NAPA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY OCTOBER 14, 2003 9:00 A.M.
William S. Chiat
County Executive Officer
Clerk of the Board
The Board of Supervisors meets each Tuesday at 9:00 A.M. at 1195 Third Street, Suite 305, Napa, California 94559. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. Assistive listening devices and interpreters are available through the Clerk of the Board of the Napa County Board of Supervisors. Requests for disability related modifications or accommodations, aids or services may be made to the Clerk of the Board’s office no less than 72 hours prior to the meeting date by contacting (707) 253-4580 (253-6088TDD).
The agenda is divided into three sections:
CONSENT ITEMS - These matters typically include routine financial or administrative actions, as well as final adoption of ordinances that cannot be both introduced and adopted at the same meeting. Any item on the CONSENT CALENDAR will be discussed separately at the request of any person. CONSENT CALENDAR items are usually approved with a single motion.
SET MATTERS – PUBLIC HEARINGS - These items are noticed hearings, work sessions, and items with a previously set time.
ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS - These items include significant policy and administrative actions and are classified by program areas. Immediately after approval of the CONSENT CALENDAR, if the time for hearing SET MATTERS has not arrived, ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS will be considered.
ANY MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE DESIRING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON A MATTER ON THE AGENDA please proceed to the rostrum and, after receiving recognition from the Chair, give your name, address, and your comments or questions. In order that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please be brief and limit your comments to the specific subject under discussion. Time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair or Board.
AGENDA AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.co.napa.ca.us
1. CALL TO ORDER; ROLL CALL
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3. PRESENTATIONS AND COMMENDATIONS - NONE
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
In this time period, anyone may address the Board of Supervisors regarding any subject over which the Board has jurisdiction but which is not on today's posted agenda. In order to provide all interested parties an opportunity to speak, time limitations shall be at the discretion of the Chair. As required by Government Code, no action or discussion will be undertaken on any item raised during this Public Comment period.
5. DEPARTMENT DIRECTORS’ REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
6. CONSENT ITEMS
A. Napa Special Investigations Bureau (NSIB) Governing Board requests authorization for the following actions in connection with the distribution of $64,000 from seized and forfeited funds from narcotic/drug trafficking investigations in Napa County:
1) Distribution from the Asset Forfeiture Trust Fund to the member agencies by percentage calculated by the NSIB Governing Board as follows:
a) Napa Sheriff’s Department $28,160 (44%)
b) Napa Police Department $16,000 (25%)
c) Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement $7,680 (12%)
d) St. Helena Police Department $6,080 (9.5%)
e) Calistoga Police Department $6,080 (9.5%)
2) Approval of Budget Transfer No. 18 increasing appropriations for Services and Supplies by $7,680 in the NSIB budget, with an offsetting increase in Revenues.
(4/5 vote required)
B. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the renewal of Agreement No. 4821 with Clarence Myhre for a maximum of $3,000 for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 to provide maintenance of the Regional Emergency System Electronic Prehospital Care Information System.
Human Services – Continued
C. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign renewals of the following agreements for the term July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2004 for the provision of HIV Prevention/Community Planning services:
1) Agreement No. 3823 with Aldea, Inc., for a maximum of $23,331;
2) Agreement No. 3824 with Community Health Clinic Ole for a maximum of $33,409; and
3) Agreement No. 3825 with Napa-Solano Health Project for a maximum of $77,796.
D. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the following amendments to provide counseling services in the Children’s Behavioral Health and Child Welfare Services Programs:
1) Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 3749 with Ron Haimowitz, Ph.D., increasing the amount by $8,250 for a new maximum of $19,900;
2) Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4337 with Daniel Lott, Ph.D., increasing the amount by $12,000 for a new maximum of $16,000;
3) Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4591 with Gregory Matsumoto, Psy.D., increasing the amount by $8,400 for a new maximum of $11,950;
4) Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4601 with Del Domezio, LCSW, increasing the amount by $5,400 for a new maximum of $8,200;
5) Amendment No. 2 to Agreement No. 4710 with Robert Zemanek, MFT, increasing the amount by $25,200 for a new maximum of $37,100;
6) Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4823 with Joni Yacoe, MFT, increasing the amount by $2,250 for a new maximum of $3,750; and
7) Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 4936 with Judith Speed, Ph.D., increasing the amount by $6,600 for a new maximum of $9,550.
E. Director of Health and Human Services requests adoption of a resolution amending the terms of a revolving fund established by Resolution No. 95-79, to change the program eligibility from Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) to CalWORKs and to designate officers of the County authorized to issue immediate need and homeless assistance payments.
Community Resources & Infrastructure
F. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign an agreement with Environmental Science Associates (ESA) for a maximum of $332,921 for the term October 14, 2003 through June 30, 2004 for preparation of Initial Study and related CEQA documents in connection with Use Permit # 02585-UP (Airport Realty, LLC).
Community Resources & Infrastructure - Continued
G. Director of Conservation, Development and Planning requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign an agreement with Environmental Science Associates (ESA) for a maximum of $95,205 for the term October 14, 2003 through June 30, 2004 for preparation of Initial Study and related CEQA documents in connection with Erosion Control Applications
#99376-ECPA (Hudson Vineyards), #01259-ECPA (Saintsbury Winery) and #03376-ECPA (Hudson Vineyards).
H. Library Director requests authorization to accept a grant from the California State Library, Public Library Staff Education Program, in the amount of $3,548 for Fiscal Year 2003/2004.
I. Director of Public Works requests approval of and authorization for Chair to sign Amendment
No. 1 to Agreement No. 4846 with Bell Products Inc., increasing the amount by $3,120 for new maximum of $12,714, to include maintenance of the Hall of Justice chiller units.
J. Director of Public Works requests adoption of the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program methodology and goal for Fiscal Year 2003/2004. (Detail on file with Clerk of the Board)
K. Watershed Information Center and Watershed Conservancy Board (WIC/WC) recommends approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign a letter in support of the Napa Green Certification Program (NGCP) for funding from the State Water Resources Control Board.
General Administration & Finance
L. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution amending the Departmental Allocation List in the County Executive Office to delete one (1) Assistant Purchasing Agent position and add one (1) Management Analyst III position, with no net increase in the total number of positions, effective October 14, 2003.
M. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution amending the Departmental Allocation List for the Library with regards to deleting a .5 Literacy Project Associate Limited Term (LT) position and adding a 1.0 Literacy Project Associate Limited Term (LT) position funded through June 30, 2004, effective October 25, 2003.
General Administration & Finance – Continued
N. Human Resources Director requests adoption of a resolution with regard to the following, effective October 14, 2003:
1) Amend the Departmental Allocation List with regards to the County Executive Office and Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) Administration;
2) Approve the revised class specification for Compliance Officer (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board); and
3) Approval of Budget Transfer No. 19 transferring $64,000 from the HHSA Administration budget to the County Executive Office budget to fund the position. (4/5 vote required)
O. Regional Training Employment Coordinator requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign an agreement with Don Huffman dba Huffman Communications for $30,000 for the term October 1, 2003 through January 15, 2004 to provide publication design and printing services.
P. County Executive Officer requests approval of the amended Rules and Regulations Relative to the Personnel Practices Policy, deleting the requirement of having the Board approve revised class specifications, effective October 14, 2003. (Details on file with the Clerk of the Board)
Q. County Executive Officer requests appointment of the Town of Yountville nominee, Chip Bouril, to the Napa County Parks and Open Space Advisory Committee, for a term of office to commence immediately and expire on December 31, 2005.
R. County Executive Officer requests the following reappointments/appointments to the Advisory Board on Alcohol and Drug Programs with the term of office to commence immediately and expire January 1, 2006:
Gerald L. Heminez Interested Citizen
Victoria Hunt Interested Citizen
Susan Moore* Interested Citizen
Denys J. Michaud* Interested Citizen
S. Approve minutes of Board of Supervisors’ meeting of September 30, 2003.
7. DISCUSSION OF ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR
8. SET MATTERS - PUBLIC HEARINGS - NONE
9. ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS
A. Discussion and possible action regarding County costs associated with Napa State Hospital.
B. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of the following actions regarding the Safe and Drug Free Schools and Communities grant from the Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs:
1) Acceptance of the grant in the amount of $560,888 for a three year period;
2) Authorization for the Interim Alcohol and Drug Administrator to execute the Notice of Grant award; and
3) Budget Transfer No. 17 increasing appropriations by $98,077 with offsetting revenue in the Alcohol and Drug budget. (4/5 vote required)
C. Director of Health and Human Services requests approval of and authorization for the Chair to sign the Children’s Medical Services Plan and Budget for Fiscal Year 2003/2004.
D. County Executive Officer requests discussion and possible direction to staff regarding a proposed Memorandum of Understanding between the County and the City of American Canyon related to the coordination of regional housing needs and other areas of cooperation.
E. Discussion and possible direction on whether reports should be prepared as authorized by Elections Code Section 9111 analyzing the effects of three separate initiative petitions involving general plan amendments and changes to the County Zoning Ordinance involving agricultural lands.
ENVIRONMENTAL DETERMINATION: It can be seen with certainty that there is no possibility the proposed action may have a significant effect on the environment and therefore CEQA is not applicable. [See Guidelines for the Implementation of the California Environmental Quality Act, 14 CCR 15061(b)(3)]
10. LEGISLATIVE ITEMS - NONE
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ COMMITTEE REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
12. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
13. COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICER REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
14. CLOSED SESSION
A. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION
(Government Code Section 54956.9 (a))
Names of cases:
1) Jorge Deharo, Hector Olvera, Latinos Unidos de Napa, an Unincorporated
Association v. County of Napa et. al. (Case No. 26-22255)
2) Napa Valley Land Stewards Alliance v. Napa County Board of Supervisors
(Case No. 26-21346)
3) Sierra Club v. Board of Supervisors (Case No. 26-17241)
4) PG&E, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District, San Francisco Division
(Case No. 01-30923)
5) Montgomery Wards, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware
(Case No. 97-1409)
6) Napa Citizens for Honest Government et al v. Napa County Board of Supervisors (Case No. 26-04014)
B. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code Section 54956.9:
ADJOURN TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ SPECIAL JOINT MEETING WITH THE CITY
OF AMERICAN CANYON ON THURSDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2003 AT 7:30 P.M. AT THE RECREATION CENTER, 2185 ELLIOTT DRIVE, AMERICAN CANYON, CALIFORNIA.