NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY OCTOBER 26, 1999 9:00 A.M.
Mary Jean McLaughlin
Clerk of the Board
The Board of Supervisors meets each Tuesday at 9:00 A.M. at 1195 Third Street, Room 305, Napa, California 94559. If you require an assistive listening device, interpreter or any other special arrangement please provide the Clerk of the Board with 24-hour notice by calling 253-4580 (253-6088TDD).
The agenda is divided into three sections:
CONSENT CALENDAR - These matters include routine financial and administrative actions, as well as the final adoption of ordinances and are approved by a single majority vote.
SET MATTERS - These items are noticed hearings, work sessions and public hearings.
REGULAR CALENDAR - These items include significant policy and administrative actions and are classified by program areas. Immediately after approval of the CONSENT CALENDAR, if the time for hearing SET MATTERS has not arrived, the REGULAR CALENDAR will be considered.
ANY MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE DESIRING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON A MATTER ON THE AGENDA please proceed to the rostrum and, after receiving recognition from the Chair, give your name, address, and your comments or questions. In order that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please be brief and limit your comments to the specific subject under discussion. Time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair or Board.
AGENDA AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.co.napa.ca.us
1. Call to Order; Roll Call.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
- 9:00 A.M. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's agenda. Individuals will be limited to a three-minute presentation. No action will be taken by the Board of Supervisors as a result of any item presented at this time.
4. District Attorney requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 18 in the amount of $2,050 from the Asset Forfeiture Trust Fund (Budget Unit 22400) to purchase seven (7) 17" monitors.
5. Assessor/Recorder-County Clerk requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 17 in the amount of $28,420 increasing Appropriations in the Assessor (Budget Unit 11700), Treasurer/Tax Collector (Budget Unit 11600) and Auditor-Controller (Budget Unit 11000) departments with offsetting revenue from the AB 818 State-County Property Tax Administration Loan Program funds, to establish as fixed assets five (5) high capacity laser printers in the amount of $19,120 and to purchase workstations and computer equipment as part of the new integrated property tax system.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3749 with Ron Haimowitz, Ph.D., increasing the amount by $910 for a new maximum of $1,960 for services to an additional client of the Children’s Behavioral Health Programs.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
HUMAN SERVICES – Continued
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 3873 with Catholic Charities for a maximum of $87,550 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2000 to provide prevention education services to adolescents at risk or with histories of alcohol or drug abuse.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency and Personnel Director request amendment of the Departmental Allocation List in Behavioral Health (Budget Unit 42000), Health and Human Services Agency-Administration (Budget Unit 50000) and Social Services (Budget Unit 50100) with a net increase of .25 Full-Time Equivalent (FTE), effective October 30, 1999 as follows:
- Add one (1) Supervising Mental Health Counselor II-Licensed, one (1) Staff Services Analyst I/II, one (1) Supervising Account Clerk-Limited Term (LT) through June 30, 2000, and one (1) Mental Health Counselor-Licensed; and
- Delete one (1) Administrative Services Officer, one (1) Eligibility Supervisor II (LT), one (1) Supervising Drinking Driver Program (DDP) Counselor, and one (1) .75 Mental Health Counselor.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency and Personnel Director request amendment of the Departmental Allocation List in Behavioral Health (Budget Unit 42000) to add one (1) Staff Services Analyst I/II-Limited Term (LT), effective October 30, 1999 through June 30, 2000.
- Director of Health and Human Services Agency and Personnel Director request amendment of the Department Allocation List in Behavioral Health (Budget Unit 42000) and Social Services (Budget Unit 50100) with no net position increase, effective October 30, 1999 as follows:
- Add three (3) Supervising Mental Health Counselor II and three (3) Alcohol & Drug Counselor III positions; and
- Delete three (3) Supervising Mental Health Counselor I and three (3) Alcohol & Drug Counselor I/II positions.
(Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
- Director of Conservation, Development and Planning Department requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign Amendment No. 5 to Agreement No. 3527 with the City of American Canyon extending the term through June 30, 2000 for the provision of hourly back-up building inspection services to the City of American Canyon.
- Director of Environmental Management requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the State Office of Emergency Services for $18,664 for the term August 2, 1999 through March 31, 2000 to assist facilities handling hazardous materials assess and prepare against Y2K-related accidental hazardous material releases.
- Director of Environmental Management requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with Steele Park Resort to provide for the operation of a used oil Collection Program.
- Director of Public Works requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 19, transferring $50,000 from the Capital Projects-Building and Maintenance account (Budget Unit 16000) to a new appropriation for Health and Human Services General Maintenance (Budget Unit 15200) to more accurately track and identify expenditures.
- Board of Supervisors meeting as the Board of Directors of the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District:
- Approve minutes of the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District meetings of July 20, September 15 and September 21, 1999.
- District Engineer requests authorization:
- To issue a Request for Proposals for an Engineering and Financial Master Plan for the water and wastewater systems at the Napa-Berryessa Resort Improvement District; and
- For District Engineer to sign a contract for such services with the chosen consultant.
- District Engineer requests approval of Budget Transfer No. 21 transferring $15,000 from the Napa/Berryessa Water and Wastewater capital accounts into a fixed asset account in the same budget (Budget Unit 06800) for the purchase of an emergency generator.
CONSENT CALENDAR – Continued
- Housing Director requests approval of the following actions pertaining to the Rental Assistance Program:
- Approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an agreement with the Napa County Council for Economic Opportunity (NCCEO) in the amount of $25,000 for the term July 1, 1999 through June 30, 2001 to provide continued funding of the Rental Assistance Program; and
- Authorization to expend $25,000 from the Affordable Housing Trust Fund to fund the agreement.
- Library Director requests the following:
- Authorization to apply for two grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; the first, not to exceed $25,000 for computer equipment for public access; the second, not to exceed $40,000 for computer training lab equipment; and
- Authorization for Chairman to sign the grant applications.
- County Administrator requests approval of proposed response to the Grand Jury Auditor’s Report for 1997/98 and authorization for Chairman to sign the letter transmitting the response to the Presiding Judge of the Superior Court and the Grand Jury Audit Committee.
- County Administrator requests adoption of a resolution confirming and continuing the Proclamation of Local Emergency declared on October 21, 1999 relating to the fire known as the Sixteen Fire which commenced October 16, 1999.
- Appoint Mary Bauer to serve as Alternate Member on the Napa County Child Care Planning Council on an interim basis, with final appointment of Alternate to be made once the recruitment process has been completed.
- Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of October 5, 1999.
22. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR.
23. 9:10 A.M. Presentation of resolution recognizing Rafael Rios who was named Farmworker of the Year.
24. 9:10 A.M. Closed Session regarding:
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b): (Two cases)
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION (Government Code Section 54956.9(a)):
Name of case(s):
i) Alan Cowardin et al. v. Board of Supervisors for the County of Napa and John Tuteur, Registrar of Voters for the County of Napa. (Napa Superior Court Case No. 26-07036)
- Sierra Club v. County of Napa, et al. (Napa Superior Court Case
- Sierra Club v. County of Napa, et al. (Napa Superior Court Case
- 9:15 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Housing Director requests approval of and authorization for Chairman to sign an Affordable Housing Transfer Agreement with the City of Napa for the Whistle Stop Townhomes project.
26. 9:15 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING Board to consider appeal filed by Mary Akens, Attorney for Mennen Environmental Foundation, Concerned Citizens for Napa Hillsides, Sierra Club to Conservation, Development and Planning Commission decision to approve Jean-Noel Fourmeaux/The Best Cellar – Use Permit No. 98214 UP for an exception to the Conservation Regulations to develop approximately 4.3 acres of vineyard on slopes over 30% within a 6.9 acre contiguous vineyard area comprised of three blocks located on the west side of Mt. Veeder Road, approximately 4,000 feet south of Oakville Grade within an Agricultural Watershed (AW) Zoning District. (Assessor’s Parcel No. 034-350-035)
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: Negative Declaration adopted.
(STAFF RECOMMENDS BOARD REMAND THIS MATTER TO STAFF TO
REVISE INITIAL STUDY AND SCHEDULE FURTHER HEARING BEFORE
THE CONSERVATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING COMMISSION)
27. 9:30 A.M. Public Defender requests authorization to submit a response to the Napa Consolidated Courts Request for Proposals for attorney services in dependency and/or family law matters.
28. 9:35 A.M. County Administrator requests adoption of a resolution supporting Census 2000 and establishing the Napa County Complete Count Committee.
29. 9:45 A.M. Acceptance of County Administrator’s report and direction to staff on the proposal to increase the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) from 10.5% to 12%.
30. 11:00 A.M. PUBLIC HEARING County Administrator requests authorization for the issuance of a Letter of Public Convenience and Necessity allowing the transfer of a Type 20 Retail Off-Sale Alcoholic Beverage License from Vintage Directions, Inc., at 2501 Oak Street, Napa, to Vintage Directions, Inc., at 110 Camino Oruga, Napa.
- County Administrator requests acceptance of the listing of applicants for one (1) opening on the Napa County Commission on Self-Esteem representing the Community at Large and consideration of the appointment for November 2, 1999 with the term of office to expire January 1, 2002:
Jeanette Clare Marcia
Teri L. Price
Patt S. Gorsvch
- Discussion and possible appointment of one (1) member of the Board of Supervisors and one (1) alternate to serve on the California State Association of Counties (CSAC) Board of Directors for calendar year 2000 with the term to expire December 31, 2000.
33. Discussion and possible action regarding legislation.
REGULAR CALENDAR – Continued
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION – Continued
34. Board of Supervisors’ Committee Reports and Announcements.
35. Board of Supervisors’ Future Agenda Items.
36. Department Heads’ Reports and Announcements.
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING.