NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY MAY 15, 2001 9:00 A.M.
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
5. Director of Corrections requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 88 appropriating $4,000 and establishing offsetting revenue in the Correction's budget for DNA testing. (4/5 vote required)
(CONTINUED FROM MAY 8, 2001)
6. Sheriff requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 93 appropriating $12,000 in the Napa Special Investigations Bureau budget, with offsetting revenues from Asset Forfeitures for undercover drug purchases. (4/5 vote required)
7. Sheriff requests authorization to apply for and sign documents related to a $10,000 grant from the Drug Enforcement Administration for the term January 1, 2001 through December 31, 2001 for the purchase of equipment relating to cannabis eradication.
(4/5 vote required)
8. Assessor/Recorder-County Clerk requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 92 in the amount of $34,820 increasing appropriations with revenues from the AB 719 State-County Property Tax Administration Loan Program in the Assessor's budget for Extra Help, Overtime, Computer Peripherals and Training. (4/5 vote required)
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
FINANCE - Continued
9. Auditor-Controller requests the following actions:
A. Approval to increase the fixed asset level from $3,000 to $5,000 and remove those items under $5,000 from the fixed asset listing;
B. Approval of an adjustment to the General Fund fund balance of $4,040.77 to reconcile outstanding cash issues;
C. Approval to delete computer equipment from various departmental fixed asset listings (List on file with the Clerk of the Board); and
D. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 97 increasing appropriations in the Auditor-Controller budget by $57,300 with offsetting revenues from Training and Employment Center and Regional Training Employment for salary reimbursement for accounting staff. (4/5 vote required)
10. Auditor-Controller requests the Board accept and instruct the Clerk of the Board to file the Audit Reports for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2000 for the following departments:
B. Fire Protection; and
C. Napa River Reclamation District #2109.
(Reports on file with the Clerk of the Board)
11. Director of Health and Human Services Agency and Job Training Director request approval of the Memorandum of Understanding with the Napa Valley Workforce Investment Board amending the term to July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2003 as required by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998.
12. Acting Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests adoption of a resolution creating the Napa River Watershed Task Force Oversight Committee.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
13. Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 80 increasing appropriations for depreciation in both the Vehicle and Equipment Replacement budgets by $120,000 each due to prior year depreciation expense recorded in the current fiscal year. (4/5 vote required)
(CONTINUED FROM MAY 8, 2001)
14. Director of Public Works requests the following actions relating to a replacement vehicle for the District Attorney:
A. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 89, transferring $3,840 from the District Attorney's budget to the Vehicle Replacement fund to purchase a replacement vehicle for the District Attorney at an estimated cost of $19,134 (4/5 vote required); and
B. Waiver of competitive bidding requirements and authorization of a sole source award to Kastner Pontiac GMC Honda, Napa, California, for the purchase of a used sedan in the amount of $19,134.
(CONTINUED FROM MAY 8, 2001)
15. Director of Public Works requests following actions:
A. Authorization to award the construction contracts for the "Atlas Peak Road Median Strip Tree Removal Project," PW 01-03A, to Atlas Tree Surgery of Santa Rosa, California for their low bid of $20,425 and for the "Atlas Peak Road Median Strip Landscaping Project," PW 01-03B, to Coast Landscape of Vallejo, California for their low bid of $179,650; and
B. Authorization for Chairman to sign the construction contracts.
16. Director of Public Works requests approval of apparent low bidder and award the contract for the "Asphalt Concrete Resurfacing of Various Roads in Napa County Project," RDS 01-06, for the amount of $1,552,635.50.
17. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a License Agreement with the Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity for a six-month term commencing April 1, 2001 and expiring September 30, 2001 at a monthly cost of $800 for office and meeting space located at 1001 Franklin Street, Napa, for the Library's Literacy Program.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
18. Clerk of the Board requests appointment of the following three (3) applicants to serve on the combined Juvenile Justice/Delinquency Prevention Commission with the terms of office to commence immediately and expire on March 1, 2005:
Applicant Category of Appointment
Seth Goldstein Citizen
Laurie E. Andrews Citizen
Marilyn Fournier Citizen
19. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Workforce Information Group for a maximum of $68,000 for the term May 1, 2001 through February 28, 2002 to provide consulting services on the 2002 Occupational Outlook Report and Training Directory profiling forty occupations.
20. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests the following actions in connection with the Caregiver Training Initiative Grant:
A. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the State of California Employment Development Department for $1,346,976 for the term March 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002 for grant implementation and administration; and
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 98 increasing revenue and appropriations in the Regional Training Center budget by $162,231. (4/5 vote required)
21. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests approval and authorization to revise the Napa Valley Workforce Investment Board By-laws increasing Board membership by 2 members for a new total of 31 members. (By-laws on file with the Clerk of the Board)
22. County Administrator requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Greg Pirie, Local Enforcement Agency Coordinator, to attend the National Environmental Health Association's Annual Education Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, from June 29, 2001 through July 3, 2001, at no cost to the County.
23. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
24. 9:05 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING County Administrator to discuss and request adoption of a resolution amending the Methodology and Guidelines for Adjusting Rates for Garbage Zone One located generally in the unincorporated areas of Napa County in the vicinity of the Cities of Napa and American Canyon and the Napa County Airport. (Noticed Public Hearing by Clerk of the Board)
25. 9:10 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Lakeview Boat Storage, LLC – General Plan Amendment Request No. GPA 00-001 - to amend the Napa County General Plan Land Use Map to change the land use designation of a 4.7± acre portion of a 30.7± acre parcel from Agriculture, Watershed & Open Space to Rural Residential located on 30.7± acre parcel on the northeasterly side of Berryessa-Knoxville Road, approximately ½ mile south of its intersection with Pope Canyon Road and north of the Berryessa Park subdivision, within the Agricultural Watershed (AW) and Commercial Limited (CL) Zoning Districts. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 019-280-006) (Noticed Public Hearing by Planning Department) (Public Hearing Open)
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration prepared.
(CONTINUED FROM APRIL 24, 2001)
26. 9:10 A.M. District Attorney, Chief Probation Officer and Sheriff to discuss and request approval of and authorization for the District Attorney to sign a grant application with the Office of Criminal Justice Planning for a Gang Violence Suppression Multi-Component Program in the amount of $500,000 for the term July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002.
27. 9:15 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board to consider appeal filed by Robert and Kristine Pallas to Director of Public Works approval of Lot Line Adjustment to the lands of Nathan Fay and Peter Riechers. (Noticed Public Hearing by Department of Public Works)
28. 9:30 A.M. Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization:
A. Approve minutes of Board of Equalization meeting of April 17, 2001.
B. Agenda review.
C. REQUEST FOR CONTINUANCE*
00-33 & 00-34 Franciscan Vineyards, Inc.
(Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 034-100-017and 030-070-009)
*Request for Continuance on file with the Clerk of the Board.
SET MATTERS – Continued
Item No. 28 - Continued
99-05 Albert Cardwell
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 001-162-004)
99-78 Austin Hills
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 032-530-007)
E. Adjourn to Board of Equalization meeting Tuesday, June 19, 2001 at
29. 1:30 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) meeting. (See NCFCWCD Agenda)
30. 2:00 P.M. Director of Public Works to discuss the Napa County Facilities Masterplan conducted by Michael Ross and Charles Drulis, Architects & Planners, Inc.
31. 2:10 P.M. Director of Public Works and Napa County Sheriff to discuss and request possible action relating to Space Study recommendation to relocate the Sheriff's Department.
32. 2:15 P.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board to consider Application for Temporary Event License Request No. 00367-E filed by Sterling Vineyards Winery to hold the “Merlot in May” event with food and wine on May 18, 2001, from 3:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. at Sterling Vineyards Winery, 1111 Dunaweal Lane, Calistoga. (Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 020-210-020, 020-150-048, 020-370-028 and 020-210-031) (Noticed Public Hearing by Clerk of the Board)
33. Auditor-Controller to discuss and request the following:
A. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with American Appraisal Associates, Inc. (AAA) for a maximum of $80,000 for the term May 15, 2001 through November 30, 2001 for fixed asset appraisal and verification services for the purpose of documenting compliance with Governmental Accounting Standards Board Statement No. 34 (GASB 34); and
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 95 in the amount of $24,000 from Contingencies to Central Services for the first 30% of the AAA, Inc. contract. (4/5 vote required)
34. Clerk of the Board requests the following appointments to the Napa County In-Home Supportive Services Advisory Committee with terms to expire May 15, 2003:
A. Appointment of the following three (3) citizens:
*Margaret E. Doss 65 years or older
*Rhoda Wolfson 65 years or older
*Joice M. Beatty Commission on Aging
*Melissa Mattos Former Provider of IHSS to Non-Family Member
C. Appointment of three (3) members:
Linda Anzures Younger than 65 years old
*Linda Allum Younger than 65 years old
*Blaine Cherrington Younger than 65 years old
Catherine Fryer Younger than 65 years old
*Randy Kitch Younger than 65 years old
D. Appointment of one (1) member:
*Diane S. Ballard Provider of IHSS to Family Member
Wanda Sarver Provider of IHSS to Family Member
Jean Blackburn Provider of IHSS to Family Member
REGULAR CALENDAR - Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION - Continued
Item No. 34 - Continued
E. Appointment of two (2) members:
*Sally Lacau Community Member
*Nancy Johnson Community Member
Josie Jenkins Community Member
Kathleen Meehan-Rubin Community Member
*Appointment recommended by the In-Home Supportive Services Steering
35. County Administrator requests authorization for Chairman to sign a letter to the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) on Peter T. Stravinski's requested annexation of South Kelly Road 194, LLC and concurrent amendment of its Sphere of Influence. (CONTINUED FROM MAY 8, 2001)
36. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
37. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
38. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
39. Closed Session regarding:
A. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR (Government Code
Agency negotiator: Bruce Heid
Employee organization: Napa Association of Public Employees
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL-EXISTING LITIGATION (Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
Name of case: County of Napa/Deputy Sheriff's Association (CSMCS Case No.
ARB-00-0423, NB 2000)
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ SPECIAL MEETING, MONDAY, MAY 21, 2001 AT 9:00 A.M. AT CAKEBREAD CELLARS, 8300 SAINT HELENA HIGHWAY, RUTHERFORD.