NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY MARCH 19, 2002 9:00 A.M.
County Executive Officer
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
4. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
5. Director of Corrections requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Terri Chapman for $20,000 for the term March 19, 2002 through June 30, 2003 to provide classes in parenting and birth planning skills for incarcerated inmates and to provide supervised family contact sessions between inmates and their families.
6. Sheriff requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4522 with BD Morgan Investigations Group, Inc. for $79 per prisoner per hour for local transportation of prisoners.
7. Auditor-Controller requests the Board accept and instruct the Clerk of the Board to file the Follow-up Report for the Probation Department for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2000.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
8. Acting Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign renewals of the following agreements for the term January 1, 2002 through December 31, 2002 to provide Touchpoints Trainings:
A. Agreement No. 4440 with Napa County Office of Education for a maximum of $15,998; and
B. Agreement No. 4445 with Ralph Myers, M.D., for a maximum of $15,998.
9. Acting Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following with the California Department of Health Services decreasing the maximum by $57,234 for a new maximum of $601,815 for the provision of AIDS education and prevention services:
A. Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3409, a Master Grant Agreement; and
B. Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3820, a Memorandum of Understanding.
10. County Fire Chief requests the following actions:
A. Establish a new fixed asset in the amount of $32,000 for the purchase of an extrication tool (4/5 vote required); and
B. Approve Budget Transfer No. 86 transferring $92,000 within Fire Protection budget to complete the purchase of two fire trucks, one rescue vehicle and one extrication tool.
11. Acting Director of Public Works requests approval of plans and specifications for the “Tree Trimming on Various Napa County Roads Project,” RDS 02-11, authorization to advertise for bids and setting 3:30 P.M. on April 25, 2002 for opening of sealed bids.
12. Acting Director of Public Works requests authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Easement Deed from Koerner Rombauer and Joan K. Rombauer, Trustees of the Koerner Rombauer and Joan Rombauer Revocable Trust, as a condition of Use Permit Modification No. 96010-MOD. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 021-410-025)
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
PROPERTY – Continued
13. Acting Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 85 establishing appropriations in Public Works for $175,000, with offsetting revenue from the State Department of Fish and Game, for services relating to the protection of Napa County watersheds through community education and resource group coordination.
(4/5 vote required)
14. Acting Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution temporarily closing the following road segments from 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. on Thursday, March 28, 2002 for the Solano Bicycle Classic:
A. Wooden Valley Road from Highway 121 to Wooden Valley Crossroad;
B. Wooden Valley Crossroad from Wooden Valley Road to Gordon Valley Road; and
C. Gordon Valley Road from Wooden Valley Crossroad to the Napa/Solano County line.
15. Acting Director of Public Works requests adoption of a resolution temporarily closing a portion of Berryessa-Knoxville Road from 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. on Saturday, May 18, 2002 for the Fourth Annual Napa Valley Triathlon.
16. Acting Director of Public Works/Aviation requests acceptance of the work as complete and authorization for Chairman to sign and file a Notice of Completion with the Clerk/Recorder for Contract No. PW 99-02, “Napa County Airport - Various Projects.”
17. Acting Director of Public Works/Aviation requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Reinard W. Brandley, Consulting Airport Engineer, for the term March 19, 2002 through June 30, 2003 for the amount of $147,000 to provide civil engineering design work for various airport improvement projects.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
PROPERTY – Continued
18. Acting Director of Public Works/Aviation requests the following actions relating to the construction of twelve (12) T-hangars at the Napa County Airport:
A. Adoption of resolution authorizing the application, execution of agreement and acceptance of a low interest $500,000 loan from the California Department of Transportation Aeronautics Program;
B. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a California Department of Transportation Aeronautics Program loan application in the amount of $500,000; and
C. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 87 appropriating an additional $145,000 for the T-hangar Project, with an additional $145,000 in offsetting revenue. (4/5 vote required)
19. County Counsel requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4488 with Martha E. Romero, increasing the hourly rate for work performed by associate attorneys from $140 to $150 per hour for bankruptcy related actions.
20. Job Training Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with New Horizons Computer Learning Centers, Inc. for a maximum of $2,500 for the term March 1, 2002 through June 30, 2002 for client job skills training.
21. Library Director and County Executive Officer/Purchasing Agent requests authorization to declare as surplus and no longer required for public use 117 books from the Napa City-County Library’s collection and authorization to transfer them to the Marin County Free Library. (4/5 vote required) (List of titles on file with the Clerk of the Board)
22. Acting Personnel Director requests adoption of a resolution amending the Roads Departmental Allocation List and Table and Index adding one (1) Traffic/Sign Maintenance Worker and deleting one (1) Road Maintenance Worker I/II/III, effective March 30, 2002.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
23. Acting Personnel Director requests adoption of resolution amending the Property Management Departmental Allocation List adding one (1) Building Maintenance Worker and amending the Public Works Departmental Allocation List adding one (1) Staff Services Analyst I/II, effective March 30, 2002.
24. Regional Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the California State University Sacramento Foundation for a maximum of $43,267 for the term April 1, 2002 through August 31, 2002 to collect occupational data for the California Cooperative Occupational Information System (CCOIS).
