NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY DECEMBER 5, 2000 9:00 A.M.
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Presentation of Retirement Resolution No. 00-140 and service award to Jeannette Swindell, Senior Office Assistant, Social Services, in recognition of over 22 years of service.
4. 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
5. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
6. Sheriff requests approval of the following items related to the Yountville law enforcement contract:
A. Authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 4 to Agreement No. 1841 with the Town of Yountville increasing the existing contract by $57,000 for a new estimate of $309,208;
B. Amendment of the Departmental Allocation List to add one (1) Sheriff Deputy I/II effective December 5, 2000; and
C. Budget Transfer No. 36 increasing salary appropriations by $57,000 with offsetting revenue from the Town of Yountville. (4/5 vote required)
7. Sheriff requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 34 increasing appropriations in the Sheriff's budget by $4,000 with offsetting revenue from a Kaiser Permanente donation for the purchase of bicycle helmets for Napa County youth. (4/5 vote required)
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
8. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Animal Care Equipment and Services, Inc. (ACES) for design work, construction documents and construction administration relating to the Napa County Animal Shelter for an amount equal to 9.8% of the preliminary construction estimate or 9.8% of the bid amount for construction, whichever is less, at a cost not to exceed $147,000.
9. Director of Public Works and Personnel Director request extension of the limited term of a Water and Wastewater System Operator-in-Training-Limited Term (LT) position, from December 22, 2000 to April 30, 2001.
10. Clerk of the Board requests approval of and authorization for the Registrar of Voters to establish a Central Counting Precinct at Napa County Elections Department to conduct a Consolidated General Municipal Election to be held March 6, 2001, pursuant to the following with the provision that all services rendered by the County in connection with such an election be reimbursed in full:
City of Napa Resolution Nos. R2000 213 and 2000 214
Town of Yountville Resolution Nos. 1811-00 and 1812-00
City of St. Helena Resolution Nos. 2000-128 and 2000-129
City of Calistoga Resolution Nos. 2000-81 and 2000-92
St. Helena Unified School District Resolution Nos. 00-07 and 00-08
(Resolutions of file with the Clerk of the Board)
11. Information Technology Services Director requests authorization for out-of-state travel for Rod Getsy, ITS Manager, and Brian Schumaker, IS Specialist, to attend the Silver Summit 2001 in Orlando, Florida from April 8-13, 2001 at an estimated cost of $5,700.
12. Job Training Director requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List effective December 5, 2000 as follows:
A. Delete one (1) Supervising Employment Program Specialist and add one (1) Employment Program Specialist I/II; and
B. Extend one (1) Employment Program Specialist I-Limited Term (LT) position through June 30, 2001.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
13. Library Director requests approval of the following actions pertaining to a library-based literacy grant:
A. Acceptance of a California State Library literacy grant, in the amount of $150,000 for the period ending June 30, 2001 to initiate a pilot project to promote English language skills; and
B. Approval of Budget Transfer No. 33 increasing appropriations for Services and Supplies by $136,600 and Contingencies by $13,400 with an offsetting increase in revenues of $150,000.
(4/5 vote required)
14. Library Director requests approval of the following Napa City-County Library holiday schedule for Calendar Year 2001:
Monday January 15, 2001 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Monday February 12, 2001 Lincoln’s Birthday
Monday February 19, 2001 Washington’s Birthday Observed
Monday November 12, 2001 Veteran’s Day Observed
Friday November 23, 2001 Day after Thanksgiving Day
(Napa Main Branch Library Only)
Thanksgiving Holiday Early Closure:
Wednesday November 21, 2001 Close American Canyon 5:00 P.M.
Close Napa 5:30 P.M.
Close Calistoga 6:00 P.M.
15. Personnel Director requests amendment of the Departmental Allocation List for the Local Agency Formation Commission to delete one (1) (MC) Local Agency Formation Commission Executive Officer and a .5 (C) Secretary and add one (1) (M) Local Agency Formation Commission Executive Officer and a .5 Secretary, effective December 5, 2000.
16. County Administrator requests appointment of Jeffrey L. Orstadt, MD, to the Solano-Napa-Yolo Commission on Medical Care representing Napa County Medical Society effective January 1, 2001 with the term to expire December 31, 2001.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
17. County Administrator requests adoption of the Napa County 2001 Legislative Platform.
18. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of November 21, 2000.
19. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
20. 9:15 A.M. Napa County Commission on the Status of Women to present Annual Report. (Report on file with the Clerk of the Board)
21. 9:30 A.M. Agricultural Commissioner to present update on County's activities relating to the Glassy-winged Sharpshooter.
22. 10:00 A.M. PUBLIC HEARINGS Board to consider appeal filed by Napa Citizens for Honest Government to decisions by the Conservation, Development and Planning Commission on August 2, 2000 to: i) find that the following proposed activities are within the scope of the 1998 Napa County Airport Industrial Area Park Specific Plan Update Program approved on October 20, 1998; ii) find that the 1998 Napa County Airport Industrial Area Specific Plan Update Program Environmental Impact Report adopted on October 20, 1998 adequately describes the activities for the purposes of California Environmental Quality Act; and iii) approve the following Napa Valley Gateway, Ltd. applications:
A. Tentative Parcel Map No. 95641-PM to divide four (4) parcels totaling 12.93 acres into seven (7) parcels of 0.87, 1.52, 1.60, 1.86, 1.92, 2.04 and 3.12 acres as a part of the second phase of a Development Plan which incorporates the previously approved first phase of the Development Plan;
B. Use Permit No. 95642-UP to construct a 66,414 square foot 73-room business hotel with ancillary meeting space as part of the second phase of a Development Plan which incorporates the previously approved first phase of the Development Plan with portions of the building and related architectural features exceeding the 35-foot height limit set forth in Section 18.80.050.E of the Airport Compatibility Zoning District on a proposed 3.12-acre parcel; and
C. Use Permit No. 95644-UP to construct six commercial buildings totaling 105,355 square feet for a variety of support commercial and office uses on four proposed parcels totaling 6.69 acres as part of the second phase of a Development Plan which incorporates the previously approved first phase of the Development Plan.
The affected parcels are located west of State Highway 29, north of Airport Boulevard, east of Devlin Road, and south of Gateway Road East within an Industrial Park:Airport Compatibility (IP:AC) Combination Zoning District. (Assessor's Parcel Nos. 057-200-004, 057-200-005, 057-200-006 and 057-200-007)
(CONTINUED FROM OCTOBER 10 AND NOVEMBER 14, 2000)
SET MATTERS – Continued
23. 10:30 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Conservation, Development and Planning Director requests consideration of and possible approval of the following Agricultural Preserve Contract Applications:
Contract No. Property Owner Type Acreage Assessor's Parcel No.
00204-AGK Thomas & Karen Leonardini Trust A 24.80 039-400-045
Silverado Tr. & Oak Knoll Ave.
00205-AGK Thomas & Karen Leonardini Trust A 25.28 027-100-012
Hwy 29 & Whitehall Lane
00206-AGK Thomas & Karen Leonardini Trust A 25.10 030-080-003
Galleron Lane & Mee Lane
00207-AGK Thomas & Karen Leonardini Trust A 19.04 027-160-048
00208-AGK Linda-Marie Loeb Trust H 40.00 020-430-006
Petrified Forest Road
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: This proposal would not have a significant effect on the environment and is Categorically Exempt (Class 17).
24. 11:00 A.M. Board to consider the following actions to initiate additional hours of operation at the Napa Branch of the Napa City-County Library system. (Supervisor Wagenknecht)
A. Approve Budget Transfer No. 27 appropriating revenues of $25,000 from the Library Fund 1150 Reserves, $60,000 from Contingencies, and $60,000 from the City of Napa with an offsetting total appropriation of $145,000;
B. Declare the Board’s intent to increase the hours of operation, effective upon finalization of items C and D and other necessary organizational preparations, at the Napa branch of the Napa City-County Library system (Napa Main Library) by adding open hours of service: Monday, 5:30 – 9:00 p.m.; Tuesday, 5:30 – 9:00 p.m.; Sunday, 2:00 – 9:00 p.m. (additional hours);
C. Authorize the County Administrator and Library Director to negotiate a Joint Powers Agreement (JPA) with the City of Napa to provide joint funding of additional hours by the City of Napa and the County commencing January 1, 2001 (or as soon as feasible thereafter) and continuing for a minimum of three (3) subsequent fiscal years beginning July 1, 2001; and
D. Schedule implementing actions for a future Board meeting including approval of the recommended JPA agreement, Department Allocation List changes, and amendment to the Library policies to increase hours of operation as in item B.
(4/5 VOTE REQUIRED)
(CONTINUED FROM NOVEMBER 7 AND NOVEMBER 28, 2000)
SET MATTERS – Continued
25. 12:00 P.M. Recess to Annual "Old Timers" Luncheon at The Depot Restaurant.
26. 1:30 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (NCFCWCD) meeting. (See NCFCWCD Agenda)
27. 2:00 P.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board to consider Appeal filed by The Estate of Robert/Michael Jones to a determination by the Zoning Administrator on October 2, 2000 on Certificate of Extent of Legal Nonconformity No. 99215-CLN of Robert Jones to recognize only five (5) residences with legal cooking facilities; two conforming to the Agricultural Watershed zoning and three legal nonconforming; and any allocation of the conforming and nonconforming designations to be made among Units #31, #32, #34, #22 and #1. The Applicant sought recognition of thirty-nine residential units (twenty-four units located in structures and fifteen units located in mobile-homes/trailers) on a 41.63 acre parcel at the terminus of Lokoya Road within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 034-070-011)
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Exempt from California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
(STAFF REQUESTS CONTINUANCE TO JANUARY 23, 2001 AT 10:00 A.M.)
28. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Moore, Iacofano, Goltsman, Inc. (MIG) in the amount of $16,500 to pay for work already completed as part of the Napa River Watershed Task Forces' Phase 2 Report.
29. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
30. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
31. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
REGULAR CALENDAR - Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION - Continued
32. Closed Session regarding:
A. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR (Government Code
Agency negotiator: Bruce Heid
Employee organization: Napa County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Initiation of litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c): (One Case)
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2000 AT 9:00 A.M.