MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
August 3, 1999
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, AUGUST 3, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
FORMER SUPERVISOR HAROLD MOSKOWITE LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment.
TOM CAREY WITH DICKENSON, PEATMAN AND FOGERTY, REQUESTED THE BOARD IMMEDIATELY AGENDIZE RECONSIDERATION OF ITS ACTION OF JULY 27, 1999 POSTPONING THE AETNA SPRINGS ELECTION PENDING THE COMPLETION OF A REPORT.
HAROLD MOSKOWITE AND FIRE CHIEF GIL PRIDMORE, REPORTED ON CAPPELL VALLEY FIRE DEPARTMENT’S NEW CONSTRUCTION PROJECT, CURRENT FINANCIAL STATUS AND FUTURE FISCAL NEEDS.
4. Auditor-Controller requests authorization to prepare the necessary accounting entries to close the financial books for Fiscal Year ended June 30, 1999. (4/5 vote required)
5. Treasurer/Tax Collector requests authorization to pay George Couch/Couch Distributing Company Money Purchase Pension Plan $90,351.14, which represents the excess proceeds from the Tax Collector’s Public Auction. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
6. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3749 with Ron Haimowitz, Ph.D., for a maximum of $1,050 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide counseling to a specific client of the Children’s System of Care. A-3749
7. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign renewals of the following agreements for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide services in the Mental Health Outpatient Managed Care Program:
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4068 with Liliana Garcia, RN, for a maximum of $13,312 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide Nurse Practitioner services in County health clinics. A-4068
9. County Fire Chief requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Napa State Hospital for a maximum of $10,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide emergency response services within a designated area around the hospital. A-3418
10. County Fire Chief requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Schell Vista Fire Protection District for a maximum of $12,500 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2004 to provide emergency response services within a designated area adjacent to their jurisdiction. A-2497
PULLED FOR DISCUSSION
APPROVED V-W-BW-R-L A-4194
12. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Ralph Osterling Consultants, Inc. in the amount of $70,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide consultant services relating to the implementation of the County Conservation Regulations. A-3489
13. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign agreement with Therese A. Garbarino in the amount of $23,400 to provide services relating to the processing of applications for Certificates of Compliance. A-4191
14. Director of Environmental Management requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the State Department of Health Services in the amount of $58,375 for the term June 1, 1999 through June 30, 2001 to conduct source water assessments for public drinking water sources. A-4192
15. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution approving an application for funding under the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, Disaster Recovery Initiative, in the amount of $200,000 to be used for Napa River and tributary debris clearing. R-99-94
16. Director of Public Works requests authorization to award the construction contract for the Hall of Justice Re-roof Project, PW 99-7, to RSI Roofing Services of Santa Rosa, California for their low bid of $57,946.
17. Clerk of the Board requests approval of and authorization for the Registrar of Voters to establish a Central Counting Precinct at the Napa County Elections Department to conduct a Special Municipal Election to be held November 2, 1999, pursuant to City of American Canyon Resolution Nos. 99-29 and 99-38 with the provision that all services rendered by the County in connection with such an election be reimbursed in full.
19. County Administrator requests adoption of an amended Policy for Budgetary Controls Resolution and rescinding Resolution No. 99-57 adopted June 1, 1999. (4/5 vote required) R-99-96
20. Discussion of items removed from the consent calendar.
SEE ITEM 11
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS NOS. 4 THROUGH 19
21. Closed Session regarding:
Conference with legal counsel – anticipated litigation
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b): (One case)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
ADOPTED ORDINANCE V-W-BW-R-L O-1162
THE BOARD RECOMMENDED ADOPTION OF A RESOLUTION ENDORSING RECOMMENDATION FOR AETNA SPRINGS RESORT.
THE BOARD RECOMMENDED ADOPTION OF A RESOLUTION ENDORSING RECOMMENDATION FOR SKYLINE PARK.
A. Hold a public hearing to consider any protests with respect to the assessments for structural fire protection (the "Fire Protection Assessment") and streetside landscaping, street lighting and street sweeping services (the "Street Assessment") proposed for adoption in County Service Area No. 3 by the Board in Resolution No. 99-86 and to determine whether, or to what extent, to adopt the Fire Protection Assessment and/or the Street Assessment for the 1999/00 Fiscal Year; and
B. Adopt a resolution levying the Street Assessment and the Fire Protection As Assessment in County Service Area No. 3 for the 1999/00 Fiscal Year.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
ADOPTED RESOLUTION BW-W-R-V-L R-99-97
25. 9:30 a.m. - Public Hearing - Consideration and possible adoption of a resolution revising and creating new fees for Agricultural Commissioner, Conservation, Development and Planning Department, Corrections, County Counsel, Court Executive Officer, Environmental Management, Health and Human Services Agency–Drinking Driver Program, Napa City-County Library, Public Defender and the Department of Public Works.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
ADOPTED RESOLUTION R-BW-V-W-L R-99-95
26. 10:00 a.m. - Joint Meeting with the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission:
Discussion and possible action on the Department’s Advanced Planning Work Program for 1999-2000.
JOINT MEETING HELD
THE BOARD ACCEPTED THE ADVANCED PLANNING WORK PROGRAM AND ADDED ITEMS 1.5 PHASE II, A NAPA RIVER WATERSHED TASK FORCE MAY 1999 RECOMMENDATIONS AND 1.6 HOUSING ASSESSMENTS AND RELATED STUDIES FOR MEASURE "A" EXTENSION.
27. 1:30 p.m. - Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District meeting.
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES)
29. Discussion and possible action with the Sheriff regarding the July 17, 1999 Lake Berryesssa concert. (Supervisor Varrelman)
SHERIFF GARY SIMPSON SUMMARIZED THE EVENT AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.
30. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
31. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR VARRELMAN REPORTED ON HOWELL MOUNTAIN WATER COMPANY’S SERIOUS PROBLEMS STEMMING FROM EROSION, CONSTRUCTION, ETC.
32. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
DISCUSSION REGARDING WATER SUPPLY AREAS OF NON-MUNICIPAL SUPPLIERS (SUPERVISOR VARRELMAN)
33. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
A. Conference with Real Property Negotiator (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: 3400 Jefferson Street, Napa.
Negotiating parties: Public Works Director and Napa Valley Community Housing.
Under negotiation: Intent to purchase.
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
B. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation
(Government Code Section 54954.5)
Name of case: Last Resort v. County of Napa (Napa Superior Court Case No.
CLOSED SESSION HELD NO REPORT
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained