MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
July 13, 1999
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, JULY 13, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER, AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
CHARLES SLUTZKIN LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
CHAIRMAN PRESENTED RESOLUTION. R-99-87
AL CARDWELL EXPRESSED HIS DISPLEASURE WITH WHAT HE FEELS ARE UNFAIR PROPERTY TAX ASSESSMENTS, AND THAT CITIZENS WITH ANNUAL INCOMES OF $10,000 OR LESS SHOULD BE EXEMPT FROM PROPERTY TAXES.
RICCARDO GAUDINO REFERRED TO THE BUILDING AT 1436 POLK STREET (AG BUILDING) AND EXPRESSED HIS DESIRE FOR THE CIVIC AND POLITICAL LEADERS TO WORK TOGETHER TO ACHIEVE COMMON GOALS, I.E., SAVING STRUCTURES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO ITS CITIZENRY.
CANDACE ELIZA ADVISED MANY HOMELESS PERSONS, SUCH AS HERSELF, ARE MENTALLY ILL AND ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF OVERNIGHT SHELTERS. MS. ELIZA REQUESTED THE BOARD CONSIDER ACQUIRING OVERNIGHT SHELTERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
5. Treasurer/Tax Collector requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 2688 with Sunguard Treasury Systems, effective June 30, 1999, in the amount of $5,310 for monthly maintenance and $34,500 for training and the software upgrade to the Treasury portfolio and management system.
6. Treasurer/Tax Collector requests approval of the application for Discharge of Accountability, filed with the Board of Supervisors, pertaining to certain uncollectable tax bills, totaling $40,710.13.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
7. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4128 with Alternatives for Better Living, Inc., for a maximum of $24,520 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide self-sufficiency training to participants in the CalWorks Program.
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3607 with Community Health Clinic Ole, for a maximum of $10,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide tuberculosis screening. A-3607
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4074 with Martin L. Forst, Ph.D., for a maximum of $10,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide evaluation services for the County Tobacco Control Program. A-4074
A Agreement No. 4029 with Linda Bancke, Ph.D.; A-4029
C. Agreement No. 4049 with Richard Geisler, Ph.D.; and A-4049
A. Accept the Engineer’s Report for Fiscal Year 1999/00 prepared by Terrance E. Lowell and Associates, Inc. for submission to the Clerk of the Board; and
B. Adopt a Resolution of Intention to Levy Certain Benefit Assessments for structural fire protection, streetside landscaping, street sweeping, street and highway lighting, and authorizing noticing a protest hearing at 9:15 A.M. on August 3, 1999. R-99-86
(Engineer’s Report on file with the Clerk of the Board)
A. Approve Budget Transfer No. 1, increasing the proposed budget appropriation by $8,182 to a total of $36,855; and BT-1
17. Director of Public Works/Aviation and County Counsel request approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the Consent and Agreement of Lessor agreements between the County of Napa, R.A. Bridgeford, Inc., dba Bridgeford Flying Services (BFS) and The Vintage Bank relating to existing agreements between the County and BFS. (Continued from June 29, 1999)
CONTINUED TO JULY 20, 1999
18. Job Training Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3774B with the State of California Employment Development Department/Job Training Partnership for $333,370 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2001 for job training services. A-3774B
19. Library Director requests authorization to amend the Departmental Allocation List as follows:
A. Delete: Two (2) vacant 0.5 Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) Library Assistant I/II
B. Add: One (1) full-time Library Assistant I/II position.
20. Library Director requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 3, increasing Budget Unit 61200’s Proposed Fiscal Year 1999/00 Budget revenue by $11,770 and reducing the Fiscal Year 1998/99 fund balance assigned to Reserves by $10,290, with offsetting increases in Fiscal Year 1999/00 appropriations for Federal: Literacy Convocation ($11,360) and Appropriation for Contingencies ($10,700). (Requires 4/5 vote)
21. Personnel Director requests approval of revised class specifications for Animal Attendant and Animal Attendant Trainee. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
22. Personnel Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following contract amendments for participation in the County Wellness Program extending the terms from July 1, 1999 to June 30, 2000 with rate increases for Exertec and Napa Valley Athletic Club (formerly La Cancha) and no rate change for Healthquest:
A. Amendment No. 2 to Agreement No. 3973 with Exertec Fitness Center;
B. Amendment No. 12 to Agreement No. 2232 with Napa Valley Athletic Club; and A-2232
C. Amendment No. 9 to Agreement No. 2938 with Healthquest Fitness and Aerobics Center. A-2938
23. Personnel Director requests the following actions effective September 1, 1999:
A. Approve monthly rates for retirees over 65 for Kaiser Medicare Plans, Kaiser Senior Advantage Plans, PacifiCare Medicare Plan, and PacifiCare Secure Horizon Plan; and
B. Authorize Personnel Director to sign service agreements for health insurance renewals. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
24. County Administrator requests the Board:
A. Accept and file the 1998/99 Grand Jury Report with the Clerk of the Board; and
B. Direct the County Administrator to prepare a response to the Grand Jury Report by September 28, 1999 as prescribed by law. (Report on file with the Clerk of the Board)
25. County Administrator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3915 with California Services Bureau of Marin County, Inc. to perform comprehensive collections of court related fines, fees and costs through September 30, 1999. A-3915
26. County Administrator requests adoption of the calendar for Fiscal Year 1999/00 Final Budget Hearings, setting commencement of budget hearings for Tuesday, September 14, 1999 and scheduling September 21, 1999 as the date for adoption of the Final Budget.
