MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
June 8, 1999
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, JUNE 8, AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
A MOMENT OF SILENCE WAS OBSERVED IN MEMORY OF RALPH HUNTER, SAFETY COORDINATOR FOR THE COUNTY OF NAPA.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
TOM TRICE, LIBRARY DIRECTOR, LED THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG.
3. Public Comment.
- Sheriff requests second reading and adoption of an ordinance amending County Code Chapter 12.16 regarding Lake Hennessey that will exempt the Sheriff’s patrol boat from boating regulations on Lake Hennessey and making other non-substantive changes to the ordinance.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L O-1157
- Superior Court requests the following changes to Court Departmental Allocation List, effective 8, 1999:
- Add four (4) Judicial Assistant I-Limited Term positions (Budget Unit 21000); and
- Add one (1) Information Systems Specialist I-Limited Term position
(Budget Unit 209).
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to a Mental Health Managed Care Agreement (Auditor No. 5095) with Lena Kibble, MFCC, whose aggregate contract payments will exceed $10,000 during Fiscal Year 1998/99.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-4171
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests the following actions regarding the Child Abuse Prevention, Intervention, & Treatment (CAPIT) Program:
- Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following contract
- Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 2221 with the California
Department of Social Services (CDSS), increasing the Fiscal Year 1998/99 allocation for local CAPIT activities by $27,194 for a new Fiscal Year maximum of $80,570;
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-2221
- Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 2100 with ALDEA, Inc., increasing the maximum contract amount by $10,000 for a new maximum of $32,294 for Fiscal Year 1998/99; and
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-2100
- Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 2115 with COPE, increasing the maximum contract amount by $15,000 for a new maximum of $49,410 for Fiscal Year 1998/99.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-2115
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 104, to realize $27,194 in CAPIT
revenue and appropriate this amount to fund the above County contract expenditures and Health and Human Services Agency expenditures related to the CAPIT Program.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-104
- Director of Public Works requests authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Easement Deed from Michael T. Voss and Patty J. Voss as a condition of a parcel map of the lands of Myron D. and Evelyn Walker recorded January 13, 1975 in Book 6 of Parcel Maps at Page 81 of the Napa County Recorder.
- Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. RDS 97-7, "Seismic Retrofit of Pope and Putah Creek Bridges, Berryessa Valley Project."
- Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Marvin L. Crawford, Sr. and Mary J. Crawford to defer the construction of road improvements on Green Island Road as required by their Use Permit No. 89-23.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-4170
- Director of Public Works requests adoption of the following resolutions to facilitate traffic flow, parking and increase safety during the Transamerica Golf Tournament to be held October 4 - 10, 1999:
- Resolution designating Hillcrest Drive and Westgate Drive as combined use highways;
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L R-99-58
- Resolution establishing temporary crosswalks on Atlas Peak Road;
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L R-99-60
- Resolution establishing temporary restrictions on parking on portions of
various County roads; and
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L R-99-59
- Resolution establishing temporary speed zones on portions of Atlas Peak Road, Hardman Avenue, Westgate Drive, and Hillcrest Drive.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L R-99-61
- Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 100 establishing a $30,000 appropriation in the Courts Capital Improvement Budget (16000), for the design and construction of a four-stall Courts parking area within the Sheriff’s secured parking area, with offsetting revenue from available Court fines.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-100
- Board of Supervisors meeting as the Board of Directors of the Lake Berryessa Resort Improvement District.
(SEE LAKE BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
- Board of Supervisors meeting as the Board of Directors of the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District.
(SEE NAPA-BERRYESSA RESORT IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT MINUTES)
- County Counsel requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Foley & Lardner with a maximum compensation of $125,000 with an expiration date of June 30, 2000 to provide legal services relating to State and Federal funding of health care services provided by the County.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-4169
- Library Director requests the following: (4/5 vote required)
- Authorization to accept an augmentation to a budgeted and awarded
Federal Adult Literacy Program grant through the California Department of Education in the amount of $3,500; and
- Approval of Budget Transfer No. 102, increasing revenue in Federal:Other in the amount of $3,500 with an offsetting increase in Special Departmental Expense:Literacy by the same amount in Budget Unit 61200.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-102
- Library Director requests the following: (4/5 vote required)
- Authorization to accept, in accordance with the Napa City-County Library
Gifts and Donations Policy, a bequest in the amount of $38,413 from the Schmidt Family Trust;
- Authorization to place the funds in Reserves-Designations, with the designated purpose being "Collection Development;" and
- Approval of Budget Transfer No. 103, decreasing revenue in Other/Revenue:Donations by $38,413 and increasing reserves in Designations by the same amount in Budget Unit 61200.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-103
18. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests approval of Budget Transfer
No. 101 accepting and appropriating $15,000 in the Regional Training Employment budget (50600) from the California Department of Labor for North Bay Employment Connection grant activities. (4/5 vote required)
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-101
- County Administrator requests approval to extend the expiration date for certain Limited Term positions.
- County Administrator requests adoption of the Board’s Vision Statement and Guiding Principles as revised at the Board’s recent planning offsite.
- Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of June 1, 1999.
- Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
- 9:10 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Linda Emerson, on behalf of Susan and Thomas Jinks, to Condition No. 2 of Conditional Certificate of Compliance No. 97516-COC, requiring the paving of the access road, as approved by the Zoning Administrator on March 5, 1999 to recognize a 19.80 acre parcel as a separate, legal lot of record, located approximately 4,000 feet east of Silverado Trail, 9,000 feet southeast of Yountville Cross Road, within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 032-400-025). Environmental Determination: Exempt from California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
(APPLICANT REQUESTS CONTINUANCE TO SEPTEMBER 14, 1999 AT 9:15 A.M. STAFF CONCURS.)
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO SEPTEMBER 14, 1999 AT 9:15 A.M.
- 9:10 a.m. - Public Hearing - Consideration and possible adoption of proposed Zoning Ordinance Amendment No. 98473-ORD amending Section 18.104.310.A(2) of the Napa County Code regarding farm labor camps to allow occupation of a congregate housing facility for three hundred thirty (330) days in a calendar year rather than the two hundred seventy (270) days currently allowed. Environmental Determination: General Rule.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
WAIVED READING BALANCE OF ORIDINANCE.
ADOPTED ORDINANCE W-V-R-BW-L O-1158
- 9:15 a.m. - Public Hearing - Board to consider appeal filed by Celerino Uribe to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on March 24, 1999 to revoke Use Permit No. UP 688687 (Larry Whittington) approved by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on May 4, 1988 for the continuation of an auto dismantling, salvage and junk business, and extended by the Commission on June 7, 1989. Due to noncompliance with both conditions of approval and mitigation measures, the permit was modified and extended to November 14, 1989. The site is a 3.0 acre parcel located on the north side of Green Island Road approximately 2.6 miles west of State Highway 29 within a General Industrial: Airport Compatibility Combination (GI:AC) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 058-060-004). Environmental Determination: Exempt from California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
(APPLICANT REQUESTS CONTINUANCE)
PUBLIC HEARING OPENED – TESTIMONY PRESENTED
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED TO JUNE 22, 1999 AT 11:00 A.M.
- 12:00 p.m. - Recess to Annual Luncheon at the U.C. Cooperative Extension located at 1710 Soscol Avenue.
- Sheriff to discuss and request possible action regarding the planning and preparation for a potential concert at Lake Berryessa in July, 1999.
SHERIFF GARY SIMPSON PRESENTED REPORT.
STAFF WAS DIRECTED TO RESEARCH ENFORCEMENT POSSIBILITIES AND REPORT BACK TO THE BOARD.
28. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
29. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT REPORTED A MEETING WILL BE HELD NEXT WEDNESDAY AT THE AIRPORT TO DISCUSS OZONE REGULATIONS.
SUPERVISOR RIPPEY ANNOUNCED THE GANG TASK FORCE WILL MEET WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9, 1999 AT 12:15 P.M., IN THE BOARD CHAMBERS.
SUPERVISOR WINTER REPORTED ON THE THIRD ASSOCIATION OF BAY AREA GOVERNMENTS HOUSING METHODOLOGY MEETING.
CHAIRMAN LUCE REPORTED ON THE NAPA SANITATION DISTRICT MEETING.
30. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT REQUESTED ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROVIDE AN UPDATE ON THE "GREEN BUSINESS PROGRAM".
31. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
32. Closed Session: None scheduled.
CLOSED SESSION NOT HELD
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained