NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY JUNE 11, 2002 9:00 A.M.
County Executive Officer
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
5. District Attorney requests adoption of a resolution authorizing the District Attorney to sign the State Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board agreement increasing the amount by $345.87 for a new maximum of $56,966.87 (Amendment No. 1 to State Contract No. BOC 1068) to track restitution claims filed by crime victims.
6. District Attorney, Chief Probation Officer and Sheriff request approval of and authorization for the District Attorney to sign a grant extension with the Office of Criminal Justice Planning for the Gang Violence Suppression Multi-Component Program in the amount of $500,000 for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003.
7. Sheriff requests approval to apply for a $10,113 grant from the United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance, to purchase law enforcement equipment.
8. Acting Director of Health and Human Services requests authorization to apply for a grant in the amount of $123,439 from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development for the Transitional Residential Alliance and Integrated Network (TRAIN) Project.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
9. Acting Director of Health and Human Services requests adoption of a resolution authorizing an application for a $19,950 grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development Homeless Program for a Homeless Management and Information System (HMIS) and authorization to sign the grant application and execute any agreements required should the grant be awarded.
10. Acting Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of the following actions:
A. Authorization for the Acting Director of Health and Human Services to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the Napa-Solano Area Agency on Aging accepting a grant in the amount of $11,278 for substance abuse prevention educational materials for seniors, their families and caregivers; and
B. Budget Transfer No. 122 increasing appropriations in Budget Unit 42200 by $11,278 with an offsetting increase in revenues. (4/5 vote required)
11. Acting Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4318 with Evelyn Anderson for $4,800 for the term April 29, 2002 through October 31, 2002 to provide medical records consultation.
12. Acting Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3260 with Crestwood Behavioral Health, Inc., increasing the amount by $150,000 for a new maximum of $966,465 to provide residential mental health services.
13. Acting Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3579 with the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, decreasing the Fiscal Year 01/02 allocation by $156,092 for a new maximum of $1,337,816.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
14. County Fire Chief requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4618 with the City of Napa extending the term through June 30, 2003 for initial response by each jurisdiction’s fire department to all fire protection emergencies within defined areas pertaining to the other jurisdiction.
15. Director of Public Works request authorization to declare certain vehicles and equipment as surplus, remove them from inventory and dispose of them at public auction. (Surplus list on file with the Clerk of the Board)
16. Clerk of the Board requests appointment of the following applicants to serve on the Emergency Medical Care Committee with the terms of office to expire April 1, 2005:
Applicants Categories of Representation
Conrad Perez Napa Fire Department
Maria Lourdes Pena* St. Helena Hospital
Bonny Martignoni* Health Department
Ed Carlson* Health Department, Alternate
Dave Slaight* Napa City Police
Richard L. Collins* American Canyon Fire District
Keith Caldwell* American Canyon Fire District, Alternate
Framarz Mottalei, M.D.* Queen of the Valley Hospital
Michelle Monroe* Queen of the Valley Hospital Administrator
Veronica Simpson* Queen of the Valley Hospital Administrator, Alternate
17. Clerk of the Board requests approval of Budget Transfer No.123 transferring $4,000 from Appropriations for Contingencies to the Clerk of the Board budget to pay for unanticipated court reporter expenses. (4/5 vote required)
18. Regional Coordinator requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 124 appropriating $20,000 in the Regional Training and Employment budget, with offsetting revenues from Workforce Investment Act for research and skill gap assessment in the North Bay Region. (4/5 vote required)
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
19. Regional Coordinator requests authorization for out of state travel for Don Callison, Staff Services Analyst II, to attend the Workforce Innovations 2002 Conference in Nashville, Tennessee, from July 9-11, 2002, at an estimated cost of $1,000.
20. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Wagerman and Associates, Inc., and Peterson Consulting, Inc., for $126,232 for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2005 for legislative and regulatory advocacy services.
21. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4157 with James Rowland for a maximum monthly cost of $8,234 for the term July 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003 to coordinate and direct the work of the County Probation Department.
22. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meetings of April 29 and April 30, 2002.
23. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
24. 9:00 A.M. Special Meeting:
Board of Supervisors sitting as the Board of Directors of the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District:
A. District Engineer requests approval of the following actions related to the purchase of a pump for the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District:
i) Approval of Budget Transfer No. 121 transferring $13,092 within the Napa-Berryessa budget unit (Fund 6610) to establish a fixed asset appropriation. (4/5 vote required)
ii) Establishment of a fixed asset in the Napa-Berryessa budget in the amount of $13,092. (4/5 vote required)
25. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Open FY 2002/2003 Recommended Final Budget Hearings.
(See Budget Hearing Agenda)
A. Receive Budget overview presentation from the County Executive Officer;
B. Accept for consideration and possible adoption during Recommended Final Budget Hearings, Supplemental Budget Report #1;
C. Accept public and Board comment on overall County Budget priorities and programs; and
D. Upon conclusion of public and Board comment, commence consideration of individual budget units, programs and priorities.
26. 9:00 A.M. Recess to the In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Public Authority of Napa County Special Meeting. (See IHSS Agenda)
27. 9:00 A.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Protection and Watershed Improvement Authority (NCFPWIA) Special Meeting. (See NCFPWIA Agenda)
28. 12:00 P.M. Recess to Annual Luncheon at U.C. Cooperative Extension located at 1710 Soscol Avenue, Napa.
29. 2:00 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) Special Meeting. (See NCFCWCD Agenda)
30. Clerk of the Board requests appointment of two (2) members and one (1) alternate from the Board of Supervisors to serve as the representatives on the Napa Valley Housing Authority for a four-year term of office commencing July 1, 2002 and expiring June 30, 2006.
31. Clerk of the Board requests appointment of one (1) of the following applicants to serve on the Airport Advisory Commission as a General Public Representative with the term of office to expire December 31, 2003:
Michael J. Baldini Albert Iliff
John W. Blasingame Ed Shenk
Thomas Gill Todd Walker
32. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
33. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
34. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
35. Closed Session regarding:
A. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR (Government Code
Agency negotiator: Charla Freckmann
Employee organization: SEIU Local 614 representing employees in the NAPE and DSA bargaining units. Discussions will also reference unrepresented groups including management and non-classified.
REGULAR CALENDAR - Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION – Continued
Item No. 35 – Continued
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED
i) Initiation of litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c): as Amicus in case of Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, et al., Petitioners v. Guardianship Estate of Danny Keffeler, et al., 32 P.3d 267 (Wash. 2001), cert. granted May 28, 2002, Case # 01-1420.
ii) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b): (One case)
ADJOURN TO WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M. (IF NECESSARY) FOR CONTINUATION OF FISCAL YEAR 2002/2003 FINAL BUDGET HEARINGS AND TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, JUNE 18, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M.