NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY AUGUST 21, 2001 9:00 A.M.
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
5. Chief Probation Officer requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Del Norte County for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 to reserve seven beds for the placement of Napa County Juvenile Court wards at the Bar-O-Boys Ranch at a cost of $1,950 per bed and to pay $2,100 per month per bed when exceeding the seven bed usage.
6. Chief Probation Officer requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List adding one (1) Limited Term Deputy Probation Officer and one (1) 0.5 Limited Term Legal Clerk II, effective August 18, 2001, funded by the Gang Violence Prevention and Suppression Grant.
7. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4181 with Planned Parenthood-Shasta Diablo for a maximum of $23,257 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 to provide case management services for clients of the Cal Learn Program.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
8. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4199 with Alternatives for Better Living, Inc., for a maximum of $26,805 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 to provide early alcohol and drug intervention services.
9. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4068 with Liliana Garcia, RN, for a maximum of $19,584 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 to provide nurse practitioner services in County health clinics.
10. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 to provide services in the Mental Health Outpatient Managed Care Program:
A. Renewal of Agreement No. 4054 with Daniel R. Lott, Ph.D., for a maximum of $35,000;
B. Agreement with Steven Boyd, LCSW, for a maximum of $3,000;
C. Agreement with Barbara G. Reisman, M.D., for a maximum of $5,000; and
D. Agreement with Joseph M. Sholders, M.D., for a maximum of $3,000.
11. Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Eric Zimny, Compliance Officer, to attend the Fraud and Compliance Forum Conference in Washington, D.C., from September 29, 2001 through October 3, 2001, at an estimated cost of $2,400.
12. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of the following actions implementing a Department Reorganization effective September 1, 2001:
A. Amend the Departmental Allocation List for Conservation, Development and Planning to add one (1) (M) Watershed Coordinator;
B. Amend the Table and Index to add Watershed Coordinator, Principal Planner and Planning Technician;
C. Approve new class specification for the Watershed Coordinator, Principal Planner and Planning Technician;
D. Approve revised class specification for Planner III; and
E. Amend appropriate policies adding Watershed Coordinator.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
13. Information Technology Services Director requests adoption of the Electronic Government policy for countywide business operations.
14. Information Technology Services Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through September 30, 2001 for employee recruitment services:
A. Agreement with Tolfrey Group for $12,000; and
B. Agreement with Consultants Services Corporation for $13,196.
15. Personnel Director requests the following actions effective September 1, 2001:
A. Amend the Departmental Allocation List for Library to delete one (1) 0.8 Volunteer/Literacy Services Coordinator and add one (1) (S) Literacy & Volunteer Services Supervisor;
B. Approve new class specification for Literacy & Volunteer Services Supervisor; and
C. Amend appropriate policies to add to the supervisory listings the Literacy & Volunteer Services Supervisor.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
16. Adoption of Retirement Resolution No. 01-86 for Edward Estin, Assistant Juvenile Hall Superintendent, Juvenile Hall, in recognition of over 16 years of service.
17. County Administrator/Purchasing Agent and Sheriff request approval of the following actions related to the purchase and installation of a countywide Mobile Data Communications System (MDCS):
A. Authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Motorola, Inc. in the amount of $566,620 for the purchase and installation of a countywide MDCS;
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 1 in the amount of $671,629 with offsetting revenue from Contingencies in the amount of $65,000, the CLEEP Trust Fund in the amount of $143,908, and $462,721 from the Town of Yountville and the Cities of American Canyon, Napa, St. Helena and Calistoga (4/5 vote required); and
C. Establishment of fixed asset to purchase one MDCS for $313,915.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
18. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meetings of July 16 and July 17, 2001.
19. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
20. 9:15 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board to consider the following:
A. Adoption of a resolution establishing fees for Geographic Information System (GIS) Services and copies of records; and
B. Approval of GIS Data Dissemination Policy.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Categorically Exempt.
21. 9:20 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING First reading and intention to adopt an ordinance amending Chapter 1.08 of Title 1 of the Napa County Code adjusting the boundaries of the supervisorial districts.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Not subject to California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
22. 9:30 A.M. PUBLIC HEARINGS Board to consider appeals filed by Josephine Taddei and John & Giovanna Scruby to May 11, 2001 Zoning Administrator decision to approve Cosentino Winery - Use Permit Modification Request No. 00304-MOD to construct a 1,095 square foot metal storage shed along the south side of the existing winery facility for the storage of equipment used for wine production, located on a 4.29 acre parcel on the west side of the State Highway 29 approximately 1,100 feet south of Yount Mill Road within an Agricultural Preserve (AP) Zoning District. 7415 St. Helena Highway. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 027-540-013).
Environmental Determination: Categorically Exempt.
(APPELLANTS, APPLICANTS AND STAFF REQUEST CONTINUANCE TO
OCTOBER 2, 2001 AT 9:30 A.M.)
23. 9:30 A.M. Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization:
A. Approve minutes of Board of Equalization meetings of July 16 and July 31, 2001.
B. Agenda review.
00-33 & 00-34 Franciscan Vineyards, Inc.
(Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 034-100-017 and 030-070-009)
*Withdrawals on file with the Clerk of the Board.
SET MATTERS - Continued
Item No. 23 - Continued
D. REQUEST FOR CONTINUANCE*
00-06 & 00-07 Peter T. Stravinski
(Assessor's Parcel Nos. 058-420-020 and 058-420-022)
*Request for Continuance on file with the Clerk of the Board.
E. Adjourn to Board of Equalization meeting, Tuesday, September 18, 2001 at
24. 9:45 A.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Protection and Watershed Improvement Authority (NCFPWIA) Special Meeting. (See NCFPWIA Agenda)
25. 1:30 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) meeting. (See NCFCWCD Agenda)
26. 2:00 P.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board to consider appeal filed by Nicholas R. Van Male, Attorney on behalf of Robert Lichtman, Wesley and Lauren Thollender, Earl and Janet Thollender, Peggy Pochini, Marie R. Rogers, Madonna Day, Bud and Lisa Pochini and Peter and Libby Fourkas to the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission decision on May 2, 2001 to approve Tom Eddy - Use Permit Request No. 00175-UP to establish a 48,000 gallon/year winery within a proposed 10,200 square foot winery structure with retail sales by appointment only, a marketing plan, and custom production activities for 3 custom producers involving crushing, fermentation, barrel aging, bottling and utilizing up to 15,400 gallons/year of the proposed total production capacity, located on a 14+ acre parcel on the northeast side of State Highway 128, at the Napa/Sonoma County line within the Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. 3870 Highway 128. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 017-110-001)
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Negative Declaration adopted.
(PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED FROM AUGUST 7, 2001; APPLICANT
REQUESTS CONTINUANCE TO OCTOBER 16, 2001 AT 10:00 A.M.)
27. Clerk of the Board request nomination(s) of one (1) or both of the following two (2) applicants to the Countywide Pedestrian/Bicycle Advisory Committee with the term of office to expire December 2002:
Richard W. Fitzgerald
Sandra J. (Sandy) Houck
28. Clerk of the Board request appointment of the following two (2) persons to serve on the Napa County Commission on Self-Esteem. Appointees to be nominated by the Supervisors as listed below with the specified terms of office:
Dee M. Cage
Douglas T. Draeger
Category of Appointment Term of Office
Supervisor Mark Luce 1-1-02
Supervisor Mel Varrelman 1-1-04
(CONTINUED FROM AUGUST 14, 2001)
29. County Administrator and Director of Public Works to report to the Board regarding energy conservation matters, specifically shifting to an alternate work schedule.
30. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
31. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
32. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
REGULAR CALENDAR - Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION - Continued
33. Closed Session regarding:
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION (Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
Name of case: County of Napa/Deputy Sheriff's Association (CSMCS Case No.
ARB-00-0423, NB 2000)
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M.