MINUTES OF THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF NAPA
April 13, 1999
- Call to Order.
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF NAPA MET IN REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, APRIL 13, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN MARK LUCE, SUPERVISORS MIKE RIPPEY, MEL VARRELMAN, KATHRYN WINTER AND BRAD WAGENKNECHT.
- Pledge of Allegiance.
THE SALUTE TO THE FLAG WAS HELD.
- Public Comment.
- Director of Corrections requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 64 accepting $423,211 in unanticipated revenue from the Bureau of Justice Assistance and appropriating $94,890 for overtime in the current fiscal year, $35,350 in salaries reserve and $292,971 in a construction reserve account (Budget Unit 24500).
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-64
- Director of Corrections requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Brian Everett, Facility Training Officer, to attend an advanced self defense training seminar in Coos Bay, Oregon on May 13 through 16, 1999 at a cost of $500.
- District Attorney requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 63 transferring $936 from the Asset Forfeiture Trust Fund and $15,008 from the Consumer Affairs Trust Fund to reimburse District Attorney prosecution expenses (Budget Unit 22400).
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-63
- Sheriff requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 61 appropriating $9,374 from the Asset Forfeiture Trust Fund (Budget Unit 23500) for the purchase of ten portable radios.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-61
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval to submit a grant application in the amount of $9,743 to the California Department of Mental Health for federal Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH) funds.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Michele Merritt, MFCC, for a maximum of $480 for the term March 1, 1999 through June 30, 1999 to provide counseling services.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-4147
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests the following actions related to CalWorks Stage II child care:
- Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to
Agreement No. 4000 with Community Resources for Children, increasing the amount by $888,250 to a new maximum of $2,128,736, for child care administration and direct payments to providers; and
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-4000
- Approval of Budget Transfer No. 62 appropriating $888,250 in Social Services (Budget Unit 50100) with offsetting revenue from the California Department of Social Services.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L BT-62
- Director of Aviation requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Avigation and Hazard Easement Deed of E. Hiew Lee and C. Chan Lee (Assessor’s Parcel No. 058-070-001).
- Director of Aviation requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Wanda Kennedy, Airport Manager, to attend the American Association of Airport Executives Conference in Phoenix, Arizona on May 16 through 19, 1999 for an estimated cost of $2,000.
- Director of Public Works requests the Board approve the reduction, from 10% to 5%, of the amount withheld from payments to the contractor, for work completed on the Assessor/Recorder Public Access Remodel Project, PW 98-7.
- Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution closing Orchard Avenue between Dry Creek Road and Solano Avenue on June 5, 1999 to accommodate the Cycle for Kids event.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L R-99-34
- County Counsel requests authorization to sign written consent acknowledging the possibility of conflicts which may arise from legal representation of County of Napa by Goldfarb & Lipman, Attorneys, as it represents the County of Napa, the City of Napa, Napa Valley Community Housing and BRIDGE Housing Corporation in the development of the Apartments at Silverado Creek, a housing development for low income persons.
- Personnel Director requests approval to pay vacation accrued over 240 hours to a retiring Deputy Marshal.
- Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Carney, Hammond and Filmore for the term March 2, 1999 through September 30, 1999 at a cost not to exceed $89,884 for the development of a regional marketing campaign.
APPROVED W-BW-R-V-L A-4148
- County Administrator requests Chairman be authorized to sign a letter in support of SB 981 (Polanco) which would allow public entities to use "wrap-up" insurance on construction projects in lieu of requiring each contractor and subcontractor to maintain separate insurance policies.
- County Administrator/Purchasing Agent requests that certain vehicles and equipment be declared surplus, be removed from County inventory and be authorized for sale at public auction. (Surplus list on file with the Clerk of the Board)
- County Administrator/Purchasing Agent requests approval to amend the fixed asset list for Capital Improvements Budget 16000 to add a workstation for the new Criminal Justice Planner.
- County Administrator requests acceptance of the listing of applications for six (6) vacancies on the Mental Health Board and schedule the appointments on April 20, 1999 for the terms as indicated below:
Category of Vacancy Applicant Term
Interested & Concerned Citizen Michael D. Hansen (Incumbent)* January 1, 2002
Dr. Charles Taylor*
James V. Boulier
Consumer George P. Davis (Incumbent)* January 1, 2002
Family Member of Consumer Walter Hampe (Incumbent)* (1) January 1, 2001
Cheri J. Bailly-Jacobs* (2) January 1, 2002
David J. Sumbardo (Incumbent)*
*As recommended by the Mental Health Board.
- Appoint Todd Gregory Hurlburt as the Student (Shared) representative on the Advisory Board on Drug and Alcohol Programs with the term of office to expire January 1, 2000.
- Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meetings of March 23 and March 30, 1999.
- Discussion of items removed from the Consent Calendar.
25. 9:15 a.m. - Public Hearing - Appeal filed by Last Resort, Inc. to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Director on September 16, 1998 to deny Site Plan Approval No. 98047-SPA to establish a 100-seat restaurant open to the public at the Aetna Springs Resort on a 24.46 acre parcel located on the south side of Aetna Springs Road within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 018-020-046) (Continued from November 10, 1998, January 12, 1999 and March 23, 1999)
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
THE BOARD DECLARED INTENT TO DENY THE APPEAL AND REFERRED TO COUNTY COUNSEL TO PREPARE FINDINGS OF FACT TO SUPPORT ITS DECISION FOR CONSIDERATION ON MAY 25, 1999.
- 2:00 p.m. - Public Hearing - County Administrator to discuss and request adoption of a resolution adjusting rates charged by the Napa Valley Disposal Service (NVDS) for the collection and disposal of garbage applicable to Garbage Zone One located generally in the unincorporated areas of Napa County in the vicinity of the Cities of Napa and American Canyon and the Napa County Airport.
PUBLIC HEARING HELD
ADOPTED RESOLUTION R-BW-V-W-L R-99-35
- Director of Public Works requests approval to develop plans and specifications for the demolition of the County-owned building located at 1436 Polk Street in Napa.
CONTINUED TO APRIL 27, 1999 AT 9:10 A.M.
- Acting Job Training Director to make a presentation about the 1999 Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
NANCY WATT, LEGISLATIVE ANALYST, REPORTED ON THE STATUS OF AB 950 (WIGGINS).
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT REFERRED TO THE LETTER FROM TEHAMA COUNTY SUPERVISOR BARBARA MCGYVER AND REQUESTED THE BOARD FORMALLY OPPOSE THE ELIMINATION OF STATE FUNDS ALLOCATED TO CMSP (COUNTY MEDICAL SERVICES PROGRAM).
30. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
SUPERVISOR WINTER REPORTED ON THE BUS TRIP TO CALISTOGA WITH ASSEMBLYWOMAN PAT WIGGINS, NAPA COUNTY TRANSPORTATION PLANNING AGENCY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR MIKE ZDON AND LOCAL STAFF TO VIEW AND DISCUSS THE HIGHWAY 29 INTERCHANGE PLAN. SUPERVISOR WINTER ALSO REVIEWED THE ASSOCIATION OF BAY AREA GOVERNMENT’S (ABAG) METHODOLOGY FOR HOUSING MEETING.
SUPERVISOR WAGENKNECHT REPORTED ON THE FOLLOWING:
- LEAGUE OF MUNICIPALITIES MEETING.
- CALIFORNIA STATE ASSOCIATION OF COUNTIES BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING.
- BAY AREA AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT (ABAG), CITY OF NAPA AND TORO’S LAWN MOWER PROGRAM TO DECREASE AIR POLLUTION.
SUPERVISOR RIPPEY REPORTED ON THE NAPA COUNTY NAPA RIVER WATERSHED TASK FORCE MEETING.
31. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
- Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR JAY HULL REPORTED ON A CONFERENCE WITH STATE SENATOR WES CHESBRO IN WHICH FLOOD CONTROL, TRIAL COURT FUNDING AND THE FUTURE OF CMSP (CALFORNIA MEDICAL SERVICES PROGRAM) WERE DISCUSSED.
- Closed Session regarding:
A. Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b): (Two cases)
Initiation of litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c): (One case)
- Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation (Government Code
Name of case: Last Resort, Inc. v. County of Napa et. Al. (Case No.
- Conference with Real Property Negotiator (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: 3400 Jefferson Street, Napa, California.
Negotiating parties: County negotiator: Kenneth H. Johanson
Interested party: Napa Valley Community Housing
Under negotiation: Instructions to negotiator concerning price and terms of payment.
CLOSED SESSION HELD – NO REPORT
ADJOURNED TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY,
APRIL 20, 1999 AT 9:00 A.M.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Vote: L = Mark Luce; R = Mike Rippey; V = Mel Varrelman; W = Kathryn Winter;
BW = Brad Wagenknecht
Notations under Vote: N = No; X = Excused; A = Abstained