MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
November 2, 1999
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
SHERIFF SIMPSON LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
CANDACE ELIZA SPOKE ON PLIGHT OF THE HOMELESS.
4. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of the Regional Emergency Medical Services (EMS) System Plan for the Counties of Sonoma/Mendocino/Napa and authorization to submit the Plan to the State EMS Authority. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
APPROVED R-BW-V-W-L A-4089
9. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval and authorization to accept a cellular telephone donated to the Department by Mr. and Mrs. Maurice MacColl.
15. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4005 with Mendoza & Associates at a set fee not to exceed $78,896.11 for a new total agreement value of $392,464.11 for additional construction management for the seismic retrofit of the Pope and Putah Creek Bridges.
19. County Counsel requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following:
B. Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4169 with Foley & Lardner to increase the contract maximum by $35,000 for the purpose of providing supplemental legal
services through the County Counsel’s Office principally in the health and human services area relating to state and federal funding of health care services;
D. Agreement with Erickson, Beasley, Hewitt & Wilson for the purpose of providing supplemental legal services through the County Counsel’s Office in the eminent domain area in the amount of $30,000. A-4233
20. County Counsel requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 5 to Agreement No. 3135 with Mervin Lernhart to provide conflict public defender services through June 30, 2000 with a contract maximum of $315,600.
23. Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS 1 THROUGH 22.
24. 9:05 a.m. - Public Hearing - Presentation by Dale Wagerman and Don Peterson on the 2000 Legislative Platform.
25. 9:10 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider and approve the expenditures requested by the Sheriff, the District Attorney and the Director of Corrections for the Supplemental Law Enforcement Services Fund (also known as the State COPS Program).
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
APPROVED REQUEST V-W-R-BW-L
26. 9:15 a.m. - Public Hearing - Director of Corrections requests adoption of a resolution setting new fees in the Department of Corrections for the Electronic Monitoring Program.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
ADOPTED RESOLUTION V-W-R-BW-L R-99-131
(SEE LAKE BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
28. 10:00 a.m. - Director of Health and Human Services Agency to discuss the ambulance Request For Proposals (RPP) bid process and recommendation for possible Board action to accept or reject the recommendation from the Proposal Review Committee to allow Exclusive Operating Areas to Piner Ambulance for ambulance service for the following two Exclusive Operating Areas as identified in the Emergency Medical Services Plan:
Exclusive Operating Area One located generally north of Yount Mill Road including the communities of Oakville, Rutherford, Deer Park, the cities of St. Helena and Calistoga; and the Lake Berryessa resorts in the Spanish Flat Area;
CONTINUED TO NOVEMBER 23, 1999.
Exclusive Operating Area Two located generally south of Yount Mill Road including the communities of the Town of Yountville, the City of American Canyon and the southern designated area of Lake Berryessa, but not including the City of Napa.
APPROVED STAFF RECOMMENDATION
29. 1:30 p.m. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District meeting.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES)
THE BOARD APPROVED STAFF RECOMMENDATIONS AS LISTED IN STAFF REPORT DATED NOVEMBER 2, 1999 WITH THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENT:
STAFF WILL RETURN TO THE BOARD ON NOVEMBER 23, 1999 WITH A DRAFT ORDINANCE INCLUDING A DEFINITION OF OPEN SPACE.
THE BOARD REAFFIRMED ITS COMMITMENT TO THE SECOND PHASE OF THE NAPA RIVER WATERSHED PROJECT AND ADVISED THE DIRECTOR TO TAKE ON A LEADERSHIP ROLE IN ORDER TO EXTRACT INFORMATION FROM THE TASK FORCE.
THE BOARD FURTHER DIRECTED STAFF TO REAFFIRM WITH EACH MEMBER OF THE TASK FORCE THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE PROJECT, REVISIT THE GROUND RULES AND AGREE TO ADHERE TO THOSE GROUND RULES.
Jeanette Clare Marcia
Teri L. Price
Patt S. Gorsuch
THE BOARD APPOINTED JEANETTE CLARE MARCIA.
33. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
DISCUSSED DURING PRESENTATION BY DALE WAGERMAN AND DON PETERSON.
34. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
35. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
SUPERVISOR RIPPEY REQUESTED DIRECTOR OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES PROVIDE AN UPDATE ON WELFARE REFORM PRIOR TO THE END OF THE YEAR.
36. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
DIRECTOR OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES ANNOUNCED THAT THE WINTER SHELTER WILL OPEN THIS WEEKEND.
37. Closed Session regarding:
Name of case: Napa Citizens for Honest Government and North Bay Citizens for Responsible Transportation v. County of Napa. (Superior Court Case No. 26-04014)
CLOSED SESSION HELD
THE BOARD UNANIMOUSLY AGREED TO APPEAL.
Property: 3400 Jefferson Street, Napa
Negotiating parties: Public Works Director, Napa Valley Community Housing and Napa Valley Housing Authority
Under negotiation: Terms of purchase agreement
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained