MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
July 20, 1999
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, JULY 20, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
FORMER SUPERVISOR FRED NEGRI LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment.
AL CARDWELL EXPRESSED HIS DISPLEASURE WITH THE GOVERNMENT’S PROPERTY TAXATION PRACTICES.
4. Sheriff requests authorization to extend 60.79 hours of accrued vacation time for a Sergeant through August 6, 1999.
5. Sheriff requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following amendments for police services for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000:
7. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Sheila Daugherty for a maximum of $35,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000, to provide consultation regarding alcohol and drug prevention services including implementation of the Drug Court.
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization
for Chairman to sign an agreement with Partnership HealthPlan of California allocating $19,453 for the term January 1, 1999 through December 31, 1999 for the purchase of children’s car seats and bicycle helmets and public education activities. A-4188
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3700 with the California Department of Health Services in the amount of $21,735 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 for the Child and Infant Immunization program. A-3700
A. Agreement No. 4037 with Ron Haimowitz, Ph.D.; A-4037
B. Agreement No. 4064 with Janet S. Cain, Ph.D.; A-4064
C. Agreement No. 4122 with Michele Merritt, M.F.C.C.; A-4122
D. Agreement No. 4117 with Nathan H. Thuma, M.D.; and A-4117
A. Delete one (1) Health Program Manager; and
B. Add one (1) Chief Public Health Manager.
A. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) application and grant agreement in the amount of $742,500; and
B. State of California pre-application, application and grant agreement in the amount of $37,125.
A. Rejection of bid from C & J Painting due to unmet licensing requirements; and
B. Approval to award the bid to Zartaloudis Construction for their total bid of $28,800, including both Additional Alternatives.
17. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Jonesy’s Famous Steak House, Inc. to lease premises at the Napa County Airport for the term January 1, 2000 through December 31, 2009 at a base rent of $3,750 per month. A-636
18. Director of Public Works requests authorization for Chairman to sign the following Consent Documents which will permit the execution and recordation of Deeds of Trust assigning certain interests held by R.A. Bridgeford, Inc. to The Vintage Bank as collateral for a loan to Bridgeford to finance construction of a new service center:
A. Consent to assign Napa County Agreement No. 3370 (Fuel Management Agreement), as amended, to The Vintage Bank as collateral; A-3370
B. Consent to assign Napa County Agreement No. 3371 (Terminal Offices and Office/Hangar Building land lease) to The Vintage Bank as collateral; and
C. Consent to assign Napa County Agreement No. 4174 (additional land lease for a still-to-be constructed hangar) to The Vintage Bank as collateral.
(Continued from July 13 and June 29, 1999)
19. Library Director requests authorization to apply for a Youth Services Materials Grant from th e California State Library in an amount not to exceed $10,000.
20. Personnel Director requests approval of the following actions effective July 24, 1999
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board):
A. Amend the Departmental Allocation List in Sheriff (23500) deleting fifty-five (55) Senior Deputy Sheriff II/Deputy Sheriff I/II positions and adding fifty-five (55) Senior Deputy Sheriff II/Deputy Sheriff I/II/Deputy Sheriff Trainee positions;
21. County Administrator/Purchasing Agent requests authorization for the following:
A. Declare certain items as surplus and dispose of them at public auction (Complete list on file with the Clerk of the Board); and
B. Declare a Maytag gas dryer, Model MDLDG33, as surplus and authorize trade-in on a replacement dryer.
22. Adoption of a resolution authorizing agreement between the County of Napa and the City of Napa pertaining to adjustments in the allocation of property taxes as a result of detachment of certain property from the City of Napa (Hagen Road Detachment), and directing the Chairman of the Board to execute the agreement on behalf of the County of Napa. R-99-89
23. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of July 13, 1999.
24 Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS 4 THROUGH 24
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration prepared.
(Continued From July 13, 1999)
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED – NO TESTIMONY PRESENTED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO SEPTEMBER 14, 1999 AT 10:00 A.M.
(SEE LAKE BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
(SEE NAPA-BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
(SEE NAPA COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT MINUTES)
DISCUSSED – STAFF WAS DIRECTED TO DRAFT AN ORDINANCE FOR FIREWORKS PERMITS TO COINCIDE WITH NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. V-BW-R-W-L
30. Discussion and possible action to initiate amendment to the Napa County Code relating to "right to agricultural processing." (Supervisor Winter)
DISCUSSED – STAFF WAS DIRECTED TO INITIATE AN AMENDMENT TO THE NAPA COUNTY CODE RELATING TO "RIGHT TO AGRICULTURAL PROCESSING". V-W-BW-R-L
31. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
32. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WINTER REPORTED ON A MEETING SHE ATTENDED REGARDING FARMWORKER HOUSING ISSUES.
SUPERVISOR VARRELMAN RECOUNTED AL CARDWELL’S PUBLIC COMMENT AND THOUGH SYMPATHETIC WITH HIS DILEMMA, FELT HIS ANGER IS MISDIRECTED, AS THE DUTIES OF THE ASSESSOR AND TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR ARE DEFINED BY LAW.
33. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
34. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
JOHN TUTEUR, ASSESSOR-CLERK-RECORDER-REGISTRAR OF VOTERS, REPORTED ON THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS YEAR’S ASSESSMENTS ON THE ROLL.
35. Closed Session regarding:
Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation
(Government Code Section 54956.9(a))
Name of case: Jefferson v. County of Napa (Superior Court Case No. 70705)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
Name of case: Napa Citizens for Honest Government and North Bay Citizens for
Responsible Transportation v. County of Napa (Superior Court Case
CLOSED SESSION HELD - NO REPORT
Name of case: (Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board – WCK 0031297)
THE BOARD AGREED TO SETTLEMENT IN THE AMOUNT OF $80,000.
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained