NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 9, 2003 9:00 A.M.
William S. Chiat
County Executive Officer
Clerk of the Board
The Board of Supervisors meets each Tuesday at 9:00 A.M. at 1195 Third Street, Suite 305, Napa, California 94559. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. Assistive listening devices and interpreters are available through the Clerk of the Board of the Napa County Board of Supervisors. Requests for disability related modifications or accommodations, aids or services may be made to the Clerk of the Board’s office no less than 72 hours prior to the meeting date by contacting (707) 253-4580 (253-6088TDD).
The agenda is divided into three sections:
CONSENT ITEMS - These matters typically include routine financial or administrative actions, as well as final adoption of ordinances that cannot be both introduced and adopted at the same meeting. Any item on the CONSENT CALENDAR will be discussed separately at the request of any person. CONSENT CALENDAR items are usually approved with a single motion.
SET MATTERS – PUBLIC HEARINGS - These items are noticed hearings, work sessions, and items with a previously set time.
ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS - These items include significant policy and administrative actions and are classified by program areas. Immediately after approval of the CONSENT CALENDAR, if the time for hearing SET MATTERS has not arrived, ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS will be considered.
ANY MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE DESIRING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON A MATTER ON THE AGENDA please proceed to the rostrum and, after receiving recognition from the Chair, give your name, address, and your comments or questions. In order that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please be brief and limit your comments to the specific subject under discussion. Time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair or Board.
AGENDA AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.co.napa.ca.us
1. CALL TO ORDER; ROLL CALL
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3. PRESENTATIONS AND COMMENDATIONS - NONE
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's posted agenda. In order to provide all interested parties an opportunity to speak, time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair. As required by Government Code, no action or discussion will be undertaken on any item raised during this Public Comment period.
5. DEPARTMENT DIRECTORS’ REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
6. CONSENT ITEMS
A. County Fire Chief requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign a Memorandum of Understanding between the American Canyon Fire District, the cities of Napa and Vallejo, and the County of Napa to provide a multi-agency hazardous incident response team.
B. Sheriff requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the following renewal agreements for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide animal services:
1) Agreement No. 3585 with the City of Napa increasing the amount by $13,763 for a new maximum of $150,000; and
2) Agreement No. 3886 with the City of American Canyon increasing the amount by $5,839 for a new maximum of $25,000.
C. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 2131 with the Regents of the University of California for a maximum of $25,882.50 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide training to Health and Human Services Agency staff.
Human Services - Continued
D. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3260 with Crestwood Behavioral Health, Inc., for a maximum of $898,533 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide residential mental health services.
E. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4622 with ALDEA, Inc., for a maximum of $519,370 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide therapeutic services to clients in the Children’s Behavioral Health programs.
F. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4879 with Dana Talbot, MFT, for a maximum of $750 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide services in the Children’s Behavioral Health program.
G. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4917 with Napa Valley College for the term
August 1, 2003 through July 31, 2004 for a maximum of $1,200 per student per semester to provide stipends for fieldwork performed at the Health and Human Services Agency.
H. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign an agreement with Steven Boyd, LCSW, for a maximum of $1,000 for the term September 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide counseling services in the Substance Abuse Treatment Options Program (S.T.O.P.).
I. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the following agreements with Terri Linn, MFT, for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004:
1) An agreement for a maximum of $1,900 to provide services in the Children’s Behavioral Health program; and
2) A Business Associate Agreement setting forth the terms and conditions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule.
Community Resources & Infrastructure
J. Agricultural Commissioner requests:
1) Approval of the Napa County Sudden Oak Death Hazardous Tree Assessment, Removal and Restoration Plan; and
2) Adoption of a resolution agreeing to comply with the terms of the Hazardous Tree Assessment, Removal and Sudden Oak Death Syndrome Tree Restoration State/County Agreement between Marin County and the State of California, Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
K. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign a letter in support and recognition of the Napa County Resource Conservation District’s efforts in their application for the 2003 Governor’s Environmental and Economic Leadership Award.
L. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests:
1) Approval of Budget Transfer No. 10 transferring $3,900 within the Wildlife Conservation Commission budget (4/5 vote required); and
2) Consideration and approval of the following four (4) grant proposals:
a) $3,000 for Land Trust of Napa County to create an integrated Geographic Information System database for its Biodiversity Legacy Program;
b) $3,000 for the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District to fund the Aquatic Outreach Institute (AOI), Kids in Creeks education program in Napa County;
c) $6,900 for the California Native Plant Society, Napa Valley Chapter, Martha Walker Native Habitat Garden, to create wetter habitats within the garden; enhance populations of native plant and wildlife species and their habitats and to improve visitor day use capabilities; and
d) $3,000 for the Wildlife Rescue Center of Napa County to assist in the on-going operations and in the establishment, operation and maintenance of a permanent Wildlife Rescue Center.
M. Library Director requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign Amendment
No. 3 to Agreement No. 4420 with Beth S. Chamberlain in an amount not to exceed $20,000 to implement the English Language Literacy Intensive (ELLI) grant program.
N. Director of Public Works requests award of the contract for the “Skyline Wilderness Park Entrance Improvements Project,” PW 02-28, to R&C Construction of Middletown, California, for their low bid of $75,800 and authorization for the Chair to sign the construction contract.
Community Resources & Infrastructure – Continued
O. Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution temporarily closing Lodi Lane to through traffic from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday, September 22 through Friday, September 26 for repairs to the deck of Napa River Bridge on Lodi Lane, pursuant to
Section 942.5 of the Streets and Highways Code.
P. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the Escrow Agreement For Security Deposits In Lieu Of Retention with North Bay Construction Company of Petaluma, California, for the Napa County Airport 2003 Airport Expansion,
PW 02-06 Project.
Q. Director of Public Works/Aviation requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign a License Agreement with Napa Valley Biplane Company, Inc. for the term
September 9, 2003 through September 9, 2004, renewable for two additional one-year terms, to provide biplane flights from the Napa County Airport.
General Administration & Finance
R. Auditor-Controller requests authorization to draw a warrant in the amount of $70,000 from the Napa County Fair Fund, payable to the Napa County Fair, to establish a fund for the California Fairs Motorized Racing Task Force.
S. County Counsel requests the following actions in connection with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) requests:
1) Authorization for the Chair to sign a letter in support of the modification of the trail network in Knoxville;
2) Authorization for the Chair to sign a letter to enforce a prohibition of firearms and paint ball activities in the Quail Ridge Reserve; and
3) Direction to staff to work with BLM to begin the process to change the name of Devilshead Road in Knoxville.
T. Human Resources Director requests adoption of the following retirement resolutions:
1) No. 03-159 for Jane Davison, Assistant to the Public Administrator-Guardian, in recognition of 40 years of service; and
2) No. 03-160 for Scott LeStrange, Assistant District Attorney, in recognition of over
19 years of service.
U. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution approving the revised class specification for the position of Behavioral Health Care Manager-Substance Abuse, effective September 9, 2003.
General Administration & Finance - Continued
V. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3295-A with the Arts Council of Napa Valley for a maximum amount of $64,000 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide art therapy to patients at Napa State Hospital.
W. County Executive Officer requests:
1) Appointment of Supervisor Dillon as the Board's representative in discussions with the City of Calistoga regarding fire protection services; and
2) Concurrence with "Guiding Principles between the City of Calistoga and the County of Napa regarding Fire Protection Services" as the basis for discussions.
X. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meetings of August 19 and 12, 2003 and
August 13 and 6, 2002.
7. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR
8. SET MATTERS - PUBLIC HEARINGS
A. 9:15 A.M. Recess to the In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Public Authority of Napa County meeting (See IHSS Agenda).
B. 9:30 A.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Protection and Watershed Improvement Authority (NCFPWIA) Special Meeting (See NCFPWIA Agenda) or later upon completion of the IHSS meeting.
C. 9:45 A.M. First reading and intention to adopt an ordinance of the Board of Supervisors of the County of Napa amending Chapter 3.16 of the Napa County Code pertaining to reassessment of damaged or destroyed property.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: It can be seen with certainty that there is no possibility the proposed action may have a significant effect on the environment and therefore CEQA is not applicable. [See Guidelines for the Implementation of the California Environmental Quality Act, 14 CCR 15061(b)(3)]
8. SET MATTERS - PUBLIC HEARINGS - Continued
D. 10:00 A.M. County Counsel requests that the Board consider and adopt a resolution of Findings of Fact and Decision on Appeal denying the appeal filed by Jeanne M. DeVincenzi, attorney for Rutherford Hill Winery/Terlato Wine Group (a neighbor) regarding the decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on February 19, 2003, to approve Use Permit Modification No. 02423-MOD for the Kathryn Hall Winery to relocate the winery septic system to a new location on the winery parcel within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) zoning district (Assessor's Parcel No. 030-300-033, 60 Auberge Road, St. Helena).
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Negative Declaration prepared.
(STAFF REQUESTS CONTINUANCE TO SEPTEMBER 23, 2003 AT 11:00 A.M.)
E. 10:30 A.M. Study Session on the Cable Franchise Renewal process and authorization for the Chair to sign a Joint Powers Agreement for $20,000 with the City of Napa to obtain consulting services with the Buske Group to assist the County with the cable franchise renewal process.
9. ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS
A. Director of Health and Human Services to provide an update on shelter services and the planned Stabilization Center and request the following actions:
1) Accept the Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP) grant in the amount of $500,000 and the strategic plan for the South Market Shelter;
2) Direct staff to negotiate shelter contracts with Community Action of Napa Valley (CANV) for the Sullivan, Samaritan and Winter Shelters;
3) Direct staff to prepare a lease for county space at the HOPE Center;
4) Direct staff to negotiate a contract with Catholic Charities for transitional and emergency housing; and
5) Accept a report on the Stabilization Center.
General Administration & Finance
B. Consideration and possible action regarding Supervisor Mike Rippey’s nomination of
John Dickson to the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission with the term of office to run concurrently with Supervisor Rippey’s term of office.
10. LEGISLATIVE ITEMS
The Legislative Subcommittee will present a report. The Board may or may not take action on any or all items presented for discussion.
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ COMMITTEE REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
12. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
13. COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICER REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
14. CLOSED SESSION
A. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION
(Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
Names of cases:
1) Jorge Deharo, Hector Olvera, Latinos Unidos de Napa, an Unincorporated
Association v. County of Napa et. al. (Napa County Superior Court Case
2) Napa Citizens for Honest Government et al v. Napa County Board of Supervisors (Case No. 26-04014)
B. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION (Government
Code Section 54957)
Title: County Executive Officer
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY,
SEPTEMBER 16, 2003 AT 9:00 A.M.