NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 9, 1999 9:00 A.M.
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
The Board of Supervisors meets each Tuesday at 9:00 A.M. at 1195 Third Street, Room 305, Napa, California 94559. If you require an assistive listening device, interpreter or any other special arrangement please provide the Clerk of the Board with 24-hour notice by calling 253-4580 (253-6088TDD).
The agenda is divided into three sections:
CONSENT CALENDAR - These matters include routine financial and administrative actions, as well as the final adoption of ordinances and are approved by a single majority vote.
SET MATTERS - These items are noticed hearings, work sessions and public hearings.
REGULAR CALENDAR - These items include significant policy and administrative actions and are classified by program areas. Immediately after approval of the CONSENT CALENDAR, if the time for hearing SET MATTERS has not arrived, the REGULAR CALENDAR will be considered.
ANY MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE DESIRING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON A MATTER ON THE AGENDA please proceed to the rostrum and, after receiving recognition from the Chair, give your name, address, and your comments or questions. In order that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please be brief and limit your comments to the specific subject under discussion. Time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair or Board.
AGENDA AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.co.napa.ca.us
- Call to Order; Roll Call.
- Pledge of Allegiance.
- 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
- Sheriff requests the following actions:
- Authorization to accept $34,725 from the California Highway Patrol increasing revenue for a Highway 29 Safety Grant; and
- Approval of Budget Transfer No. 39 (Budget Unit 23500) increasing overtime expenditures by $28,835 and fixed assets by $5,890 for the purchase of one Ultralyte 200 Laser ($3,495) and one Accident Investigation Package ($2,395).
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign renewals of the following agreements for "The Avenue" mental health residential program for the term July 1, 1998 through June 30, 1999:
- Agreement No. 3570 with the County of Marin for $58,128; and
- Agreement No. 4041 with the County of Contra Costa for $58,128.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3555 with the City of Napa for a maximum of $8,000 for the term July 1, 1998 through June 30, 1999 to provide services to the Friday Night Live program.
CONSENT CALENDAR - Continued
HUMAN SERVICES - Continued
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the following agreements with the Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity:
- Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 2556 increasing the amount by $25,000 for a new maximum of $133,000 for the term July 1, 1998 through June 30, 1999 for homeless shelter services; and
- Renewal of Agreement No. 3989 for $106,262 for the term October 1, 1998 through September 30, 1999 to provide services under the federal grant for the Transitional Residential Alliance and Integrated Network.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Mental Health Managed Care Agreement No. AUD5144 with Michelle Merritt, Marriage, Family and Child Counselor.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Community Health Clinic Ole for a maximum of $45,704 for the term July 1, 1998 through December 31, 1999 to provide indigent outreach services through a Wellness and Prevention grant.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4058 with Else Ross, M.D., increasing the amount by $3,445 for a new maximum of $16,965 and extending the term through June 30, 1999 for provision of psychiatric services and consultation for monolingual latino residents.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a Deferred Construction Agreement with Richard T. Boswell deferring construction of a left-turn lane on Silverado Trail as a condition of Use Permit No. 117980.
CONSENT CALENDAR - Continued
PROPERTY - Continued
- Director of Public Works requests the following actions pertaining to the completion of the intersection of Atlas Peak Road and Monticello Road (State Highway 121):
- Authorization to release bonds for performance and labor/materials; and
- Authorization for the Director of Public Works to release the Certificate of Deposit upon notification from the State of California of acceptance of intersection improvements.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization to sign a Grant Agreement with the Federal Aviation Administration for the grinding and resealing of joints on Runway 6-24 and overlay of Taxiway "C" and "D".
- Director of Public Works requests authorization for Chairman to sign a Certificate of Acceptance of an Avigation and Hazard Easement Deed from Napa South Limited Partnership, Napa East Limited Partnership and Hines Group II for six parcels located on the east side of State Route 221 generally between Airport Boulevard and Streblow Drive.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3916 with Martin & Kane, Inc. increasing the amount by $52,018 for a new maximum of $217,693 for additional design work and preparation of construction documents for the Oakville Crossroad Bridge.
- Acting Job Training Director and Regional Training Coordinator request approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Solano Private Industry Council for a maximum of $105,750 for the term October 1, 1998 through September 30, 1999 for the implementation of a regional staff development plan.
- Regional Training Coordinator requests adoption of a resolution approving the submittal of three One-Stop Career Center grant proposals, for a total request of $950,000, to the State Economic Development Department and authorizing Napa County to act as the Grant Administrator on behalf of the North Bay Employment Connection.
CONSENT CALENDAR - Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION - Continued
- County Administrator requests approval of the following actions to recognize funds from a State grant and County trust fund, to compensate the Napa Valley Economic Development Corporation for job creation services:
- Approve Budget Transfer No. 36 accepting and appropriating unanticipated revenue of $53,420 in Budget Unit 18600 from a grant with the State Trade and Commerce Agency for a Job Creation Program; and
- Amend Budget Unit 18600 accepting and appropriating unanticipated revenue of $5,000 from the Community Partnership Trust Fund and recognizing receipt of the initial payment of the State Trade and Commerce Agency Job Creation Grant by transferring $13,355 from the Auditorís Trust Fund to Budget Unit 18600 (County Contributions) as revenue.
- County Administrator requests adoption of a resolution designating certain emergency interim successors for each member of the Board of Supervisors pursuant to Napa County Code Section 2.04.080.
- Adoption of a resolution honoring the retirement of Frank Waldapfel from the Napa County Fire Department/Edgerly Island Volunteer Fire Department.
- Reappointment of the following persons to serve on the Law Library Board of Trustees with the terms of office to expire January 1, 2000:
Judge W. Scott Snowden, Superior Court
Michael Williams, Attorney (to serve as Trustee for Richard Bennett, Superior Court)
Paul Bardwell, Attorney, Bar Association
Dr. Houghton Gifford, Attorney (to serve as Trustee for Judge Ronald Young, Superior
Lou Biggo, Attorney (to serve as Trustee for Chairman of the Board of Supervisors)
James V. Jones, Attorney (to serve as Trustee for Judge Philip Champlin, Superior Court)
Paul Loomis, Attorney (to serve as Trustee for Judge Francisca Tisher, Municipal Court)
- Approve minutes of Board of Supervisorsí meeting of February 2, 1999.
23. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
24. 9:30 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Appeal filed by Robert and Ariane Matschullat to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on December 2, 1998 to adopt a Negative Declaration and approve Use Permit No. 97219-UP of Hagafen Winery/Norman and Irit Weir to establish a new winery of 6,800 square feet and an annual production capacity of 50,000 gallons (with up to 25,000 gallons per year produced by up to four custom production operations involving crushing, fermentation, barrel aging and bottling) and a Marketing Plan on a 12.23 acre parcel located on the east side of Silverado Trail approximately 0.5 mile north of its intersection with Soda Canyon Road within an Agricultural Preserve (AP) Zoning District. (Assessorís Parcel No. 039-130-002)
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Negative Declaration prepared.
(CONTINUED FROM JANUARY 26, 1999)
25. 11:00 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Appeal filed by Cathy Roche, on behalf of E. Richard Jones to a decision by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on October 9, 1998 to require that fill deposited in an on-site stream for a flat pad and vineyard access road be removed and the site be restored to its original condition located on two parcels east of Silverado Trail, 3884 Silverado Trail, Calistoga, within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessorís Parcel Nos. 021-010-069 and 021-010-070)
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Exempt from California Environmental Quality Act.
(CONTINUED FROM NOVEMBER 24, 1998)
26. Acting Job Training Director to present a proposal to open an Up-Valley Job Connection Satellite Center with the following requested actions:
- Personnel Director requests authorization to amend the Departmental Allocation List for Training and Employment (Budget Unit 50500) adding one (1) Employment Program Specialist I, Limited Term, effective February 6, 1999 through October 1, 1999; and
B. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign a sublease agreement with Commercial Insurance Alternatives for 330 square feet of space at 1572 Railroad Avenue, St. Helena, in the amount of $1,030.16 per month, for the term February 18, 1999 through September 30, 1999.
REGULAR CALENDAR - Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION - Continued
27. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
28. Board of Supervisorsí Committee Reports and Announcements.
29. Board of Supervisorsí Future Agenda Items.
30. Department Headsí Reports and Announcements.
- Closed Session regarding:
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Subdivision (b) of Government Code Section 54956.9: (One case)
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORSí NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.