,000 increase in Other Revenues-Donations; and
B. Increasing Other Expenses-Staff Development in the amount of $1,350 with an equal offsetting reduction of Appropriation for Contingencies.
16. Personnel Director requests approval to restore 45.3 hours of accrued vacation to a Personnel Services Specialist to be used by December 10, 1999.
19. County Administrator requests the Board of Supervisors, acting as Code Reviewing Body pursuant to the Political Reform Act of 1974 (Government Code Section 81000 et. seq.), to approve the Conflict of Interest Code adopted by the Napa County Children and Families First Commission on October 25, 1999.
20. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of October 19, 1999.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS 6 THROUGH 20.
ADOPTED RESOLUTION BW-V-R-W-L R-99-133
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED – TESTIMONY PRESENTED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO DECEMBER 14, 1999 AT 9:15 A.M.
24. 9:15 a.m. – Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Michael E. Williamson, on his behalf and on behalf of the Summit Lake Drive Preservation Coalition, to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on April 7, 1999 to adopt a Negative Declaration and approve Use Permit Request No. 98183-UP of Robert Craig Winery, L.P. to establish a new winery with a production capacity of 25,000 gallons/year (including custom production up to 5,000 gallons/year produced by a maximum of two (2) custom production operations involving crushing, fermentation, barrel aging and bottling), the construction of a 12,000 + square foot winery building, retail sales and a marketing plan, located on a 20.19 acre parcel, the south side of Summit Lake Drive, approximately 1-1/4 miles west of its intersection with White Cottage Road, within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 018-060-072).
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration prepared. (Continued from July 13, July 20 and September 1`4, 1999) (Applicant and Appellant Request Continuance to November 23, 1999 at 9:15 a.m.)
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO NOVEMBER 23, 1999 AT 9:15 A.M.
25. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests authorization to apply for a
$1 Million Grant from the Department of Labor for a Title IV-Pilot and Demonstration program and authorization for the Chairman to sign the grant application designating Napa County as the Authorized Representative, Designated Fiscal Agent and Grant Recipient on behalf of the Counties of Marin, Sonoma, Solano, and Napa.
APPROVED REQUEST W-V-R-BW-L
26. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests authorization to co-apply with the State of California and five other regional consortia for a $500,000 grant from the Department of Labor to test innovative methods to implement the Individual Training Accounts system and authorization for Chairman to sign a letter to the Director of the State of California Employment Development Department on behalf of the North Bay Employment Connection agreeing to participate in the grant.
APPROVED REQUEST BW-V-R-W-L
THE BOARD APPOINTED CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE AND SUPERVISOR
BRAD WAGENKNECHT. V-W-R-BW-L
SUPERVISOR WINTER REPORTED ON NAPA COUNTY HOUSING TRUST FUND BOARD MEETING ON PROPOSAL TO PURCHASE JEFFERSON STREET PROPERTY FROM CALIFORNIA DIVISION OF FORESTRY.
SUPERVISOR WINTER ALSO REPORTED THAT THE NAPA COUNTY TRANSPORTATION PLANNING AGENCY WILL CONSIDER THE STRATEGIC PLAN AND THE METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION WILL MAKE A PRESENTATION ON THE BLUE PRINT FOR THE 21ST CENTURY.
CHAIRMAN LUCE REPORTED ON SOUTH-NAPA WASTE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY MEETING TO BE HELD IN THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING ROOM ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 1999 AT 8:00 A.M. REGARDING THE TRANSPORTATION OF GARBAGE.
SUPERVISOR RIPPEY REPORTED ON NAPA COUNTY YOUTH AND GANG VIOLENCE PREVENTION TASK FORCE MEETING TO BE HELD IN
ST. HELENA THIS MONTH.
31. Closed Session regarding:
Conference with Real Property Negotiator (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: 1436 Polk Street, Napa
Negotiating parties: Public Works Director and CDI Development & Realty, Inc.
Under negotiation: Conditions of sale
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING, TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M.
Supervising Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained