NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY AUGUST 19, 2003 9:00 A.M.
William S. Chiat
County Executive Officer
Pamela A. Miller
Clerk of the Board
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's posted agenda. In order to provide all interested parties an opportunity to speak, time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair. As required by Government Code, no action or discussion will be undertaken on any item raised during this Public Comment period.
4. Department Directors’ Reports and Announcements.
5. Chief Probation Officer requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign renewals of the following agreements with the California Youth Authority for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 for wards of the Juvenile Court:
A. Agreement No. 628 for a maximum of $31,890 for the provision of diagnostic, treatment, and temporary detention; and
B. Agreement No. 3629 for a maximum of $5,000 for the provision of temporary emergency housing.
6. Sheriff requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign Amendment No. 8 to Agreement No. 3220 with the City of American Canyon for a maximum amount of $2,073,191 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide law enforcement services.
7. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4072 with Community Action of Napa Valley, Inc., for a maximum of $150,805 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide Proposition 99 tobacco control services.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
HUMAN SERVICES – Continued
8. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4581 with Solano School of Nursing Assistants, Inc., for a maximum of $3,500 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide vocational training services.
9. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4705 with Preferred Healthcare Registry, Inc., for a maximum of $100,000 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide occupational and physical therapy services.
10. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4771 with Wine Valley Yellow Cab Company for a maximum of $7,500 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide services to CalWORKs recipients for the Guaranteed Ride Home Program.
11. Director of Public Works requests the following:
A. Approval to revise the scope of the Connolly Ranch Bathroom and Field Kitchen project, as approved by the Board on September 11, 2001 as one of the Proposition 12 Parks Bond Act of 2000 Napa County Per Capita grant projects; and
B. Approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign a land tenure agreement with The Land Trust of Napa County certifying that the Land Trust (or its successors) will maintain and operate the property and improvements funded by the grant.
12. Director of Public Works requests award of the contract for the “Property Fence at Yountville Maintenance Yard Project,” RDS 03-05, to Crusader Fence Co. of Rancho Cordova, California, for their low bid of $13,886 and authorization for the Chair to sign the construction contract.
13. Director of Public Works requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for the Chair to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. RDS 02-13, “Asphalt Concrete Overlay of Various Roads in Napa County Project.”
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
PROPERTY – Continued
14. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign a Federal Apportionment Exchange Program and State Match Program Agreement with the State of California Department of Transportation (State Agreement No. X03-5921(031)) for the Fiscal Year 2002/2003 to receive $337,648 into the County Road Fund.
15. Director of Public Works/Aviation requests authorization to sign all Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and State of California Grant documents for approved projects contained in the Airport Capital Improvement Program.
16. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution amending the Departmental Allocation List for the Health and Human Services Agency with regards to adding three (3) Office Assistant II positions, one of which will be designated bilingual, and two (2) Medical Secretary positions, effective August 30, 2003.
17. Human Resources Director requests the following actions regarding the County Kaiser Health Plan benefit, effective September 1, 2003:
A. Adoption of a resolution approving monthly rates for County employees and retirees over age 65; and
B. Authorization for the Human Resources Director to sign service agreements for the period September 1, 2003 through December 31, 2004.
18. County Executive Officer requests appointment of the following applicants to serve on the Napa Valley Workforce Investment Board with terms commencing immediately and expiring as indicated:
Term expires June 30, 2004 Representing
Christine Burns* Private Sector Business
Elizabeth Davis (formerly Pridmore)* Private Sector Business
Carmen Garcia* One-Stop Partners
Larry Glenn* Labor
Jacquelin S. Gitman Community Based Organization
Randy Gourley* Labor
E.J. Hullana* Private Sector Business
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
Item No. 18 – Continued
Term expires June 30, 2004 Representing
Reuben Katz* Private Sector Business
Maritza Monge* Private Sector Business
Barbara Nemko* Education
Peter Stoppello* Private Sector Business
Brad Wagenknecht* Board of Supervisors
Term expires June 30, 2005
Bill Blair Education
Arvin Chaudhary* Private Sector Business
David Crespin* Private Sector Business
Valerie S. Deitrick Private Sector Business
Deborah L. Fries* One-Stop Partners
Kathleen Forni Private Sector Business
Robert G. Green* Private Sector Business
Celine Haugen* Economic Development
Aurelio Hurtado* Community Based Organization
Susan K. Jensen* Economic Development
Rhonda Slota* One-Stop Partners
Teresa Zimny* One-Stop Partners
19. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meetings of August 5 and July 29, 2003 and July 30, 2002.
20. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
21. 9:30 A.M. Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization:
A. Approve minutes of Board of Equalization meeting of July 15, 2003.
B. Agenda review.
00-09 & 00-10 Peter Jefferson
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 036-273-017)
(CONTINUED FROM MAY 20, 2003)
*Background information on file with the Clerk of the Board.
D. Adjourn to Board of Equalization meeting Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 9:30 A.M.
22. 1:30 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) meeting (See NCFCWCD Agenda) or later upon completion of the Board of Equalization meeting.
23. 2:30 P.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board of Supervisors conduct a public hearing and first and final reading and adoption of proposed ordinance change No. 03109-Ord making technical corrections to Sections 18.12.010, 18.104.230, 18.104.305 and 18.140.050 and amending Sections 18.104.270, 18.116.020 and 18.124.120 of the Napa County Code relating to standards and permits for fences, signs for agricultural parcels, setbacks for wineries located in open space areas, and revocation of use permits due to abandonment of use.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Categorical exemption pursuant to Class 5 (CEQA Guidelines Section 15303), Minor alterations to land use limitations.
(PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED FROM JUNE 10, 2003)
24. 3:00 P.M. PUBLIC HEARING Consideration and possible action regarding an appeal filed by Kevin Block, on behalf of his clients Susan and Lonen Curtis to a decision made by the Conservation, Development and Planning Department (the “Department”) on October 16, 2002 approving an Erosion Control Plan Structural No. 02461-ECPS (A Modification to ECPS No. 98241-ECPS) for Kenneth and Susan Viney for land disturbing and earthmoving activities associated with the final construction of the lower driveway (“Phase 1”) on two parcels totaling 51.04 acres located on the west side of Soda Canyon Road, approximately 4.35 miles north of its intersection with Silverado Trail in an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 032-090-014 and 032-060-025)
(CONTINUED FROM JANUARY 28, FEBRUARY 25, APRIL 22, MAY 20 AND
JULY 8, 2003)
SET MATTERS – Continued
25. 4:00 P.M. PUBLIC HEARING Proposed Ordinance Amendment of the Board of Supervisors of the County of Napa amending Chapters 13.15, 15.08, 18.124 and 18.128 of the Napa County Code establishing permit requirements for the extraction and use of pumped groundwater as a water source on affected properties and exemption from said permit requirements.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Categorically Exempt, Class 8 (California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Guidelines Section 15308).
(DROPPED FROM CALENDAR BASED UPON CONTINUATION OF
PLANNING COMMISSION’S PUBLIC HEARING. THIS ITEM WILL BE
RE-NOTICED FOR THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS)
26. Auditor-Controller to discuss and request the following actions:
A. Adoption of a resolution authorizing the issuance of a promissory note to fund payment of the 2002-2003 delinquent secured taxes in connection with the implementation of the Teeter Plan as set forth in Revenue and Taxation Code Section 4703.2 for Fiscal Year 2003-2004;
B. Adoption of a resolution adopting the tax rates for the Fiscal Year 2003-2004 Secured Tax Roll; and
C. Adoption of a resolution establishing the Fiscal Year 2003-2004 appropriation limit and estimated revenue subject to the limit for the County of Napa, as required by Article XIII-B of the California Constitution.
27. Discussion and possible action including, but not limited to, the following legislation:
Budget Accountability Act
28. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
REGULAR CALENDAR – Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION – Continued
29. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
30. County Executive Officer Report.
31. Closed Session regarding:
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION
(Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
Names of cases:
i) Jorge Deharo, Hector Olvera, Latinos Unidos de Napa, an Unincorporated Association v. County of Napa et. al. (Napa County Superior Court Case No. 26-22255)
ii) Napa Citizens for Honest Government et al v. Napa County Board of Supervisors (Case No. 26-04014)
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2003 AT 9:00 A.M.