27. Adoption of Resolution No. 99-85 endorsing the Bay Trail Plan. R-99-85
28. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of June 29, 1999.
29. Discussion of items removed from the consent calendar.
APPROVED CONSENT CALENDAR ITEM NOS. 5 THROUGH 28.
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration prepared.
(Staff recommends that the appeal be continued to August 24, 1999)
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED – NO TESTIMONY PRESENTED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO AUGUST 24, 1999
31. 9:10 a.m. Auditor-Controller and Bartig, Basler & Ray, certified public accountants, to present Audit Report and management letter for Fiscal Year 1997/98.
(Reports on file with the Clerk of the Board)
ACCEPTED AUDIT REPORT. V-W-BW-R-L
32. 9:15 a.m. – Public Hearing - First and final reading and adoption of a proposed Zoning Ordinance No. 98504-ORD implementing provisions of the Airport Industrial Area Specific Plan adopted in October, 1998 (the "Airport Plan") for the Napa County Airport Industrial Park Area (the "Plan Area"). Environmental Determination: Adoption of the above described ordinance is within the scope of the previously certified Final Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (FSEIR) for the Napa County Airport Industrial Specific Plan and that the FSEIR adequately describes the impacts of the ordinance for purposes of California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). (14CCR Section 15168(e).)
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
THE BOARD FOUND THE ORDINANCE CONSISTENT WITH THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT.
ADOPTED ORDINANCE AS AMENDED.
33. 10:00 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Del Dotto Winery/David and John Del Dotto to Condition of Approval No. 11 which requires all uses within the historic winery building be brought into conformance with the County Zoning Ordinance prior to winery occupancy and start of operation, as required by Use Permit No. 98230-UP approved by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on May 19, 1999 to establish a 20,000 gallons per year winery with marketing and tours and tasting in an existing building located on a 6.65 acre parcel on the west side of Atlas Peak Road and approximately 850 feet north of Monticello Road within a Commercial Limited (CL) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 039-320-008)
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration adopted.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
THE BOARD UPHELD THE APPEAL AND MODIFIED CONDITION OF APPROVAL NO. 11. V-W-BW-R-L
34. 10:30 a.m.. Discussion regarding future plans for the County-owned building located at 1436 Polk Street.
DISCUSSED – THE BOARD APPROVED THE RECOMMENDATION AND ADDED A TIMELINE OF ONE (1) YEAR OR LESS TO ACHIEVE THE ACTIONS RECOMMENDED. V-W-BW-R-L
35. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
36. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT REPORTED THAT THE AGRICULTURAL COMMISSIONER WAS PREPARING WRITTEN COMMENTS TO THE BAY AREA AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT BOARD’S PROPOSED REGULATIONS FOR AGRICULTURAL LANDS.
SUPERVISOR RIPPEY REPORTED ON A PRESENTATION MADE AT THE NAPA COUNTY LEAGUE OF MUNICIPALITIES MEETING REGARDING THE HILLSIDE/WATERSHED ORDINANCE AND ADVISED THERE IS AN EFFORT CONSISTING OF VARIOUS ENTITIES, INCLUDING NAPA COUNTY LAND TRUST, TO PLACE 600 ACRES IN THE SOUTH COUNTY AREA INTO A CONSERVATION EASEMENT.
SUPERVISOR WINTER ADVISED SHE HAD ATTENDED A GROUND BREAKING CEREMONY FOR THE SILVERADO CREEK APARTMENTS.
CHAIRMAN LUCE REPORTED ON THE NAPA SANITATION DISTRICT MEETING AND ADVISED THE NEW REPRESENTATIVE FROM THE CITY OF NAPA WAS COUNCILMEMBER JOANN BUSENBARK .
37. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO INITIATE AN AMENDMENT TO THE NAPA COUNTY CODE RELATING TO THE "RIGHT TO PROCESS". (SUPERVISOR WINTER – 7/20/99)
38. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
39. Closed Session regarding:
Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b): (One case)
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained