NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY OCTOBER 7, 2003 9:00 A.M.
William S. Chiat
County Executive Officer
Clerk of the Board
The Board of Supervisors meets each Tuesday at 9:00 A.M. at 1195 Third Street, Suite 305, Napa, California 94559. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. Assistive listening devices and interpreters are available through the Clerk of the Board of the Napa County Board of Supervisors. Requests for disability related modifications or accommodations, aids or services may be made to the Clerk of the Board’s office no less than 72 hours prior to the meeting date by contacting (707) 253-4580 (253-6088TDD).
The agenda is divided into three sections:
CONSENT ITEMS - These matters typically include routine financial or administrative actions, as well as final adoption of ordinances that cannot be both introduced and adopted at the same meeting. Any item on the CONSENT CALENDAR will be discussed separately at the request of any person. CONSENT CALENDAR items are usually approved with a single motion.
SET MATTERS – PUBLIC HEARINGS - These items are noticed hearings, work sessions, and items with a previously set time.
ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS - These items include significant policy and administrative actions and are classified by program areas. Immediately after approval of the CONSENT CALENDAR, if the time for hearing SET MATTERS has not arrived, ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS will be considered.
ANY MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE DESIRING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON A MATTER ON THE AGENDA please proceed to the rostrum and, after receiving recognition from the Chair, give your name, address, and your comments or questions. In order that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please be brief and limit your comments to the specific subject under discussion. Time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair or Board.
AGENDA AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.co.napa.ca.us
1. CALL TO ORDER; ROLL CALL
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3. PRESENTATIONS AND COMMENDATIONS
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's posted agenda. In order to provide all interested parties an opportunity to speak, time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair. As required by Government Code, no action or discussion will be undertaken on any item raised during this Public Comment period.
5. DEPARTMENT DIRECTORS’ REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
6. CONSENT ITEMS
A. Sheriff requests the following actions regarding a grant from the State of California, Department of Boating and Waterways:
1) Acceptance and authorization for Sheriff to sign an agreement in the amount of $20,000 for Fiscal Year 2003-2004; and
2) Approval of Budget Transfer No. 16 increasing appropriations in the Sheriff’s budget by $20,000 with offsetting revenue. (4/5 vote required)
B. County Fire Chief and County Executive Officer/Purchasing Agent requests authorization to:
1) Declare three defibrillators as surplus and no longer required for public use;
2) Use as trade-ins for new defibrillators; and
3) Remove from the County’s fixed asset list.
C. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of revenue Agreement No. 4028 with the California Department of Mental Health for a maximum of $635,817 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 for the Napa County Mental Health Managed Care Program.
Human Services – Continued
D. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign agreements for the term July 1, 2001 through October 31, 2003 to provide services in the Mental Health Outpatient Managed Care Program:
1) Agreement No. 4268-1 with Del Domezio, LCSW, for $34,000;
2) Agreement No. 4543-1 with Persis Hamilton, MS RN, for $33,000;
3) Agreement No. 4060-1 with Kevin Kappler, Ph.D., for $72,000;
4) Agreement No. 4536-1 with Nina Woods, Ph.D., for $15,500; and
5) Agreement No. 4547-1 with Joni Yacoe, MFT, for $13,000.
Community Resources & Infrastructure
E. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign Amendment No. 4 to Agreement No. 4202 with the Napa County Flood Protection and Watershed Improvement Authority (NCFPWIA), increasing the amount by $44,666 for a new maximum of $1,064,666 and extending the term through June 30, 2004 for services relating to flood control projects in the unincorporated area around the City of St. Helena.
General Administration & Finance
F. Emergency Services Manager requests adoption of a resolution authorizing specified County officials to execute documents required to obtain financial assistance related to emergency services funding.
G. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution with regard to the following, effective October 11, 2003:
1) Amend the Table and Index and the Departmental Allocation List; and
2) Approve the revised class specification for Assistant to the Public Administrator/Public Guardian/Public Conservator. (Details on file with the
Clerk of the Board)
H. Human Resources Director requests adoption of Retirement Resolution No. 03-168 for
Bob Wetzler, Assistant Auditor-Controller, in recognition of over 27 years of services.
General Administration & Finance – Continued
I. Registrar of Voters requests:
1) Adoption of a resolution authorizing submission of an application to the California Secretary of State under the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) Title 1 Section 102 in the amount of $360,720 and appointing the Registrar of Voters as the Board of Supervisor’s agent in processing the application and subsequent procedures;
2) Approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign an agreement with the State of California for HAVA funds in the amount of $360,720; and
3) Approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign Amendment No. 1 to
Agreement No. 6017 with Sequoia Voting Systems to increase the amount of local share financed by the vendor by $95,279 for purchase of Phase II touch screen voting equipment.
J. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign Amendment No. 3 to Agreement No. 4330 with Deloitte & Touche, LLP, for a maximum amount of $85,000 for the term October 7, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to evaluate compliance and billing procedures.
K. County Executive Officer requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the following agreements as approved in concept at the meeting held September 16, 2003, totaling $680,000 for the term of October 1, 2003 through September 30, 2004 utilizing Tobacco Settlement Funds to provide for physical, mental health, drug and alcohol inpatient and outpatient services including prevention, education and smoking cessation programs (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board):
1) Renewal of Agreement No. 4609 with Sister Ann Community Dental Clinic for a maximum of $80,000;
2) Renewal of Agreement No. 4610 with Aldea, Inc. for a maximum of $160,000;
3) Renewal of Agreement No. 4611 with Community Health Clinic Ole for a maximum of 130,600;
4) Renewal of Agreement No. 4612 with Community Action of Napa Valley for a maximum of $147,500;
5) Agreement with Healthy Moms and Babies for a maximum of $24,100;
6) Agreement with Planned Parenthood for a maximum of $5,800;
7) Agreement with Matrix for a maximum of $25,000;
8) Agreement with Napa Valley College for a maximum of $3,000;
9) Agreement with Hospice of Napa Valley, Inc. for a maximum of $14,000;
10) Agreement with Napa-Solano Health Project for a maximum of $25,300;
11) Agreement with Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Santa Rosa for a maximum of $10,000;
12) Agreement with Juvenile Justice Network for a maximum of $10,000; and
13) Agreement with Aldea, Inc. for a maximum of $44,700.
L. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of September 23, 2003.
7. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR
8. SET MATTERS - PUBLIC HEARINGS
A. 10:00 A.M. Presentation and possible adoption of a resolution endorsing the Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities and the “Compact for a Sustainable Bay Area”.
B. 2:00 P.M. Recess to the Napa County Flood Protection and Watershed Improvement Authority (NCFPWIA) meeting (See NCFPWIA Agenda).
C. 3:30 P.M. Recess to a Special Joint Meeting with the Napa City Council at 955 School Street, Napa, California (See Special Meeting Agenda).
9. ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS
A. Discussion and possible action on the proposal to increase the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) rate from 10.5% to 12.0%, subject to voter approval, and the formation of a related Advisory Group.
(CONTINUED FROM SEPTEMBER 16, 2003)
B. County Executive Officer requests appointments from the list of applicants to the Napa County Parks and Open Space Advisory Committee for the positions listed below. The terms of office commence immediately and expire on December 31, 2005.
No. of Positions Qualification Nominated/Recommended By
2 Public District #1 Supervisor Wagenknecht
2 Public District #2 Supervisor Luce
2 Public District #3 Supervisor Dillon
2 Public District #4 Supervisor Dodd
2 Public District #5 Supervisor Rippey
1 Public/City Representative City of American Canyon
1 Public/City Representative City of Calistoga
1 Public/City Representative City of Napa
1 Public/City Representative City of St. Helena
10. LEGISLATIVE ITEMS - NONE
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ COMMITTEE REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
12. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
13. COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICER REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
14. CLOSED SESSION
A. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION (Government
Code Section 54957)
Title: County Executive Officer
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION
(Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
Name of case: Jorge Deharo, Hector Olvera, Latinos Unidos de Napa, an Unincorporated
Association v. County of Napa et. al. (Napa County Superior Court Case No. 26-22255)
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ REGULAR MEETING, TUESDAY,
OCTOBER 14, 2003 AT 9:00 A.M.