25. County Executive Officer requests adoption of a resolution approving the State-Local Partnership Program application for 2002-2003 and authorizing the Arts Council of the Napa Valley to execute the financial assistance contract with the California Arts Council.
26. County Executive Officer requests adoption of a Resolution of Intention to establish a new County Service Area No. 4 pertaining to Farmworker Housing.
Environmental Determination: Negative Declaration adopted by LAFCO
27. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of February 5, 2002.
28. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
29. 9:15 A.M. Closed Session regarding:
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – EXISTING LITIGATION (Government Code Section 54956.9(a))
Name of case: Sierra Club v. County of Napa, et. al. (Napa Superior Court Case
30. 9:25 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING First reading and adoption of Proposed Ordinance Amendment No. 00232-ORD adding Chapter 18.104.245 to the Napa County Code for the purpose of modifying minimum parcel size and setback requirements for establishing Pre-Prohibition wineries.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Negative Declaration Prepared. According to the Negative Declaration, the proposed project would have, if mitigation measures are not included, potentially significant environmental impacts in the following areas: None.
(CONTINUED FROM JANUARY 22, JANUARY 29 AND FEBRUARY 19, 2002;
STAFF REQUESTS THE MATTER BE DROPPED FROM THE AGENDA;
PUBLIC HEARING TO BE RENOTICED)
31. 9:30 A.M. Board of Supervisors meeting as a Board of Equalization:
A. Approve minutes of Board of Equalization meeting of February 19, 2002.
B. Agenda review.
01-02 Tiernan Bruna Estate
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 007-232-016)
00-80 & 01-20 Miner Family Winery, LLC
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 031-050-031)
01-46 Mark A. Adams
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 042-242-003)
*Stipulations on file with the Clerk of the Board.
SET MATTERS – Continued
Item No. 31 – Continued
00-09 & 00-10 Peter Jefferson
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 036-273-017)
(CONTINUED TO NON-SPECIFIC DATE)
01-23* Philip E. and Kathryn A. Gumm
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 005-051-013)
(CONTINUED TO APRIL 16, 2002)
*Requests for Continuance on file with the Clerk of the Board.
00-47 Beringer Wine Estates
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 009-010-026)
00-63/00-67 Domaine Chandon Inc.
(Assessor’s Parcel Nos. 126-121-054, 047-320-001,
034-140-021, 034-140-022 and 034-140-022)
01-05 Ronald S. Citron
(Assessor’s Parcel No. 021-020-010)
F. Adjourn to Board of Equalization meeting Tuesday, April 16, 2002 at
32. 9:45 A.M. Auditor-Controller and Bartig, Basler & Ray, Certified Public Accountants, to present audit reports and management letter for Fiscal Year 2000-2001. (Reports on file with the Clerk of the Board)
SET MATTERS – Continued
33. 10:00 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING County Counsel requests the following actions relating to a Clean-up Ordinance pertaining to Lot Line Adjustments:
A. Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Notice of Exemption; and
B. First and final reading and adoption of Ordinance No. 01283-ORD of the Board of Supervisors of the County of Napa, State of California, amending Sections 3.10.050, 8.44.030, 13.12.010, 15.08.040, 15.60.010, 17.14.265, 17.22.110, 18.20.040, 18.40.020, 18.40.040, 18.40.050, 18.40.060, 18.40.100, 18.40.110, 18.40.130, 18.80.020, 18.80.050, 18.80.060, 18.80.070, and 18.116.060 pertaining to Technical Corrections, Section 17.02.320 pertaining to the definition of lots, Section 17.06.050 pertaining to Parcel Map Exemption procedures, and Chapter 17.46 pertaining to Lot Line Adjustments.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Exempt (General Rule).
34. 10:15 A.M. Agricultural Commissioner requests the Board endorse the proposed vineyard open house events scheduled for Saturday, April 27, 2002 from 3:00 P.M. – 4:30 P.M., at ten prearranged locations throughout the County to foster communication and positive relationships between Napa County vintners and growers and their neighbors.
35. 11:00 A.M. Recess to Napa County Sheriff’s Department, 1125 Third Street, Napa, for tour of Incident Command Vehicle.
36. 1:30 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) meeting. (See NCFCWCD Agenda)
37. Acting Personnel Director requests adoption of a resolution, effective March 16, 2002:
A. Amending the Departmental Allocation List, Table and Index, and appropriate personnel policies with regard to the Acting Director of Public Works/District Engineer position and approving new class specifications with regards to the position of Director of Public Works/District Engineer; and
B. Appointing Robert J. Peterson as Director of Public Works/District Engineer and as the Napa County Land Surveyor.
REGULAR CALENDAR – Continued
38. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
39. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
40. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
41. Closed Session regarding:
A. Public Employment (Government Code Section 54957)
Title: Public Works Director
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section
54956.9(b) (One case)
C. CONERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR (Government Code Section 54957.6)
Agency negotiator: Bruce Heid
Employee organization: Napa Association of Public Employees and Napa County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association, SEIU Local 614
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2002 AT 9:00 A.M.